Oct 18, 2018
Hey y'all,

So, as my title states, I'm 28. I have a BA in Education, and I am considering medical school. For years, I had wanted to get my masters and to become an NP. I wanted to be a nurse before I became a teacher, and hey, guess what, I hated teaching in the public school system.

The more I think about it, though, the more I realize that I want to be the one to take away the pain, to solve the puzzle of why patient is feeling the way they are, to put the pieces back together. I know it sounds cheesey, but it's my truth.

When I went through community college 8-10 years ago, I jacked around and had not so great grades. I think I was a C-average. I graduated my BA program with a 3.6, though.

Because it has been so long, however, since I have taken any sort of science course, those units won't transfer from my school. So I get to retake them, which is a blessing, I suppose!

Will submitting new, current grades be problematic should I pursue this path? Should I pursue another bachelors degree? Do I need to take just the science and math pre-reqs? My degree didn't require anything a health degree would.

Medic741

2+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student
Have you completed any prereqs? Prereqs are a ****. They’ll also shed some light on whether this path is something you’re really interested in. As a reality check, the path you’re interested in requires an enormous amount of sacrifice and hard work even before medical school. Any shadowing or healthcare experience?

Last edited:
Reactions: libertyyne

el_duderino

Some men play tennis, I erode the human soul
7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2012
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
What do you mean, those units won't transfer? Are you thinking of getting another undergrad degree? I'd say that's unnecessary. Calculate what your current cGPA is (that's your total GPA over all college classes ever taken), and make a plan for how you will knock out the prereqs. You can just take the classes without being in a degree program.

Taking all the math and science prereqs will probably take 2+ years.

About the Ads
Oct 18, 2018
Have you completed any prereqs? Prereqs are a ****. They’ll also shed some light on whether this path is something you’re really interested in. As a reality check, the path you’re interested in requires an enormous amount of sacrifice and hard work even before medical school. Any shadowing or healthcare experience?

I'm currently working as a medical biller, and I have shadowing set up to start in January at Kaiser. I have done some prereqs, like anatomy, biology for health science majors, and micro, and I absolutely loved them. I didn't do well in them, at 19, because I was taking 16 units and working full time. I'm fine with the handwork and sacrifice-- I'm afforded the luxury of not having to work a job during school should I choose to return.

Reactions: Medic741
Oct 18, 2018
What do you mean, those units won't transfer? Are you thinking of getting another undergrad degree? I'd say that's unnecessary. Calculate what your current cGPA is (that's your total GPA over all college classes ever taken), and make a plan for how you will knock out the prereqs. You can just take the classes without being in a degree program.

Taking all the math and science prereqs will probably take 2+ years.

The school I did my pre-reqs at will not transfer them after so many years, and it has passed that threshold.

I'm considering it, only because with the amount of prereqs I'd have to take, it may be worth my time.

Apr 9, 2017
Arizona
Status
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
All grades you have ever earned will be used in determining your GPA for med school admissions. So even if your grades won't transfer for another degree they will be used to calculate GPA for admissions. A 2nd degree isn't beneficial to admissions only do it if you see that degree as a backup to not getting into med school (only 40% get into MD). Often times the classes that are marked for health science won't count for prereqs. You could take 2 years and just do straight prereqs to knock them out quickly.

Medic741

2+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student
I'm currently working as a medical biller, and I have shadowing set up to start in January at Kaiser. I have done some prereqs, like anatomy, biology for health science majors, and micro, and I absolutely loved them. I didn't do well in them, at 19, because I was taking 16 units and working full time. I'm fine with the handwork and sacrifice-- I'm afforded the luxury of not having to work a job during school should I choose to return.
Awesome! Getting on this course it’s important to know what you’re getting into, sounds like you have some good exposure! You’re absolutely in a position to make your dreams happen, and from here the steps aren’t too complicated. Finish the pre-reqs, formally shadow and volunteer during all that. Then MCAT and apply! Have you looked into or thought about a formal post-bacc to complete these courses?

Also, DO schools are something to consider.

Reactions: magkaffee
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads