Aug 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Im going to start at a Community College, than transfer to a University after about a year..

What classes should I take at the Community College?
(I heard that I should NOT take my prereqs at a CC.)

So what should I take there? They offer Biology,Chemistry and all kinds of stuff....

Ive also been told i should try to finish all my General Education there, so when I transfer I'll only have to do the classe's for whatever major I decide to major in...?

And if I should do my General Education at a CC, how do I find out what General Education I need to graduate from a University...?

Help?

(P.S. I want to be a Dentist eventually, after this LONG road ahead of me lol)

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
You just said on another thread that you want to do medical and would only do dental as a backup plan, so why would pre-dents help you out? You might want to transfer this to the pre-med forum.

HossIX949

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Irvine, CA
Status
Pre-Dental
Finish your IGETC classes & 1 year general bio + 1 year Calc + 1 year general chem.

I personally did all of the above + 1 year of ochem & a genetics class at the cc i was at before i transferred (all my professors taught upper graduate classes at UCI) and i see no problem with it.

When it comes down to it your goal is to do well, ergo, rape your cc classes and the classes when you transfer to a 4 year. I doubt any adcom will look down on you for taking pre-reqs at a cc because you want to save money, especially when you have demonstrated that you do as well in you're uni level classes as you have in your cc classes.

Jun 19, 2009
Status
You don't even have a GED or high school diploma.

Unless you already have a decent math background (ie intermediate algebra) you won't even be able to take general chemistry or biology.

You may just end up spending two quarters taking remedial courses.

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
Finish your IGETC classes & 1 year general bio + 1 year Calc + 1 year general chem.

I personally did all of the above + 1 year of ochem & a genetics class at the cc i was at before i transferred (all my professors taught upper graduate classes at UCI) and i see no problem with it.

When it comes down to it your goal is to do well, ergo, rape your cc classes and the classes when you transfer to a 4 year. I doubt any adcom will look down on you for taking pre-reqs at a cc because you want to save money, especially when you have demonstrated that you do as well in you're uni level classes as you have in your cc classes.
QFT, very good post here. The only thing I would say is to look into a semester of calc and a semester of stats instead of the year, because some schools want stats, and most schools only need a semester of calc, if they need it at all. I actually went a bit above and beyond and took all of my pre-reqs at my CC (Cypress College), including Physics, and then transferred to UCI, and did well on my upper division classes. I'm guessing Hoss went to IVC, another great CC.

Either way, often times it's very difficult to transfer to a four year university biology program if you've taken no biology or chemistry. And as long as you don't have your heart set on one of the few dental schools that refuse to take any CC credit, like Tufts for example, it's really not a big deal taking a few pre-reqs at the CC. Though I wouldn't suggest going as far as I did, hehe, but heck, I still got in to a number of great schools.

As far as what Six said, it's true, you might not meet the pre-reqs for the Math and Science classes, and in that case you'll have to take them, or test into them - just something you'll have to do.

BiomajorPreDent

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Find out the general education courses required for the university you want to attend, then take those classes or equivalent ones and make sure the university will tranfer them. Then take them at your CC

ex: college writing, psychology, math (stats and calc), humanities class like philosophy, sociology

dont take any biological sciences or chemistry classes at CC

most dental schools require 8 credits of Bio, Chem, OChem, and Physics. so avoid those until university

good luck

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
I'm sure a great number of the schools on the list which say they accept absolutely no CC credit are more than willing to bend their rules, I know they did for me. I took all of my pre-reqs at the CC, and I was accepted to one of the schools that said they take no CC credit. Like I said before, unless your number one choice is one of the few schools that are strict on that rule, taking no science classes at the CC will put you very far behind. At the very least take the year of general biology or general chemistry so you can take junior level classes once you transfer.

Taking no science classes means that you'll be taking your year of General Bio and Gchem as a junior, and Physics and Ochem as a senior, on top of all of the upper division classes you'll need to graduate - and that's if you can even get enrolled in those classes. This easily spells 5-6 years to graduate unless you're obscenely smart and have amazing study skills.