Starting clinical rotations after a year off- how to get ready?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressmonkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am finishing up a year off (did a research fellowship) and am wondering if y'all have any advice on what to do to get ready for clinical rotations. Do I just go over the physical exam/physical diagnosis stuff and pharm cards or should I be reading review books for the rotation I start on (Medicine)? I feel like I have forgotten almost everything......Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have some experience with this situation. During my research year I did some light reading on each of the 6 core rotation topics between experiments and such to stay on top of things. Also did some number of questions from various question books. I don't think the physical exam or pharm card stuff is all that useful since very little of your third year grades are based on those.

You won't have any problems. I was out for 4 years during grad school. I skimmed through first aid for step 2 and wards, and haven't had any problems. You pick all that stuff back up quickly.