Starting courses late...when to take Mcat? (Am I screwed?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jared22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Firstly, Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to read this.

Im going to be a junior next fall semester at a small Liberal Arts school. The first 2 years of my college career I did not take many science classes because I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do.

This semester I decided to be a chemistry major and began taking the first chemistry major class.

Now, I have very little major classes completed, certainly not enough to take the Mcat my junior year. So, should I complete all the courses recommended first, and then take the mcat, say, senior year, or even 5th year?

I don't mind being in undergrad for more than 4 years, I just want to do what is best.

GPA: 3.5
No research.
Shadowed a doctor 40+ hours.
Volunteered 50+ hours.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's really important to complete all the required courses before taking the mcat: gchem, ochem, bio, and physics. The only one you could get away with skipping is ochem 2.
So, what courses have you completed so far? If you work really hard and take summer classes, you can probably take the mcat the summer before your senior year.

I agree. The only one I think that is not that important is ochem II because ochem is not tested that much.

Personally, I switched gears and had to go back and complete two years over after I had my BA. I would highly recommend getting biochem and physio in before the MCAT too.

It is a marathon and not a race. I do not mind waiting around myself because I took the time to make all A's in my science prereqs.

You need a good GPA and MCAT to get into med school.

I would take the courses at a pace that allows me to keep a 3.8+ science GPA. One more year will not matter in the end as long as it is productive and gives you a better shot at med school.

Thanks so much J DUB and jgberken for your input. I really appreciate it.

I agree that its most important to fulfill the required courses to take the mcat. My main concern is...do med schools frown upon not taking the mcat junior year?

Thanks so much J DUB and jgberken for your input. I really appreciate it.

I agree that its most important to fulfill the required courses to take the mcat. My main concern is...do med schools frown upon not taking the mcat junior year?

No, they don't. Plenty of people take a year off after college to study for it. It doesn't matter when you take it. You really only need two intro bio courses, half a year of o chem, the full year of physics, and a full year of g chem to take the MCAT. You might be better off finishing with your current major and just incorporating these classes if you have already made significant progress towards your degree...that is, unless you really enjoy chemistry. If medical school is your ultimate goal then A/P/quantum chem is not the easiest way to ge there. I really enjoy physics and pursued it with no regrets...