Starting D1 soon and about to move-in...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilDoc23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for what to buy or bring to my apartment (just about to start dental school)? Any thing that I should be aware of that I might overlook? I'm getting a little anxious as orientation gets closer.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any tips for what to buy or bring to my apartment (just about to start dental school)? Any thing that I should be aware of that I might overlook? I'm getting a little anxious as orientation gets closer.
Thanks

Uh, furniture? I don't really understand what you are asking. You need to have a normal apartment, just as you would for any other school or job. Don't be anxious. There is nothing for you to do now, but relax. Dental school is stressful enough without adding extra anxiety. Best of luck!

It's hard to say exactly what you'll need without knowing what you already have. I'd recommend you bring your essentials (clothes, toiletries, etc) with you. Buy the rest there. For furniture, check craigslist for cheap deals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know what I need for the most part. Obviously, I need furniture, clothes, toiletries, and so on. I have lots of furniture and all of my stuff from college. To make myself more clear, is there anything that you bought or have that is useful or that makes life easier as a dental student? I don't know... anything that may be helpful that not many people think of or have.

If you drink coffee, save yourself some money and get a coffee maker instead of spending tons on Starbucks every day.

Also, having been through first year already, I don't know if I would spend money on cable tv until you know how much time you will have to watch, unless of course you have Tivo, and then you're good.

If your new apartment has washer and dryer hookup I would highly recommend getting a set. It doesn't have to be new, it just has to work. It saves a lot of time being able to do laundry in your own apartment and not have to check on it at the laundry facility or going off-site to do your laundry.

If you like to cook, invest in some tupperware so you can freeze food. When I have a free weekend with not as much studying as usual, I tend to cook a couple of meals, separate them into single portions, and freeze them. So after a late night, or when I don't have time to cook, I can just reheat.

Also... buy a lunchbox or lunch bag. You will want to bring your lunch to school to save money.

Things I oculd not live without and I'm very happy that I bought :

- Coffeemaker and reusable mug (saves me a TON of money)
- TV (I bought a DVD player and a GameCube because I'm too cheap for cable)
- Netflix
- Lunch bag (save money by taking my own lunch with me).

Hope that helps,but it really does take a little while for you to figure out what will work best for you. :)

An industrial sized 55 gallon drum of KY to prepare yourself for the raping. I think noise cancellation headphones are a must, great for things like practicals so that you can zone some people out and an excuse not to listen to people. Those mooshie neck pillows are great for sleeping in class. I phones, yeah I hate apple, but they do have eppocrates software now, turning it into the greatest patient scheduler, drug reference, googling, picture taking, oh yeah and phone on earth.

An industrial sized 55 gallon drum of KY to prepare yourself for the raping. I think noise cancellation headphones are a must, great for things like practicals so that you can zone some people out and an excuse not to listen to people. Those mooshie neck pillows are great for sleeping in class. I phones, yeah I hate apple, but they do have eppocrates software now, turning it into the greatest patient scheduler, drug reference, googling, picture taking, oh yeah and phone on earth.
:laugh: lol, also iphones are just plain great for surfing the net during lecture.

haha... thanks guys for all the input. anybody else have anything to add?

Professors always say there aren't any dumb questions. And because I agree with the profs, I felt the need to waste some time to tell you to grow some balls and just wing it. It's not like you're going to the top of Everest or descending into THE Cave where you aren't getting resupplied for months ~ you're going to be in the middle of a city, and there's probably a convenience store around the corner of your apt. Anything other than what you can find at a convenience store, you can wait for a care package from your mother, through mail order, or searching through Craigslist.

I moved to Boston with 1 piece of luggage, a credit card, and a checkbook. I'm sure you can too.

What is THE Cave? Sounds ominous.

Also... buy a lunchbox or lunch bag. You will want to bring your lunch to school to save money.

Get a Japanese bento box like this one. They're small, come with little chopsticks, and are great conversation starters. I've been using one everyday for years now and love it. I bet you could find some bento boxes here. Of course, you'd have to chop up your cheesesteak and smash it in, and there's no space for 1-liter bottles of diet Coke...

Members don't see this ad :)
I moved to Boston with 1 piece of luggage, a credit card, and a checkbook. I'm sure you can too.[/quote]

Of course you can! if your mommy and daddy supply the checkbook.:D

Of course you can! if your mommy and daddy supply the checkbook.:D

I'm not fresh out of undergrad. And if your parents aren't paying, then your bank or wife is paying for you. Either way, someone is supplying you with the money and you'd pay em back no matter what ~ so yes, checkbook, credit card, and 1 piece of luggage.

My fixed prosthodontics professor said when he was in dental school, he had a broken-arm centrifuge in his apartment so he could cast his own crowns. Odd, but I'm sure it would be a conversation starter for any guests that stop by... :hungover:

Mike

I doubt indecisive pansies like the topic creator is going into air force ~ so I didn't suggest it.

what is your deal? how about you chill out and back off. i don't think what I asked warranted your snotty and rude remarks. i am just looking for some hindsight from those who have already been through this. and for your information, i have just finished applying for the army hpsp (and would have joined the air force if they were still offering the 4 yr hpsp)

what is your deal? how about you chill out and back off. i don't think what I asked warranted your snotty and rude remarks. i am just looking for some hindsight from those who have already been through this. and for your information, i have just finished applying for the army hpsp (and would have joined the air force if they were still offering the 4 yr hpsp)

AF does offer the 4 year HPSP. I would recommend sticking with the AF if you're looking for the most civilian aspect of dentistry (rare deployments, etc).

I'd shy away from the army. AF has some outstanding benefits. 25K loan after 3rd year at 2-3% interest. Auto insurance that is virtually unbeatable. 1900/mo stipend. Yes, yes...govt owns you, but during a time when your production would be minimal, when educational expenses are off the charts, and an ill favored war has been dragging on forever...I would say it's a gamble that doesn't even pale in comparison to those taking on heavy debt with an overhaul in healthcare becoming more and more a topic of heated debate.

I assure you, it may not happen in the next presidential term, but when all the baby boomers hit retirement they WILL look out for number one - THEMSELVES. When a person's health is compromised, they'll switch party lines on a dime. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel America's values have had a major paradigm shift between our parents and our grandparent's. Between our generation and our parent's generation there is a much greater sense of INDEPENDENCE whereas with our parent's and grandparent's generation there was a much greater focus on FAMILY values. If people can't afford healthcare now, how are they going to afford it in the future? My concern is that those with 200K+ debt (which is so easy to accumulate with undergrad loans nowadays) need to shield themselves from uncertainty. Any stock broker will tell you that. Sorry, that became a rant.

As far as what you need for dental school...absolutely nothing. Just an earnest desire to improve a patient's standard of living while protecting your own at the same time.

Last edited:
if you have a car, get it tuned up and have all maintenance done before school so you dont have to deal with it during school.

upgrade your computer, or start a new by reformatting. like the car thing, better make sure your stuff works when you start because it would suck if it starts acting up during school.

relax and enjoy the remaining time you have. dental school is stressful enough.

If you live at home:
start cleaning out your room and remove junk if you haven't. You might end up collecting a new pile of junk during dental school but have no place to store it.

If you move out:
get there a week or 2 before school starts to scope out the area and get familiar with it. This might also be a good time to look on CL for some cheap furnitures.

If there's any unfinished business you have to do or plan on doing, better to get it done before school. Even if you have to spend a little extra money to get it done quicker. Once school starts, money will come second to time.

If I missed anything out, please fill me in.

If there's any unfinished business you have to do or plan on doing, better to get it done before school. Even if you have to spend a little extra money to get it done quicker. Once school starts, money will come second to time.

true.

If you drink coffee, save yourself some money and get a coffee maker instead of spending tons on Starbucks every day.

Also, having been through first year already, I don't know if I would spend money on cable tv until you know how much time you will have to watch, unless of course you have Tivo, and then you're good.

If your new apartment has washer and dryer hookup I would highly recommend getting a set. It doesn't have to be new, it just has to work. It saves a lot of time being able to do laundry in your own apartment and not have to check on it at the laundry facility or going off-site to do your laundry.

If you like to cook, invest in some tupperware so you can freeze food. When I have a free weekend with not as much studying as usual, I tend to cook a couple of meals, separate them into single portions, and freeze them. So after a late night, or when I don't have time to cook, I can just reheat.

:thumbup: let me suggest: http://www.starbucksstore.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=602884

-Hup!

Don't forget a large bottle of Maker's Mark, ice cubes for your freezer, and at least one medium to large-sized tumbler. Oh, and a little Coca Cola for your fridge too might take the kick off that bourbon if you can't sip it gentleman-style. Dental school is hard so I hear, so night-caps are #1 on my priority list. :idea:

thanks for all of the tips everyone... i have a keurig single cup coffee maker (uses k-cups). its awesome

I know what I need for the most part. Obviously, I need furniture, clothes, toiletries, and so on. I have lots of furniture and all of my stuff from college. To make myself more clear, is there anything that you bought or have that is useful or that makes life easier as a dental student? I don't know... anything that may be helpful that not many people think of or have.

47" LCD HD TV and a PS3