Starting early for verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glamqueen

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that this is the section a lot of people ignore and then end up struggling in, so I don't want to pretend that I'm just going to be a natural even though my undergrad is journalism. I already ordered the Examkrackers verbal book, and I was going to start working it hard now, even though I don't take the MCAT til next April.

I am still planning on waiting on Bio and Phys Sci. since I am finishing pre-reqs now, but is this a good strategy? Starting early on the verbal? I need to make at least a 35 -36 to go where I want, so I am trying to get ideas on what I can do early....

Members don't see this ad.

if I had another chance at life, I would start verbal freshman year...of high school

same here. but i just assumed that people would stop reading (or atleast put much less emphasis on literature) because of advances in modern technology. i mean, c'mon, who likes to read a huge boring textbook (for the sciences) when you could simply memorize, study, or practice from power point slides?

learn a powerpoint slide (equivalent to one page) in 1 minute.
read a single page from a textbook in one hour(assuming you fall asleep after the first line).

That's all you needed to say...freshman year of high school! That answers my question quite enough! I'm really hoping all those comparative literature classes I took for my minor will help out a bit, but I'm not going to count on it. I've heard the verbal section is hell itself....

Members don't see this ad :)
yea for the verbal, think of the most boring awful piece of literature you have EVER read, raise that to a few powers, coupled with the most convoluted round-about questions one could ask another human being....and you have what appears to be a gentle form of mcat verbal

yea for the verbal, think of the most boring awful piece of literature you have EVER read, raise that to a few powers, coupled with the most convoluted round-about questions one could ask another human being....and you have what appears to be a gentle form of mcat verbal

and that's assuming you have as much time as you want.

I don't think verbal is THAT bad. It definitely takes some getting used to but it is a skill that CAN be learned. Starting early is a good idea. If you think about it, verbal is 1/3 of your total score so you should spend AT LEAST 1/3 of your study time on it. Just reading doesn't do any good, you have to read critically...try to figure out the main idea of the passage for everything you read. Get your hands on some AAMC materials in addition to EK. Now get studying! :)