starting from a community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnio

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finished my first year at a cc, and will obviously transfer to a 4 year. Right now I have the opportunity to transfer and enroll this upcoming fall to some schools, not very competitive admittedly, such a Rutgers. Am I better off transferring next year and enrolling as a junior to better schools, even though I'll have more cc credits on my application? On my schedule now are already a lot of dental prereqs here at this cc so will this look bad to the dental adcoms? Or should I just move on and impress them with the grades in the upper division courses. I'm a Bio major btw so those classes are on track to be taken anyway. Or another possibility maybe is for me to take as little as I can at the cc, transfer, and spend an extra year at the better university, or I would might as well just do post-bacc if I don't get accepted my first cycle. So yeah I'm lost help, thanks.

TLDR: From cc should I transfer after one year to an average university or finish two whole years at cc and get into a more competitive university? And which looks better to dental adcoms, assuming grades are constant for both

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I finished my first year at a cc, and will obviously transfer to a 4 year. Right now I have the opportunity to transfer and enroll this upcoming fall to some schools, not very competitive admittedly, such a Rutgers. Am I better off transferring next year and enrolling as a junior to better schools, even though I'll have more cc credits on my application? On my schedule now are already a lot of dental prereqs here at this cc so will this look bad to the dental adcoms? Or should I just move on and impress them with the grades in the upper division courses. I'm a Bio major btw so those classes are on track to be taken anyway. Or another possibility maybe is for me to take as little as I can at the cc, transfer, and spend an extra year at the better university, or I would might as well just do post-bacc if I don't get accepted my first cycle. So yeah I'm lost help, thanks.

TLDR: From cc should I transfer after one year to an average university or finish two whole years at cc and get into a more competitive university? And which looks better to dental adcoms, assuming grades are constant for both

need to know what schools you are talking about? these threads are anonymous, unless you out yourself no one or adcoms will know you are asking for advice here

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools do not accept prerequisite credits taken at a community college so make sure the ones you’re applying to do. Otherwise, you’ll have to retake all of them at a 4-year university

Ok, so the issue isn’t really about prereqs, because I’ll be getting enough units to fulfill them with upper divisions anyway. What I’m asking about is whether 1yr of cc + 3yrs at a mid tier uni look better than 2yr cc + 2yr at a higher ranked uni. For example the mid tier would be schools like Rutgers, UConn, state schools etc. and the higher rank would be like UCLA, Notre Dame, or even NYU.

Ok, so the issue isn’t really about prereqs, because I’ll be getting enough units to fulfill them with upper divisions anyway. What I’m asking about is whether 1yr of cc + 3yrs at a mid tier uni look better than 2yr cc + 2yr at a higher ranked uni. For example the mid tier would be schools like Rutgers, UConn, state schools etc. and the higher rank would be like UCLA, Notre Dame, or even NYU.
I know a good amount of people who went to a "mid tier" university (maybe even low tier idk what the tiers are?) that are either going to be attending dental school this fall or already in dental school. I think it is more important that you pick a university that you could see yourself doing well at, like the feel of the school, and one that does not cost large amounts of money. If you transfer after one year you would not have to worry as much with the schools that do not accept cc pre reqs and such. You will also have a chance to become involved with organizations on the campus earlier and possibly take on a leadership role towards the end of the spring when most do their officer elections. I could also go on but I understand that if going to a top tier university means a lot to you then I feel it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Do whatever's cheapest and do well. Tufts, Bu, Rutgers are the ones with major issues with cc. There are a few others that don't want more than 60 hrs but unless you plan on going to the 3 mentioned it doesn't matter. As long as you do well and compete in dat it's all good. I took every pre req except biochem at a cc and got in to two schools. Many others have as well. I'd be more focused on making yourself unique against the applicant pool than worrying about what school.

Reactions: 1 user
Enrolling in a less competitive 4 year school will give you a huge gpa advantage. If you perform well on the dat it will look even better.

With regards to your coursework unless you apply to schools like BU Temple Pittsburgh, then your upper sciences will more than make up for those science courses.