Starting GI salary for private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GIDOC85

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any comment on starting GI salaries as general GI for private practice? Please don't quote those salary surveys. Please comment if you have had experience yourself or from people you know. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Somewhere between $$ and $$$$

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
GI income ??????

Take a hint man.

Salaries vary widely depending on practice environment, payment structure, how much you want to work, etc. Eat what you kill, split the pot, buy ins, bonus structure, RVU targets, area of the country, all make a difference in what you make. If you are a GIdoc like you say, why not send your resume around and apply for jobs? Certainly you get all the spam recruiter emails I get? If you are a first/second year fellow, talk to your third years and see what they are getting offered.

Are there any serious people here????????????????????????????

I assure you, they are very serious, and smart. Last thing they want is to post real $ figures on a public forum.

Just curious - What is wrong in posting a $ range? Are we not here to seek help and guidance? No one is asking for exact amounts. Just a ball park figure. I understand that the amout varies region to region etc

I too am trying to understand the private practice model in GI but it is not clear at all. Why is itso difficult to get answers on this forum reg $$$? No one.... I mean, o one in the GI forum gives straight answers. It's juat pages and pages of nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious - What is wrong in posting a $ range? Are we not here to seek help and guidance? No one is asking for exact amounts. Just a ball park figure. I understand that the amout varies region to region etc

I too am trying to understand the private practice model in GI but it is not clear at all. Why is itso difficult to get answers on this forum reg $$$? No one.... I mean, o one in the GI forum gives straight answers. It's juat pages and pages of nothing.

Because the honest answer is that the range will be +/- $500k, and how useful is that? Do you have a $500k buy-in? Split the pot? Eat what you kill? The market, practice set up, how busy you are, how often you round/call, etc, all make a huge difference in your salary. MGMA and survey data on salaries is widely available for median numbers.

Yes your ceiling can be high, but those guys are working very hard. No free lunch.

Can any comment on starting GI salaries as general GI for private practice? Please don't quote those salary surveys. Please comment if you have had experience yourself or from people you know. Thanks

Did you find out ? I too am looking for the same. As someone above suggested, "Try asking 3rd year fellows or recently graduated fellows". I "tried" that but one wants to discuss the numbers or ANYTHING about their offers.

Not sure how to go about finding this info to compare against what offers I am getting.

Did you find out ? I too am looking for the same. As someone above suggested, "Try asking 3rd year fellows or recently graduated fellows". I "tried" that but one wants to discuss the numbers or ANYTHING about their offers.

Not sure how to go about finding this info to compare against what offers I am getting.

your co-fellows won't even talk to you about it? cold

See my post above, there are too many variables to just spit out XYZ number

your co-fellows won't even vetalk to you about it? cold
See my post above, there are too many variables to just spit out XYZ number

Yes, my seniors won't discuss their offers. They only give generic info like vacation, cme, call schedule. They react as if I asked them for their banking password. All I was asking them was a ballpark/range. Base salary varies so much between private vs employed AND btw regions. I was looking for private practice base salary for TX (any metro city like DFW, Houston, SA, Austin).

Yes, my seniors won't discuss their offers. They only give generic info like vacation, cme, call schedule. They react as if I asked them for their banking password. All I was asking them was a ballpark/range. Base salary varies so much between private vs employed AND btw regions. I was looking for private practice base salary for TX (any metro city like DFW, Houston, SA, Austin).

To be fair some contracts say you can't talk about salary. Texas private practice is $$$$ though.

Thought I’d chip in - my cofellow moved to Philly area and average PP was $300K-350 with 1 in 5 call, sign up bonus 10K and 5 weeks off.
Got some info from talking to other recent grads and new attendings. PP in MA and $350K with 1 in 10 call (this is with bonuses) and for general GI - no ERCP coverage. One fellow in California was around $275k. General PP for NE is roughly 300-450 plus bonus plus RVU. Academics seems to be 225-275 plus RVU plus bonuses.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The first rule of salary club is you don't talk about salary club.

Reactions: 1 users
The first rule of salary club is you don't talk about salary club.
Lol, why not? If your actual identity is secret here, then why would you NOT want everyone to say what they're getting paid? Isn't this why we have MGMA in the first place?

When physicians' pay is opaque, who exactly benefits? It certainly isn't the physicians.

Reactions: 6 users
Thought I’d chip in - my cofellow moved to Philly area and average PP was $300K-350 with 1 in 5 call, sign up bonus 10K and 5 weeks off.
Got some info from talking to other recent grads and new attendings. PP in MA and $350K with 1 in 10 call (this is with bonuses) and for general GI - no ERCP coverage. One fellow in California was around $275k. General PP for NE is roughly 300-450 plus bonus plus RVU. Academics seems to be 225-275 plus RVU plus bonuses.
Hope this helps.
That’s a lot less than a I would’ve expected for private practice

MGMA 2017 (based on 2016 data) - median: 531k
AMGA 2017 (based on 2016 data) - median: 519k

This is total cash compensation (salary + bonus). Pays well to shove stuff up bum holes.

Lol, why not? If your actual identity is secret here, then why would you NOT want everyone to say what they're getting paid? Isn't this why we have MGMA in the first place?

When physicians' pay is opaque, who exactly benefits? It certainly isn't the physicians.

There's this bizarre thought that if physician salaries get posted on anonymous forums, the general public will think we are overpaid etc.

Complete asinine thinking to be honest.

Physicians in general are severely underpaid for the complex services we provide and the ridiculous liability we take on, especially if you do something procedural and $hit hits the fan. If a GI doc is pulling in $600,000, God bless them. They are working for every single penny.

Besides, like what been posted earlier, academic salaries at the UCs in the state of California for example are available for all to see. Same for Texas. There is no hiding anything. I'd rather young docs have this information when they go to the negotiating table rather than go in clueless against some employer who is generally looking to take advantage of you.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s a lot less than a I would’ve expected for private practice

This is just starting salary - terms would defer me thinks. Once you make junior partner (usually 2 years) and then senior the potential does go up to ~600K depending on what you negotiated, buy-in etc.

Where / how to start looking for a lucrative GI job, if location is not important?

Doesn't help that CMS is planning on cutting scope reimbursements like they have been doing for years now....

What is the most recent cut?
I don't believe there were big cuts in 2017. However, even an annual cut of 2-3% starts to eat into your overall income significantly over time. Your overhead doesn't change (often goes up with more regulations), but your revenue starts to erode away. This is the fundamental problem regarding all reimbursement changes in medicine.

I don't believe there were big cuts in 2017. However, even an annual cut of 2-3% starts to eat into your overall income significantly over time. Your overhead doesn't change (often goes up with more regulations), but your revenue starts to erode away. This is the fundamental problem regarding all reimbursement changes in medicine.
Do you have exact numbers? Thanks

Do you have exact numbers? Thanks
Just go to google and search medicare colonoscopy reimbursement 2017. They have the reimbursement rates for all the GI procedures.

Reactions: 1 user