Starting in July

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

george_joseph

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soon to be DO here starting EM in July. Just wondering what sorts of things we should try and be really up to speed on before we start. And procedures? (at least a thorough understanding if not actual experience…) Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone starting in July.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definately try to improve on your sleep abilities, alcohol tolerance, and glutton-ism.

Don't try to prepare for residency. You won't remember a thing you're reading. Plus, the whole point of residency is to bring you up to speed with everyone else, and to get you to learn what you need to.

Don't prepare.

Repeat.

Don't prepare.

Enjoy your time off, because it is few and far between from here on out.

Q

I would definately try to improve on your sleep abilities, alcohol tolerance, and glutton-ism.

Don't try to prepare for residency. You won't remember a thing you're reading. Plus, the whole point of residency is to bring you up to speed with everyone else, and to get you to learn what you need to.

Don't prepare.

Repeat.

Don't prepare.

Q

Again, in the interest of reinforcement...

I concur with Q.

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't prepare.

Repeat.

Don't prepare.

Q

couldn't agree more. :hardy:

I just got my ATLS manual so I can't slack off too much since the class is on June 13. Is the written test pretty hard for ATLS?

Don't prepare.

Repeat.

Don't prepare.

Q

good stuff. sounds like the same advice we give premeds before they start medical school. i swear, they all want to read Harrison's before classes start.

I just got my ATLS manual so I can't slack off too much since the class is on June 13. Is the written test pretty hard for ATLS?

WTF?!? Am I supposed to study for ATLS before it starts? I have it on June 21st and I was planning on rocking up to the class with nothing.

You should actually take the ATLS thing seriously. Other than that - what Quinn said. :hardy:

:luck: MJ

You should actually take the ATLS thing seriously. Other than that - what Quinn said. :hardy:

Do you recommend a ACLS review book or just reading the manual? PALS too?

Actually, I'm kinda excited about ATLS, cuase it is the first step to not being a stupid med student anymore. :laugh:

I didn't study for ACLS or PALS, and you really don't need to. ATLS though, I would read.