Starting Junior Year, what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osprey099

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this sub-forum is mostly for people who are applying soon but I really just need some input right now. I'm starting Junior year and right now, I only have a 3.58 GPA and a 3.63 sGPA. I just took the MCAT on 9/1 and I feel like I got anywhere from 30-32. I see that a lot of people here with 3.5-3.6 gpa and 30-32 mcats end up getting rejected b/c of mediocrity. I'm wondering what gpa do I need to push up to in order to put me at a realistic shot at an allopathic med school. My premed advisor told me that as long as I have a 3.6+ GPA and a 32+ MCAT, I will have a very good chance at an US allopathic med school but I am skeptical b/c people on here have shown otherwise. Here's a brief summary of my ECs:

- Shadowed for 150 hours spread throughout 1 year
- Volunteered for a hospital organization since beginning of Freshman year (About 5 hours a week)
- Worked at a NIH research lab summer of freshman year (I'm coauthored in 1 paper submitted to Hepatology)
- I have been involved with a volunteer group at a local elementary school since Freshman year (I am currently president of the club and I was treasurer last year)
- I go to a top 15 undergrad school

Members don't see this ad.

What is your state of residency?

Those stats should get you into medical schools, unless you only plan on applying to Cal schools or upper tier schools. It might not get you into every medical school you apply to, but it will get you in somewhere if you apply broadly.

What is your state of residency?

Those stats should get you into medical schools, unless you only plan on applying to Cal schools or upper tier schools. It might not get you into every medical school you apply to, but it will get you in somewhere if you apply broadly.

Hi. I am from Maryland. I'm just looking to apply to lower and mid tier schools. The most "upper-tier" school I will apply to will probably end up being University of Maryland SOM.