Starting MCAT prep a year before test. What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saleemrodman1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking the MCAT in September 2016 (approximately one year from now), and I don't know if it's too early or not. This is my study plan:

August 2015: Study six days per week for five hours per day (30 hours per week) CONTENT REVIEW
September 2015: Study six days per week for five hours per day (30 hours per week) CONTENT REVIEW
October/November 2015: Very minimal, because of school.
December 2015: Study six days per week for five hours per day (30 hours per week) CONTENT REVIEW
January/February/March 2016: Very minimal because of school.
April 2016: Begin practice passages and sections during Spring Break.
May 2016: Very minimal because of school
June 11 2016 till end of June 2016: Practice Tests for eight hours a day, six days a week (48 hours per week)
July 2016: Practice Tests for eight hours a day, six days a week (48 hours per week)
August 2016: Practice Tests for eight hours a day, six days a week (48 hours per week)
September 2016: MCAT

The reason why I want to do content review right now is because someone advised me that taking practice tests and doing horribly on them (like I am doing right now) is not going to be very useful to me without an extensive content review. What do you guys think about this study plan? I plan to use Kaplan study books to review content, TPR practice tests, AAMC practice tests, and EK practice tests.

Members don't see this ad.

I lost it at July.

Seriously, though, if that's what does it for you. SOMEHOW, though :eek: I think you're overdoing it a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that much time, I'd recommend doing content review from textbooks. I'm going into my second year, and I've decided to get biology down pat by reviewing most of Campbell's. While a lot of people might not agree with this tactic, I think it's essential for me to do this in order to make sure those MCAT review books are actually review for me. In the long run, I'm hoping that this will lead to a hell of a lot less stress. Then again, what do I know about this MCAT stuff...

WOW thanks a lot! This answers all my questions! :D

No problem dude!! But yeah, as the above poster stated, there is a chance you could burn out, so don't overdo it! Slow and steady, one chapter a week. Also your practice test plan makes no sense. The improvement in scores comes from a THOROUGH review of the practice test. I would take one a week and spend a day reviewing it and marking down my weak topics. Then for the rest of the week, spend a day per subject reviewing. Then practice test again.

No problem dude!! But yeah, as the above poster stated, there is a chance you could burn out, so don't overdo it! Slow and steady, one chapter a week. Also your practice test plan makes no sense. The improvement in scores comes from a THOROUGH review of the practice test. I would take one a week and spend a day reviewing it and marking down my weak topics. Then for the rest of the week, spend a day per subject reviewing. Then practice test again.

Yeah that makes more sense! I will take your advice. Thanks again!

June 11 2016 till end of June 2016: Practice Tests for eight hours a day, six days a week (48 hours per week)
July 2016: Practice Tests for eight hours a day, six days a week (48 hours per week)
August 2016: Practice Tests for eight hours a day, six days a week (48 hours per week)

Overkill.