Starting med school with a Type B/laid-back personality?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Brightside

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should do anesthesia. You seem like a super chill person and you'll make more money than peds. As long as you have good scores you'll match without needing to research

Reactions: 1 user
I am the same way. There are a decent number of people like this, though of course, you have to look for them to find them. It can be difficult at times when a lot of people around you are aiming for the most competitive programs in the most competitive fields and look down on others who don't have the same drive. You just gotta learn to focus on your own goals. Everyone has different ambitions and different paths that will bring them happiness. It's very validating to find like-minded people and be reminded that there is nothing actually wrong with you. Some of the smartest, most talented people I know are planning to do things like gen peds and family medicine.

The only thing I will say is that once you get to the clinical years, being proactive is very important and is something I had to really work on. I also am on the quiet side and had to actively work on speaking up and being more outgoing during rounds. These are adjustments you can make without actually changing who you are. Some of the best residents/fellows/attendings I've had have been kinda like me, so it's encouraging to see them kick ass clinically.

Overall, just focus on doing your best and eventually try to find a field, training program, and job where you can excel and feel comfortable. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I consider myself a relative type B despite pursuing a very competitive subspecialty. But relative doesnt say much given how annoying some of these med students are

Reactions: 3 users
Yo dude - I’m type B and things are pretty great. From my perspective, you can pretty much go into any field that you enjoy. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an incoming MD student this summer. My whole life I've had difficulty "standing out" and often go with the flow. This has meant I rarely find myself naturally rising to leadership positions or developing any remarkable ECs. I do very well with my classes/exams, put in the volunteer/research hours, and get along with everyone. But with both undergrad and med school applications, I was much less successful than expected by my applications on paper, likely by not selling myself well enough or appearing very interesting. Of course, I'm happy where I am, but I constantly have heard "I can't believe you didn't get in to x program or get y scholarship!"

I'm just wondering if anyone has a personality like this in med school and what it's like. I feel much less ambitious than many med students I've met and right now my #1 specialty would be general peds. I'll focus on getting good scores, but if I don't have to do things like research, I probably won't. If this type of attitude going in will be harmful or if I do end up pursuing more competitive specialties, does anyone have any recommended ECs or approaches to med school that helped them become more proactive/outgoing as a person?

Thank you!
Honestly, I wish there were more med students like you. I'm not saying I'm never chill, but I'm definitely more on the neurotic end of it, so I guess I'd put myself solidly in between Type A and B. The always Type A people (which is most med students) drive me insane. I actually like most of my class, but so many of these kids can't talk about anything else but what's going to be on the exam or what did the prof mean when she said X instead of Y blah, blah. By the same token, I'm sure I annoy the crap out of med students who are more chill than I am :)

I think you'll be fine with your laidback attitude and not wanting to do research. I want to go into primary care as well and I've been told by multiple people (advisers, former PDs, residents, attendings, etc.) that I don't need research if I'm happy with a primary care field. I've done a little bit of research before med school, but not a ton and the people in the know have told me not to worry about it so I won't (or at least I'll try not to). I can't speak to rotations, though, because I'm not quite there yet.

Definitely Type B, here. You’ll be fine. If anything you’ll enjoy school more than those putting immense amounts of pressure on themselves to be at the top of the class. I never had trouble getting by in class and judging by practice tests, boards won’t be a problem. I probably won’t be getting 250+/700+ but I won’t be quarantined to primary care if I don’t want to be there (even though I do want to do Family). There’s nothing wrong with being laid back. I was visiting with an attending in my area and they just want to be around chill/teachable people. It’s annoying if you know nothing, but just as annoying if you try to display you know it all. Again, you’ll be fine. Just do you, pass class, don’t be an a**hole, and you’re good to go

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm a Type B 1st year. I feel like we have an advantage because we got a hidden gear in us to use when needed. Maybe I'm just lazy though.

Reactions: 6 users
Current M1 that is definitely more Type B than most of my class. I have found that my personality (so far) meshes well with radiology, critical care, and anesthesia. I came in thinking surgery for sure, so that’s been a big surprise. I’d check those out if you get the chance!

Also agree with one of the above posters- I’ve had much better experiences with attendings while shadowing with other classmates that are type A. They can smell a kiss *ss a mile away, so just be you and respect the work being done around you (nurses, residents, other classmates, etc).

Biggest piece of advice is to find what works for you (flashcards, lectures, etc.) and freaking run with it. Too many people get lost in whatever everyone else is using instead of honing in on what works for them. Plenty of great resources to fit everyone’s needs. Good luck!

I've been told I'm the most type B person in our class. I never really stress about anything and keep to myself most of the time. I spend a lot of time with my dog and girlfriend and am pretty content. I honestly feel bad for the people who stress over everything and can never fully relax. Just keep doing you and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: 7 users