Starting med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted600623

So I don't start for another 3 weeks or so but is it normal to have crazy nerves heading into your first semester? I mean I've been working towards this for years now and now I'm starting to have major imposter syndrome, worried that I won't be able to handle it. Please tell me this is normal and if it isn't what do I need to do to change my mindset?

Members don't see this ad.

100% normal, and you'll likely deal with it throughout school.

You'll be able to handle it. I think the self-doubt you feel before you start is evidence of how important it is to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I don't start for another 3 weeks or so but is it normal to have crazy nerves heading into your first semester? I mean I've been working towards this for years now and now I'm starting to have major imposter syndrome, worried that I won't be able to handle it. Please tell me this is normal and if it isn't what do I need to do to change my mindset?
Very common on both counts.

Stay busy!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Have ever seen the movie Good Will Hunting? Those sort of people do exist. Some of them go to medical school. One or two may even be in your class. Don’t worry about competing with them.

What I am going to tell you is that anyone who gets into medical school on merit (not the my-mommy-is-tenured-faculty-so-I-get-a-pass types) has the ability to be at the top of their class. Maybe not THE #1, but top 10-25% surely.

It takes humility, self reflection, countless hours of work, and a nurturing of the passion for your day to day learning.

You got into medical school, your brain obviously works. You can train it to do what it needs to do for you to meet your goals.

The diversity of resources and learning techniques is endless. Something will work for you if you keep searching.

My best advice is to start out at 50 hours per week dedicated to learning the material in whatever way suits you. That means 50 hours with a STOPWATCH outside of class plus whatever mandatory time you accrue in the curriculum.

See where that gets you. Odds are it will be pretty far. I’m guessing a SOLID 50 hours could get most people a high B or an A. That is a solid 50 hours where you aren't counting time spent on other tasks.

I’d go so far to say that I guarantee this will work provided you are flexible with study strategies initially.

In general, you are capable of far more than you envision yourself being able to do.

Nerves are normal. They will pass.

TL;DR —> Be meticulous in preparation, confident in execution, and HUMBLE in victory.

Reactions: 1 users
You'll be fine. Medical school is about hard work more than anything...which you have complete control over. Keep to a schedule, ask your upper classmates for advice and have a decent friend circle. You could go through it alone, but it's always better to be surrounded by at least a few friends that can relate to what you are going through.