Starting Medical School easy for some a rough start for others?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Diane L. Evans

:confused:

I thought this would be a good topic to help our future MS1's who will be starting in Aug/Sept 2003 congratulations all!!!

MS1's you have now almost finished your first year of medical school. Do you have any advice for the new classes?

Graduating MS4's looking back at a collective experience transition from classroom to clinic what advice can you give the new MS2/MS3's?

Hopefully we will get a lot of good input

Members don't see this ad.

For incoming MS1's:
get review books early in the year. Why? If you use it along with your class notes early not only will you understand WHAT the BIG PICTURE IS but you will do very well on boards for you will already be familiar with the material asked. The review books really do not change much except for FIRST AID FOR THE USMLE STEP1 (this has a clinical vingette series of 9 books which complements First aid making it a complete reference) which in my opinion was the best texts along with Step-Up for step 1 boards.

Good places to look for used textbooks can be on student doctor in the sales/adver. section, clicking on Amazon.com from student doctor (they sell used books here too), or checking out your posted boards at school or asking the school librarian if for sale lists are available (our school offered them in June of every year to incoming classes).
===========================================
For MS2/MS3/MS4's: the classwork gets easier in the second year but now is the time to pay attention to boards. For those who used their MS1 summers off to review they did quite well. The clinical years are rough at first. Sometimes confusing. How can you get help deciding what to buy for clerkships? Look at the student doctor specialty sections and ask.

FIRST AID makes a good review of the core subjects such as OB/ER/IM etc.. For IM and FP the best book in my opinion was Mosby's Ferri Guide (Guide to the medical patient) or the Washington Manual. For Peds the Harriet Lane book. For Ob/Gyn the On call series was a good text as well as Mosby's handbook.

Before you know it ERAS/ AOA residency applications will be due this opens in July of each year. So MS3's start asking for letters of recommendation early give each doc 2 stamped addressed envelopes one to yourself one to the registrars office at your school. Make sure to give them a copy of your CV and include any papers/projects you have been working on. Also a one page letter thanking them in advance for writing you a strong letter and letting them know what specialty you are pursuing is a good idea.

For people applying to allopathic residencies, now also is the time to access FRIEDA through the AMA website and check out schools you may be interested in applying to request catalogs (asking for the last years is OK) and making contacts. How many schools to apply to? most chose 20-25.. If you are choosing Sx/ENT/Ortho/Rad/Anes. 40+.

Next and most important your personal statement get this done MS3's in April-July! (you can have more than 1 if you want to apply to more than 1 specialty) proof it and get your advisor at school, your dean, as many docs as you know to read it and give your 2cents. If you prepare in advance you can get your ERAS application out in July/August (everyone I knew who did this had to turn down interviews because they received so many 20+!!!

Good luck with the process!
Diane

Wow, thanks Diane!! What a great post! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend sent this to me. She is a chief ER resident at Pittsburg. I thought I would share her wisdom...

[the biggest thing for med school is remember, even if you studied 24/7, you'd still never know it all.

do you know how the grading system works there? if they have an honors, pass, fail system, you'll want to try for honors in a handful of core subjects. again, if you try for honors in all you'll drive yourself (and others aroud you!) crazy. Important classes for honors (and for the core of medicine) are A&P, micro, immunology. biochem and epidemiology are good ones to understand well. make sure you get a good embryology book (moore's the developing human was the one i used) - really, everything is explained by embryology. it'll help you understand a lot of the physiology and anatomy later on. we had it integrated in our anatomy class. not sure how it is there. pathophysiology is another good class, but esoteric a lot of time. first year are the basic core sciences. usually you;ll get into systems the second year.

read every day. work out often. play weekly. make sure you take care of yourself and get some sleep. go to study groups and extra anatomy labs. befriend your classmates as you spend an extrodinarily large amout of time with them. take as many clinical opportunities as early as you can. we started interviewing patients about the 2nd week of classes. keep up to date on the rest of the world, remember, it keeps turning when you are in class. if you can, browse the new england journal and jama (or the lancet, annals of internal med, surgery or emergency medicine) to see what is new out there. plus, if you get in the habit now of at least reading the abstracts to a couple major journals a month, it will train you to continue in what ever field you are in. Medicine these days is very evidence based. you;ll hear that term a lot. unfortunately, you'll learn that a lot of what we do is not evidence based but so ingrained in the field that there is no way that a IRB (internal review board that approves research) would approve it. just keep that in mind when people say 'it's the standard of care'. it's interesting to see if there is evidence or just time to back that up.

you'll do great and love it. a suggestion to think of now that i wish i had continued is keep reading daily. i read a ton first and second year and most all of third year. it slowed down 4th year and i do very little reading now (actually i'm back to reading a lot more now that i am almost done and will be out on my own. i just wish i'd been reading this well throughout!) know that there are times when you just won' t have time to read (ie": surgery rotation), but you'll find at least a little time to catch a pearl here or there.

some great study books: (i'll just give you the first year list now, i'll send you more for 2nd and 3rd / 4th later)

Anatomy: Netter "atlas of human anatomy ' is by far the best atlas. pansky reivue of gross anatomy is a pretty good adjunct that has things written out as well as pictures. the anatomy coloring book is good too. especially for you as you are very visual and interactive.

Neuroanatomy: clinical neruoanatomy made ridiculously simple is great. it's little and easy to read . the "made ridic. simple" (mrs) series is for the most part, fantastic.

Micro/immuno: clinical microbiology MRS is fantastic. i still use references and nmemonics from there today. levinson/jawetz examination and board review: medical microbiolgy and immunology is a great book. more info but good

Pathology: the board review series (used to be red checked cover, 1st edition). schneider and szanto authors.

Physiology: board review series, (blue checked 1st edition) by costanzo also great. these books are set up in outline form and have a lot of good pointers and learning styles to do well on the boards . tehy have board questions and review exams as well.

the other series that you'll use in your clinical time is the recall series. surgical recall is a must and advanced surgical recall is good too. they have icu and medicine recall and a ton of others. if you do preceptorships in your first year or 2, get at least surgical if not medical recall to learn valuable clinical pearls.

this is the time to learn as much minutia as possible. remember to try to see the big picture as well. there will be much that you learn that they will say 'you'll probably never see this', but you will, eventually and if you acutally read about it now, it'll be stored in your brain to (hopefully) retreive at a later date. i remember when i was working at st. joe's and brad pulled some obscure diagnosis out his ass on this patient and he said - yeah, it was some little thing i remembered from med school. ]

Any MS1's have advice for making the transition from college to med school?

Two things I learned the most this first year is:

1. Nothing is more important than time management. I learned early on that wasting time will kill you. Certain things you did in undergrad may not work in med school. For example, I used to outline the textbook reading material for each exam then study it. That ended halfway to my first anatomy exam. There's simply too much material, and no where near enough time. You'll probably get in to a certain habit of studying after your first exam as you fine tune what works for you. Just don't waste a bunch of time taking frivilous notes because.....

2. Time creeps up on you at this level. There were times where I would have a week until the next exam. In undergrad that meant chill out until 3 days before. The same can happen here, except that I can't tell you how often the night before a test I was kicking myself for not using the whole week to study. It has hurt me a few times. You'll get to know which classes you better start studying for early, and which you can blow off until the night before.

Anyway, those were my observations, which may or may not apply to some people.

Good luck to the class of 2007!

My advice as someone who is graduating in a few weeks is this-- stop worrying about how hard or easy it is for other people and get yourself squared away. Take the time you need to learn and not worry about what your buddy is doing. MEdical school is not undergrad and the the people ther are more competitive, but you are in a new world. you need to take of not only school, but also your health. I recommend a work out program and a hardcore diet along with school work to keep you really sharp. Take care of yourself all the time and when it comes time to help patients you will be able to help them better because you will be at ease.

If you are entering medical school this fall- my advice right now is this- RELAX. You take care of yourself when you get there- right now just hang in ther and have some fun.