Starting my first year in the fall-- Any suggestions for some head-start reading?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by jayjay, Jun 12, 2002.

1. jayjay

jayjay Member

Hello all,
    I'm going to have quite a bit of time to read this summer while I travel, so I figure might as well get a preview of what i'll be up against come September. Any suggestions on one or two textbooks that I should start looking over? anatomy? biochem?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Big_Poppa DDS

Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member

NO!!!!

Remember, if you are admitted to dental school that means you probably have a good chance at graduating. I would try to relax before school starts and once school starts balance studying and socializing. Those in my class with good friends all made it through, those who alienated themselves had a more difficult time. Just remember nobody likes a gunner, I'm not saying that its bad to study hard but just don't make it your life.

4. jayjay

jayjay Member

Hey Big Poppa,
    Thanks for the good advice. I definitely plan on having a balanced life during school but I've been out of college for a few years now so its been a while since i've cracked open a science text. Thought it'd be a good idea to get that part of my brain working again :) Any suggestions?

5. AzianCwRU

AzianCwRU Junior Member

My advice to you is to NOT stress over this subject matter. You'll be stressed out enough throughout your 4 years of dental school, so don't sweat it. Enjoy yourself buddy while you still can! :D

6. gryffindor

Dentist

Dentist
    Looking back, it would have done me no good to study biochem or anatomy prior to starting. For example, reading the recommended histology text for our school would have been very useless since the exam questions all came from a huge stack of pre-printed notes they handed out once school began. Same scenario for biochem, anatomy, physio, neuroanatomy, and basically all the courses (there have been so many, I've forgotten what I took).

The only class I possibly could have used some prior knowledge in was (maybe) dental anatomy. It took me some time to figure out what a transverse ridge is as opposed to a marginal ridge. I really didn't get the hang of the key distinguishing features of different teeth till second year to confidently distinguish them on the tooth-id practicals. Being familiar with words like mesial, distal, coronal, apical, interproximal might have made the first semester dental anatomy a bit easier. However, now those words are part of my daily vocab (scary!) so don't stress out too much. As for which text? I don't know - we were supposed to read from Woelfel & Schied but I only ever looked at the pictures in that book. I pretty much went by the handouts and class notes for the material I needed to know in that class. Chapter 3 - Terminology - looks like a good place to start (I'd skip over the intro head & neck anatomy/tooth histo stuff). I'm talking about the 4th edition, I've seen a 5th edition in the bookstore now.

7. Pi_Guy1

Pi_Guy1 Member

I'll be starting my first year this fall too. I have tons of time on my hands so I figured I'd do some reading. I recommend picking up a copy of this month's Maxim.

8. dr_lecter

dr_lecter Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jayjay:
    <strong>Hello all,
    I'm going to have quite a bit of time to read this summer while I travel, so I figure might as well get a preview of what i'll be up against come September. Any suggestions on one or two textbooks that I should start looking over? anatomy? biochem?

Thanks in advance for any help!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You should read - *who moved my cheese* by Dr.Spencer Johnson before you start dental school this fall. Its a very small book..... hardly 40 pages or something.

9. Doggie

Doggie Professional Jackass

I would suggest getting familiar with the human skull......all the foramen, sutures, bones, etc...also note where the main masculatory muscles attach and how the trigeminal nerve (aka: nerve of dentistry) runs in the skull. This knowledge would have been a lot easier on my studyings this past year.

In some of my classes (oral histology, anatomy, dental anatomy) we had to know everything about the human skull.......brutal huh? :mad:

10. jayjay

jayjay Member

haha...okay i'm convinced...no studying this summer. ( i didn't feel like it anyway :)