Starting Neuro after break - any advice on texts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are starting neuro in a week (2nd year) with anatomy all over again:( I am trying to get some textbooks and am wondering what people recommend in terms of an easy to understand text and also an atlas.

Also, any advice on how to study differently than in the other blocks? We will be having a lot more class and have to go back to lab again. I'm feeling like neuro will be a different type of block that requires different study habits. Being a person that takes like 2 months to adjust to new things, I'd really appreciate the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Text -- Fundamental Neuroscience for Basic and Clinical Applications, 3rd edition, by Duane E. Haines

Atlas -- The Brain Atlas: A Visual Guide to the Human Nervous System, 3rd edition, by Thomas Woolsey, Joseph Hanaway, and Mokhtar Gado.

I drew a lot of the pathways over and over again. Even simple pathways (eye reflexes) I would draw repeatedly. It really helped because they became almost second nature.

Members don't see this ad :)
i really like blumenfelds.

i thought neuro was a lot of fun. and unlike any other class so not repetitive really at all (except maybe overlap with head and neck anatomy). the books suggested for our course are with the exception of big robbins my favorite books i've used in all med school and i highly recommend them. the book's an easy read through with lots of diagrams and the atlas has lots of pics
the human brain by nolte and angevine
the human brain: in diagrams and pictures (or something like that) by nolte

the first is the text and the 2nd is the atlas. good luck. enjoy!

Text -- Fundamental Neuroscience for Basic and Clinical Applications, 3rd edition, by Duane E. Haines

don't even try to read this book unless you want to get a PhD in neuro...it's very thorough, but unnecessary for a med student at times...get your hands on a blumenfield book. it's AWESOME. believe me, i have had waaay more exposure to neuro than i could care to have in my entire lifetime...

the haines atlas, however, is good. i would second the advice of drawing out pathways. draw them over and over and over again. it's also helpful to get drawings of cross sections and label what happens if a certain something happens...like if you had a hemisection of the spinal cord at T1, or ___ artery happens to get a lesion, etc.

basically, learn how to think in 3-D...and draw draw draw!