Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Starting on the Road to the MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by jedi z, Jul 27, 2006.

1. jedi z

jedi z New Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone. I'm new to this site, but I have been looking for a place to ask all of my MCAT questions. I've followed a few of the threads and they all seem to be amazingly useful to both students about to take the MCAT as well as those, like me, who just started college but aspire to do well on the test. As such, many people have told me that I should take a MCAT course, and as I have read the threads in this forum, it seems as if there are three major MCAT prep classes: Princeton Review, Kaplan, and Exam Krackers. Though any one would seem helpful to me, I would really like your opinion about this.
    1. Did you take an MCAT prep class?
    2. Which company would you prefer (if different from the one you took) and why?
    3. Which company offers the best study materials for the individual subjects?
    4. Have you taken the MCAT yet? If you have, what was your score?
    5. Overall, how was your experience with the class, and did you think it was helpful?

I appreciate any advice you would care to share. thanks again for your time!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. geno2568

geno2568 Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    1)no class
    2)from what i hear, kaplan is too easy, princeton is too hard, and ek is just right
    3)EK books by far the best
    4) 12V 14PS 13BS O

i studied all of winter break, and then early march until test time (april 22)

if u can pace and discipline yourself, you dont need a class
    just get ALL the EK books, and the AAMC practice tests

4. jedi z

jedi z New Member

Pre-Medical
    GENO2568, about how much did you spend on MCAT prep (with the books and the practice tests); and do you remember how many practice MCAT's you took? (I'm just trying to get a feel for the general process of preparing for the MCAT.) Also, how did you prepare for the verbal section? Did you only use the EK books when you studied?

5. geno2568

geno2568 Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    i bought the big kaplan book..though in retrospect i would have been better off with the EK books

i also bought the EK 1001 books (everything except for physics...but thats cuz physics is my thing)

i bought i book of kaplan practice tests..it was kinda crappy
    i also bought the kaplan 45 book...complete waste
    so basically, in the winter, i started with the bog kaplan book....went through that in about a week
    then took a practice test from kaplan...got a 33...but those are pretty innacurate
    then wen through the book again, and the kaplan 45 book...took another practice test...34

i then got the 1001 books
    started with gen chem, then moved to orgo

then winter break ended

took a 1 month hiatus to rush through physics 102 and study for a biochem midterm

came back to mcats early march
    did the bio 1001 and the verbal 101 in the next 2 weeks
    then spring break came
    went back to the orgo, gen chem, and bio 1001 books and went over stuff i still didnt understand.
    I kept my textbook handy to look up everything that was hazy.

After spring break, i started taking practice test (from aamc) every weekend. I did the 3r, 4r, 5, 6 tests.
    got 37,35,36,35, respectively

in the last week, i took one of the practice kaplan tests...and got exactly the breakdown i got in the actual mcat (12v, 14p, 13b)

money wise, i probly spent about 200 on books, and another 80 on the aamc tests

6. smuwillobrien

smuwillobrien Senior Member

Attending Physician
    If you're just starting college and thinking about the MCAT, you're probably thinking too far ahead. Take it a year at a time and start worrying about it when you have to. ;\ Good luck though with premedicine.

7. gdk

gdk Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i would say study hard in your regular classes (physics, chem, etc)... then mcat prep will come easy b/c you'll still remember a lot of the stuff from undergrad. getting that stuff ingrained is much more important than worrying about mcat classes now. then, when you're ready to start studying for the mcat, take a practice test from e-mcat or aamc or whatever. if you score near 30, you don't need an mcat class... but i've never taken one so take that for what it's worth