Starting organic chem soon, tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm a post bacc. I just slaughtered by gen chem with an A and im excited to start organic chemistry in the fall.

Any tips/advice/warnings as to what to expect?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Be prepared for drawing lots of arrows, lone pairs, and charges when demonstrating reactions and mechanisms. ~All the right moves in all the right places~

Reactions: 4 users
Patterns patterns patterns.

Organic chemistry reactions all follow patterns. Knowing how certain molecules will react will be infinitely more helpful than memorizing every single reaction you encounter.

Members don't see this ad :)
-Learn how to draw nice bond-line.
-Know how to use google and wikipedia to help you study.
-Dont miss lecture
-Keep in mind that every Ochem professor teaches differently.

Reactions: 1 user
Get a whiteboard and some markers.

Get really good at drawing a hexagon.

Reactions: 14 users
After you complete the task of drawing a good hexagon, practice drawing chair structure of said hexagon.

Actually, just wait until it shows up to begin practicing it. There really isn't any "prep" to be done. Just know your stuff once it's presented to you. Dry erase board is an excellent idea, too.

Do as many practice problems as you can. I did nearly every single problem in the book and came out with an A both semesters.

1429583341898.jpg

Practice problem -- do them several times, and draw out mechanisms millions of time. Guaranteed A.

There are tons of good mechanism tutorials on Youtube. I would recommend utilizing them.

Ochem is a subject whose concepts really build on each other. Keep up with the material early on, don't wait last minute to study, and you should do well

Not as hard as it's hyped up to be. You'll get through it with some effort. You might not get every weekend to yourself, but such is life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your experience will depend entirely on your professor.

None of our tests were even remotely like the problems in our book (our tests were so much harder) so I used MIT/Harvard practice tests to hone my skills.

Patterns patterns patterns.

Organic chemistry reactions all follow patterns. Knowing how certain molecules will react will be infinitely more helpful than memorizing every single reaction you encounter.

Ochem is a subject whose concepts really build on each other. Keep up with the material early on, don't wait last minute to study, and you should do well

Could not agree more with these two posts. Focus on actually learning and understanding why things are happening, rather than just memorizing specific reactions. That way, if faced with something you haven't seen before, you'll be able to apply what you know and reason your way through it. Couple that with staying on top of your work and not procrastinating and you should be able to do well. As some have said, orgo isn't as hard as a lot of people make it out to be. Some even find it fun ;)

Become a slave of organic chemistry. Draw every reaction mechanism multiple times, especially the biochem ones. Do every bit of practice material you are provided with and find some of your own as well. You need to do a bit of practice every day, whether it's reviewing notes, drawing mechanisms or doing practice problems. Keep up with the material and learn the patters followed by certain atoms/elements, molecules and reagents.

Hey folks,

I'm a post bacc. I just slaughtered by gen chem with an A and im excited to start organic chemistry in the fall.

Any tips/advice/warnings as to what to expect?

1. If you slaughtered gen chem, you will slaughter ochem, since ochem builds upon the concepts of gen chem (acidity/basicity trends, nucleophilicity trends, inductive/resonance effects etc.).

2. Get a good textbook. My #1 suggestion is using Wade's Organic Chemistry, the textbook that was fortunately required in my ochem sequence. Use this book well. Detail all the highlighted sections and make sure you get them down. Also, be sure to do a lot of practice problems.

3. Textbooks outside of Wade are OK and doable, but if you are uncomfortable, you are welcome to use Organic Chemistry as a Second Language.

4. Note that the entire organic chemistry is broken down into two broad categories:

a) The nature of organic molecules (i.e. trends, inductive/resonance effects, steric hindrance, aromaticity etc.)

b) The nature of organic reactions

5. Make sure you master 4a) solidly first, since it will help you tackle 4b) quite decisively.

Organic reactions can be broken down into 4 broad subdivisions.

1. Additions/eliminations
2. Substitutions
3. Oxidation-reduction reactions
4. Cyclic reactions (like Diels-Alder etc.)

6. Reaction mechnisms are basically arrow-pushing. Alarming at first, but is very straightforward once you get the hang of it.

Once you categorize everything in organic chemistry into simpler groups to be broken down, you should do well in the course. And it will help you out immensely for the MCAT and biochemistry.

Thanks for the detailed input. Yeah part of the reason why I did so well in gen chem was because I forced myself to do the practice problems over and over until I was sick of it, and then some more until I could do it blindfolded. You know you study too much when even in your dreams you're studying and solving practice problems LOL

Thanks for the detailed input. Yeah part of the reason why I did so well in gen chem was because I forced myself to do the practice problems over and over until I was sick of it, and then some more until I could do it blindfolded. You know you study too much when even in your dreams you're studying and solving practice problems LOL

Lol, me and some friends who just got done with Ochem were talking about this. We've started seeing reaction sequences in our dreams.

1. If you slaughtered gen chem, you will slaughter ochem, since ochem builds upon the concepts of gen chem (acidity/basicity trends, nucleophilicity trends, inductive/resonance effects etc.).

I don't totally agree. Ochem builds on gen chem concepts, yes, but the form of question asked is very different. Someone could be very good at memorizing and applying equations, but have difficulty with spatial reasoning, which would make ochem a lot harder.

I don't totally agree. Ochem builds on gen chem concepts, yes, but the form of question asked is very different. Someone could be very good at memorizing and applying equations, but have difficulty with spatial reasoning, which would make ochem a lot harder.

That's a bad approach to getting a favorable result. Memorizing/applying formulas don't apply to analyzing chemical trends, chemical reactivity, redox potentials etc. all of which are critical gen chem concepts. Unless the gen chem i took was ridiculously difficult, but the message is clear.

That's a bad approach to getting a favorable result. Memorizing/applying formulas don't apply to analyzing chemical trends, chemical reactivity, redox potentials etc. all of which are critical gen chem concepts. Unless the gen chem i took was ridiculously difficult, but the message is clear.
It's been a long time since I took gen chem, but I remember it being at least half formulas. The rest isn't strictly memorizing, no, but I still think organic chem requires a rather unique way of thinking that you don't come across in a lot of other classes.

Already lots of solid advice on here

But also check out aceorganicchem.com

Lots of practice exams and other stuff. Helped me tremendously

Make sure you remember Lewis dot structures, resonance, and acid/base theory (Lewis and Bronsted) from your gen chem class. These topics come up a lot in O-Chem, especially first semester.

As everyone else said, do lots of practice problems and you should be fine.

I get what you're trying to say but saying that it takes more than just memorization to succeed in chem. However, memorizing is at least in my opinion fundamental to studying chemistry, because it can be very quantitative. With proper study habits, you can't help but memorize equations. However, the only way that you can effectively memorize concepts in chemistry is if you understand what is going on. Then the material you memorize retains itself better because you know WHY you memorized it in the first place. It just makes sense to use in the given situation.

Thing is I'm going to be taking O chem with cell bio and anatomy physiology in the same semester. I better brace myself for impact.

Organic was easy... 101 on my last exam that I took.

Never bought the book. Didn't see a need for it, but this won't be the case for everyone. Luckily, it just comes to me naturally. Practice the problems over and over, do the mechanisms until you can draw them with your eyes closed, and overall, make an effort to know the concepts behind it.

You'll have to study a bit more than gen chem, but o-chem is more fun in my opinion! It's a good sign you got an A in gen chem. Keep up the good work!

In my case, I never cracked open the textbook...my professor had taught ochem since the dawn of time, and she'd just give us her notes, handouts, and examples she'd been using for years. So like some people have said before, it depends on the professor. Practice problems from outside sources certainly don't hurt.

Thanks you guys are making me more optimistic about it. I gotta say I was scared because one of my friends who's in med school told me he got a c in o chem, because "it's so gay"

Needless to say, he failed out of caribbean med school...

Reactions: 3 users
As with any challenging science course, doing practice problems ad nauseam is key, especially with orgo wherein test questions are very unpredictable. And by practice problems, I don't mean just doing the homework, I mean doing extra homework and extra problems.

Also, if you have to memorize some mechanisms, that's ok, but try to fully understand as many as you can.

Yeh, just memorize everything so you can fail!

1) use flashcards for functional groups - you will need to "see" the groups on the fly: amine, imine, ether, ester, alcohol, aldehyde, ketone, phenyl, etc
2) use flashcards to memorize ALL reactants given to you (HBR, HCL, NaOH, LiOH, ...)
3) use flashcards to put 3^0 alcohol, 2^0 alcohol, 1^0 alcohol and what can "hit" those molecules and WHY (SN1, Sn2, E1, E2); this also goes for every other type of reaction but generally, you start with alcohols and what can pluck off that H way out on the end and via which mechanism using what reactant
4) use flashcards to breakout the differences between: SN1, Sn2, E1, E2
5) DRAW ... seriously. Get an 8" x 12" artists book and draw the reactions - no matter how easy they are ... draw until you :yuck:
6) DRAW all mechanisms that you have to learn until you :yuck:
7) When you get to synthesis, come back and thank me :soexcited:

I bought the modeling sticks and balls (the good set that cost like $35) and used it when trying to see WHY a reaction could not occur (big bulky reactant, for instance).

I got an A using the above. My compadres who just memorized old tests got a "C" on the final and a B in the class because they had failed to understand why what dances with what and whom hates who...

Orgo, to me, was a big puzzle: where do the electrons go? (draw) WHY do the electrons go that way (DRAW). I loved it - I also loved gen chem, and love physics now (last pre-req).

Get a grasp for how your professor teaches and tests. Talk to those who have taken his class in the past. Try and get old exams. Try and see if there are review sessions held by his TA's, either people in his lab or people who have taken his class in the past, to go over the material and get a better idea for what he thinks is relevant.

Organic chemistry varies incredibly by how your teacher teaches. Some prefer coming up with creative ways to test theory and mechanisms and really get at your understanding of the material. Some teachers love focusing on fill in the blank reagents and tricky synthesis problems. Some are all about memorizing tons and tons of reactions and their little subtleties and vomiting them back on the exam. Some emphasize kinds of topics others barely focus on. To name a few examples some will get into fine details on stereochemistry while others will just give a cursory review of R and S and move on, some professors will spend weeks on the complexities of HOMO and p orbitals, some will focus on teaching NMR/IR(other professors just leave that stuff for the lab class), and when it comes to ochem-2 some will spend weeks on biochemistry material while others will completely ignore it. If you can get an idea of where on the scale your teacher falls in terms of what they try to emphasize and how they teach and test, it'll help immensely.

You can skip lecture if you feel comfortable in retaining the information without instruction. I did it plenty and did excellent in both semesters.

Buy an over sized chemistry model kit. It'll help you visualize bonds better especially when you start doing chair flips.
They also double as great mantlepieces and paperweights.

Patterns, memorization, PAY ATTENTION IN LECTURE

I have taken and succeeded in ochem 1&2 and tutored ochem 2. Often professors allude to their "favorite" rxns (mine was partial to diels-alder).

Also exam problems will mirror class and practice problems. Don't fall behind on practice problems. Do them so many times you can do them in your sleep.

Patterns, memorization, PAY ATTENTION IN LECTURE

I have taken and succeeded in ochem 1&2 and tutored ochem 2. Often professors allude to their "favorite" rxns (mine was partial to diels-alder).

Also exam problems will mirror class and practice problems. Don't fall behind on practice problems. Do them so many times you can do them in your sleep.
Oh dear god. I'd almost forgotten about those. My ochem professor, who I'm convinced hated us all, would give us these crazy 3D double/triple diels alder reactions.

two acetylide anions to epoxide in exactly 10 steps, nothing repeated ... any one step in the synthesis that was wrong = an F on that part of the exam :)

Rule No.1 of Organic Chemistry: Carbon is a *****. Source: 2 years of being an orgo TA.

Orgo gets easier over time. Now if you want a real challenge take a Fundamental Algorithms class.

Our professor gave us a few cardinal rules of Ochem that might help:
1. Thou shalt not make more than 4 bonds to carbon.
2. Thou shalt not form a primary carbocation unless said cation participates in resonance.
3. Thou shalt not have H+ ions in basic solution.
4. Thou shalt not have OH- ions in acidic solution.
5. If your arrows look like tumbleweed, I fail you.

As some posters above have mentioned Wade's Organic Book is beast at explaining Organic Chemistry.

Try to UNDERSTAND the chemistry rather than memorize it. This will make even reaction mechanisms that you have not seen make sense.

But i'm not gonna lie, there is a good amount of hardcore memorization you just have to do.

The biggest tip that worked for me was somewhat specific to my textbook, but it is probably generalizable:

Do all the practice problems, not just the ones at the end of the chapters, but all the in-chapter problems. There is so much variety between different reactants and solvents etc etc, that the difference between getting a 94% on the final, or getting a 88%, is knowing those very specific details. You can't even begin to try to learn the small details in a rule based intuitive process (which is the way you can learn the majority of Ochem). I can't remember any of them anymore, but it could be the difference between, for example, an addition reaction going to a secondary carbon instead of a primary in a very specific solvent, when it would normally go primary.

Resonance and electron-pushing are at the heart of organic chemistry. Master it.

Practice problem - lots of them