Starting Pain Job 3 Years After Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATrim7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I completed a pain fellowship 3 years ago, but could not find a good pain job in the geographic location where I was committed to live for family reasons. I took a really great anesthesia job and have been relatively happy - - although doing a pain fellowship and never doing pain still bothers me a bit.

A private practice pain doc in my area recently asked that I consider working part time in his practice. He is well respected, and it would be a great gig, if I could eventually make it a full time job. I have reservations about doing anything part time, and how my compensation might be affected. These are separate issues which I need to address.

That all said, have any of you had a similar experience either stepping away from pain for a long period of time, or not going into practice directly out of fellowship? What was it like doing procedures, trials and permanent implants after having not done them in years? I’m a little weary about having to refresh/relearn the procedures and fluoro imaging after doing anesthesia solely for the past 3 years.

Hopefully one of you can share a similar experience. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have bounced back and forth. Honestly going back to anesthesia was harder than going back to pain. Your skills will be rusty but you will get them back quickly. Just spend a little time reviewing the harder stuff. You’ll be fine.

Reactions: 2 users