Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

starting pharmacy school this year need advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by ap97531, Apr 30, 2004.

1. ap97531

ap97531 Junior Member

I will be starting pharmacy school this fall and was wondering what i need to review before starting...o-chem? gen-chem? anatomy?? which one should i concentrate most my time studying(reviewing) this summer?

thanks
    ap

2. jdpharmd?

jdpharmd? Turning lead into gold
    7+ Year Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I agree with the general theme of that thread. Your last summer off before pharmacy school is alot like that last summer you ever had off as a kid before getting a job.

However, please learn from my mistakes.... I did not review my O-Chem much before a placement test and ended up having to take the most irrelevant course ever.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ivorymist

Ivorymist Don't take MAOIs with...
    7+ Year Member

Like the others I say just relax. I just got done with year 3 and I don't regret for a second that I relaxed during all those summers!

5. Caverject

15+ Year Member

6. ultracet

ultracet 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Reviewing ochem is definitely important. it was more important for our med chem classes in the 2nd year but it would have helped in biochem the first semester too. our professors strongly recommend a book to review your functional groups (those are very important to you later on).

Review of Organic Functional Groups: Introduction to Medicinal Organic Chemistry

by Thomas L. Lemke

I have it and read it and it was very very helpful
    I don't think they are going to do another reprint of it (an ugly rumor i heard) and it may be hard to find since the last edition (3rd) was reprinted in 99.

If anyone would like it and can't find it just let me know as our bookstore stocks them.

7. biophiliac1

biophiliac1 Member
    10+ Year Member

mentioning helpful review books/study guides...do any of you already in pharm. school have any suggestions? just out of curiosity... :p

8. jdpharmd?

jdpharmd? Turning lead into gold
    7+ Year Member

4th edition, at amazon.com (October, 2003) We have them at our bookstore too, but I think they are about 40 or 45 bucks. Most pharmacy schools don't start med chem until the second part of the first year or the second year. Don't think that you're going to get hit with it the first day (although we did have an organic review exam around the 2nd week of class...)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0781743818/qid=1083562051/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-3084721-8661614?v=glance&s=books

9. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I bought the Lemke book for last fall semester. It was required for our first med chem course but we never used it! I might review it this summer before we start heavy-duty med chem in the fall.

I think what you need to study during the summer depends on what school you are going to attend and what are the required classes. Pharmacy schools vary in their curriculum. What someone is taking the first year, another school will have in year two, etc. My hardest class was pathophysiology. If your school offers that course, I would recommend studying your physiology text. It is much easier to recognize disease states when you know the healthy state first.

10. ultracet

ultracet 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

it is a medchem review but it basically goes through functional groups which i found helpful in biochem
    we have 1 semester of biochem first then
    and then 2 of medchem which start your 2nd year

11. keiki

keiki Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

the lemke reivew of organic functional groups book is required for my medchem class this fall.... what do you guys think the differences are between the really old (1993) edition and the current (2003?) editions? i can't imagine that even though it's more than 10 years old, that much has changed in the functional groups.... it's just that the old editions are like 10 bucks whereas the new ones are around 30? call me cheap, but for 20 i can buy two course packs needed for my other classes! :D just wondering if it's a good idea or not... i haven't even seen a copy of the book so i'm not sure what other information is included that could have been outdated within the last 10 years..

thanks!

12. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    There's nothing in the Lemke book that isn't already in your organic textbook. The book is a thin paperback, only 150 pages including the appendix. It's handy to look up things, but I wouldn't consider it a necessity. It was required for my Intro to Med Chem course last semester and I didn't use it once. I don't know about your school, but for UF 1st year students - SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DON'T BUY THIS BOOK!

The second edition of the book from 1987, changed presentation and not content. The third (current) edition of the book modified the book to make it more relevant to pharmacy.

13. Trancelucent1

Trancelucent1 Gator Girl :)
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Thanks...after talking to a couple of other 2PD's I've decided not to buy this book b/c it seems that I won't really need it. Any other books I shouldn't waste my money on?? :)

14. keiki

keiki Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

oh good.. that was my other question.. cause i do still have my ochem book. thanks!! :)

15. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Don't buy the biochem book. Dr. Sullivan puts everything you need to know in his handouts. Some people didn't get the pathophysiology text, either. I thought it was a nice reference book and I used it a few times for clarification. You'll also use it to prepare your power point presentations for both pathophysiology and integrated case studies your 1st semester. Also, they always put in some test questions from the assigned book reading that wasn't covered in the lecture. You'll still do okay without the book, so it's up to you.

16. tupac_don

tupac_don Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey there,

Don't waste your time. It is nothing you can't handle once school starts. Enjoy your free time and relax before you start. Once you start work hard. But really don't waste time now, cuz really the benefit will be minimal. Relax and party it up and then Hit it hard in pharmacy school. Best of luck.

17. vafcarrot

vafcarrot the peon
    5+ Year Member

How many schools do placement tests? And is the test only for organic?