Starting Practice in New City +/- Direct Primary Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mt Kilimanjaro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This fork in the road is still a ways off, just have some time now and enjoy reading about practice management, etc.

How feasible is it to start a new practice in a place where you didn't do residency or practice before? Are there certain doctor/population ratios that you have to consider? Demographic factors? Other market research that needs to be done, or is this a "if you build it, they will come" type situation?

Also curious about DPC in this sort of model. I've done some reading and YouTubing about DPC, but most of it seems aimed at converting an existing practice to DPC rather than starting a new one.

Any thoughts or reading recommendations appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

This fork in the road is still a ways off, just have some time now and enjoy reading about practice management, etc.

How feasible is it to start a new practice in a place where you didn't do residency or practice before? Are there certain doctor/population ratios that you have to consider? Demographic factors? Other market research that needs to be done, or is this a "if you build it, they will come" type situation?

Also curious about DPC in this sort of model. I've done some reading and YouTubing about DPC, but most of it seems aimed at converting an existing practice to DPC rather than starting a new one.

Any thoughts or reading recommendations appreciated.
I did exactly what your talking about. Started 4 months out of residency in a town where I didn’t train at. It can be done!

Are you a part of our secret DPC docs group on Facebook?

Reactions: 1 users
I did exactly what your talking about. Started 4 months out of residency in a town where I didn’t train at. It can be done!

Are you a part of our secret DPC docs group on Facebook?
For starting out, I second the DPC group on Facebook. Lots of good resources since most of us don't actually know much about business.

There are also quite a few DPC practices actively hiring.

Members don't see this ad :)