Starting rotations off in August... with Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PokerDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yup, I got the fun one first. I was just hoping for some recommendations as for some texts to buy so I can thumb through them and not look like a total **** out there. What do you guys recommend for surgical shelf and for the rotation itself so I can be as informed as possible if i put in the effort before the rotation starts.

Also, any advice on how to learn how to stitch? I'd also like to be able to be half-way competent because I know many of our surgeons hand you the needle and say sew em up on your first day.

Members don't see this ad.

I started with surgery too. However, I have been knitting, crocheting, and sewing for literally decades. It wasn't bad. However, go scam some expired surgical supplies and get some pig's feet from the butcher. Slice the pig's feet up and practice your horizontal and vertical mattress sutures and also your running subQs.

Surgical Recall is good for pimping.

I started with surgery too. However, I have been knitting, crocheting, and sewing for literally decades. It wasn't bad. However, go scam some expired surgical supplies and get some pig's feet from the butcher. Slice the pig's feet up and practice your horizontal and vertical mattress sutures and also your running subQs.

Surgical Recall is good for pimping.
Dont all rotations start in July?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, any advice on how to learn how to stitch? I'd also like to be able to be half-way competent because I know many of our surgeons hand you the needle and say sew em up on your first day.
Seriously students are asked to sow something up on their first day of rotation???

Yup, I got the fun one first. I was just hoping for some recommendations as for some texts to buy so I can thumb through them and not look like a total **** out there. What do you guys recommend for surgical shelf and for the rotation itself so I can be as informed as possible if i put in the effort before the rotation starts.

I'm interested to see how your first rotation went, now that this thread is almost two months old?

Did you SURVIVE (my theory is that you did), but probably not unscathed......

Reactions: 1 user
I'm interested to see how your first rotation went, now that this thread is almost two months old?

Did you SURVIVE (my theory is that you did), but probably not unscathed......
Do rotations stRt in July or Aug?

Also practice tying knots--I find that knot tying was way more useful than learning to stitch, especially in the first few days.

I liked to just bum string off a friendly RN, tie them to my scrubs pants drawstrings, and tie knots when there was down time.
Be careful not to tie your pants closed though. :oops: