Starting salaries for urgent care or community hospitalist in Midwest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It’s really hard to find this info online. I’m weighing doing a fellowship in pulm or NICU vs urgent care or community hospitalist type work. I’ll be finishing residency next year. For the number of children and lifestyle I wish to have, I’d like to make 175-210k realistically. I’m also interested in doing a fellowship but know that many of the peds fellowships don’t really increase earnings. Is this kind of salary possible when first starting out? I’ll be looking for jobs in the Midwest - Wisconsin, Illinois area. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It’s really hard to find this info online. I’m weighing doing a fellowship in pulm or NICU vs urgent care or community hospitalist type work. I’ll be finishing residency next year. For the number of children and lifestyle I wish to have, I’d like to make 175-210k realistically. I’m also interested in doing a fellowship but know that many of the peds fellowships don’t really increase earnings. Is this kind of salary possible when first starting out? I’ll be looking for jobs in the Midwest - Wisconsin, Illinois area. Thanks!
Yes, those salaries exist. In fact the further you are from larger urban centers, the higher that salary goes.

Hey! If you work in the midwest in urgent care then 175-210 is big-time lowballing. You will be making plenty more, and can have flexibility and time with the family. If family life is what you're looking for, avoid critical care - life as a senior attending will be fine, but life as a fellow and junior attending will leave you no time with family. Feel free to PM - I've got 4 kids and working in UC in MD straight out of residency and it's working well for me.