Starting salary for a dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much a dentist makes right after college? I have information from various Internet sources about average dentist's salary, but I need the real proof. Does anyone know someone who just came out of college and started working?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

good answer tooth-lord! :))

Members don't see this ad :)
Your answer does not help me nor your other post. Let me rephrase again. Does any one know a dentist who just got out of a dental school and started working? I would like to know how much he/she is making. The salary information on the Internet is too broad and covers all dentists in the US.

Thanks for replying.

Hi smi!
I know the girl who after 3 years in NYU and 2 years postgrad in endo started with 150 000$. Not bad, I guess!

not bad but not all that good either! i was hoping we would be making that much after DDS! :( does it take a PG to make 150 thou? :(

Originally posted by toothmail
not bad but not all that good either! i was hoping we would be making that much after DDS! :( does it take a PG to make 150 thou? :(
frankly toothmail is 150k bad:(?

no toothlord...150 k is not bad at all! but what i was sad about was the fact that this person who earns that much has a post graduate degree in addition to a dds!! it seemed like we need to study so many years before we can think of 150k! most people have been telling me that with a dds, the usual earning as an associate is 80k....thats pretty disappointing!

maybe my standard is too low, but I think $80k is a pretty good salary- it's not low by any means. the only situation where I think it's low is if you went to a very expensive school. if you go to a cheap school, you'll live well with $80k/yr.

this just goes to show that everything is a matter of perspective! :D

hey guys,,

i am working in the middle east, and i am earning more than 100 000 $ yearly,,
its my 1st year still after graduation,,,
is it like USA here?

i thought in USA u earn a fortune as soon as u graduate ? advise me plzz

you mean more than 100,000 US dollars per year ??

mmm....thats a surprise I do know that many of indian doctors even with postgrad in India start up with Rs 80,000/month.
coming to your question... in US dentists earn 85 K per year average and this is before tax money.If you calculate the taxes as far as california is concerned you might get 55 -60 K in hand depending on the individual .

sang

Hey theone,
thats amazing! Where do you practice in the middle east? Bcos i was also under the impression that dentists earn maximum in the United states. well i am really glad that you are doing so well
Best of luck
Giffy

Originally posted by theone
hey guys,,

i am working in the middle east, and i am earning more than 100 000 $ yearly,,
its my 1st year still after graduation,,,
is it like USA here?

i thought in USA u earn a fortune as soon as u graduate ? advise me plzz
:wow: what man.........I had another mandibular dislocation.help

hi all,,

to tell u the truth i am earning around 50000 $ a year, but paying 0% tax, plus they are providing accomodation + transportation, around 15000 $,, so i figured it out to be like more than 100000$ in USA as there is tax there.. right? correct me please if not true.

the place where i work in is Saudi Arabia,

have a gr8 time,

in which country your working,heaven?

maybe my standard is too low, but I think $80k is a pretty good salary- it's not low by any means. the only situation where I think it's low is if you went to a very expensive school. if you go to a cheap school, you'll live well with $80k/yr.

i agree with tooth mail.. and the good news is that general dentists make much more than 200000$ anually in private practice depending on the person's abilities. And overall it all depends on how much you wish for after settling into practice.If you want 80000$ and are happy with it, you will never get more..I have 2 friends who after graduation and GPR entered practice and are earning above the figures i told you in one year. so remember sky is the limit, until you aim too low and make it an employers market.

ddsapply13 said:

i agree with tooth mail.. and the good news is that general dentists make much more than 200000$ anually in private practice depending on the person's abilities. And overall it all depends on how much you wish for after settling into practice.If you want 80000$ and are happy with it, you will never get more..I have 2 friends who after graduation and GPR entered practice and are earning above the figures i told you in one year. so remember sky is the limit, until you aim too low and make it an employers market.
the whole issue depends on what you want and what you need.