starting salary for physician in public health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roadrunner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the average starting salary for a physician in public health? For example, as a health officer? These positions may be titled differently from state to state but basically a doc who does some clinical work (STD clinics, prenatal stuff, immunization clinics, etc.) and some health prevention work. When you reply please say what state(s) you're refering to.

I know, some of you are saying to yourselves, "Why do you care about salary? You should live for your ideals and let the rest fall into place." But I'm asking first out of curiousity and secondly because income is a very practical matter for a starting physician as we have a tremendous loan burden and have to consider that into career decisions. Thanks for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

From Careers in Medicine:

........................Low..........Median........High......
Early Career........$84,500.....$105,000.....$145,000
Mid/late Career....$135,000...$158,000.....$206,000

$5.15/hour unless you're salaried. Then it's lower on a per hour basis. :D
The MPH has to be one of those special degrees that on average, and definitely for MDs, tends to *lower* your salary.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, computer jammed.

Thanks for the replies. I'm curious to hear more anecdotal info than average salary stats--so if any of you docs are working in public health, would you please share your compensation level.

For example, I know someone who is taking a public health officer position in a rural Southwestern US location and she will be making about $100-105K per year. And she's just out of residency. Which is comparable to the stats posted. I just wanted more anecdotal data points. Thanks.

I did the NYC DOHMH Health Research Training Program last summer and worked alongside physicians at the DOHMH. Two of them lived on the upper west side and one on the east side. these are not cheap places to live at all so i would definitely put their salary in at least the median range. also on the DOHMH's website all the salaries are listed with the potential job openings and they are always hiring physicians. the CDC also offers the same type of site.