Starting school in January?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brando989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to start school this January out-of-state. Will this impact my chances for admission at all? What do I need to know?

Members don't see this ad.

1. No.
2. Go to the school's admission's office and get brochures.

Last edited:
1. No.
2. Go to the school's admission's office and get brochures.

Since most medical schools only accept students for the fall won't me starting in January only be considered half a year?

I need some advice from someone who has done this.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol no that doesn't matter but if you're really considered just go full time one summer semester and that'll make up for starting in January instead of August/September. You'll be right on schedule with everyone else who started the semester before you.

That's a really good idea I never thought about. Which summer do you think would be the best to do the make up work?

ohhhhh sorry I guess I didn't get what you were asking :s the best summer to do it would be first summer you are able to, a lot of times you need the basic pre-req classes like bio 1 and 2, chem 1 and 2 in order to take anything upper level so the farther you delay taking those classes the further you will delay taking your major classes so the sooner the better but if you don't think you can handle it slow down-- don't risk hurting your gpa.

If you talk to a pre-med advisor they will show you exactly what to take and when to take it to stay on track. Each university is different as far as which classes they offer at certain times of the year.

As long as you get the required credits for a bachelor's degree in a major of your choosing, plus the pre-reqs, you'll be fine. There are several people in my med school class who started undergrad normally in a fall semester and graduated a semester early (at the end of their 4th fall semester). It's completely doable, you just have to take more credits during the semesters and/or take a few summer courses.

And if you have a lot of AP credit it'll be even more of a breeze to do it in 3.5 :)