Starting Technion this fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medila18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I noticed how great the BGU and Sackler discussions work and decided to start a Technion thread.

I'm starting TeAMS this fall and would love to meet everyone in my class and any current students on sdn or facebook (I'm not sure if we have a group there yet).

So whether you're waiting for your acceptance letter or you're graduating Technion, post your questions, advice, comments, whatever on this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Ill also be starting this Fall. Any idea of where students generally live (ie dorms vs. apartments)?

I am a current student in the TEAMS program. Happy to answer any and all questions bout the Academics, Social life, Living arrangements, what to bring, and whatever else you may be wondering, feel free to join the TEAMS facebook page and a bunch of us are there to help answer questions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Great to meet you both. Rarekare, are you starting with ulpan or med school classes?

I was wondering if you could post your non-private Q&A here. I have a feeling a lot of people have the same concerns, me included.

Medila,
I recently submitted the hebrew proficiency exam and am waiting to see if I will have to attend ulpan. I speak a pretty decent hebrew, if you can get past the horrible american accent, so I'm hoping to begin at orientation time. How about you?

Hey guys,
I actually signed on to start this thread - glad to see you others are already out there.
I am also going to be starting this fall at technion.
As far as the living locations go - the technion dorms themsleves are about a 45 minute bus ride to where our building is located. Many of the current students rent apartments in Bat Galim, which is the neighborhood our building is in. It is not very nice - has a reputation for being scumy - but: it is not nearly as bad as neighborhoods like Washington Heights, it is very convinient being so close to the school, the students have a great social community set up amongst themsleves, any kind of place you would want to go is not far at all, and most importantly, any apartment there is blocks from the beach.
Other students seem to live farther away in nicer areas, which may make sense if you have a family.
Where are you guys from? (I am from North Jersey)

hey Guy,
Im from LA, but i did my undergrad in NYC. Did you live in Washington heights? I also heard Bat Galim isnt so amazing, and that the dorms are not recommended. But I actually just scored a really awsome apartment through someone I know in Kiryat Eliezer, which is just outside Bat galim. Its less than a 10 minute walk to the school and there are super markets, cafes, and shops around. Oh ya and bus stops.
I wonder why more people havent posted?...

Hey,
I'll look into kiryat eliezer - it sounds nice.
I live 10 minutes from the heights, and know alot of people there so I have spent much time there (and sustained much damage to my car there as well) but I would not live there.
Where did you do undergrad? nyu?
I also hope more poeple start posting...I have never been much for cyber interaction but given the situation I figured now is a good time to start.
The class is going to be small, and I don't know how many people look at these sites at all.

Hey Medilla, Where do you live?

I'm a student living in Bat Galim, and I have to say it's not as bad as it sounded to me when I first heard about it.

When I was accepted last year, I read about Bat Galim from forums like this and thought it was a super ghetto that I'd be afraid to walk in at night.

It's not. It's not the most upscale neighborhood, but most of the people in it are Old Russian couples, Soldiers (from the Navy Base), and Students from the Med School (American and Israelis).

It's right on the water with an Okay beach, has a train station, a few restaurants, 2 supermarkets, and most importantly, the school. When I lived on campus the early wake up to get on a bus or cab to school was killer. And if it was raining sometimes traffic stood still for an hour. Having to commute can add 2 hrs to your day with time waiting and traveling. It's a pleasure to wake up, jump in the shower and take a 5-10 minute walk to school.

Kiryat Eliezer is slightly farther away from the school and only moderately nicer.

We have about 12 out of the 32 students in our class living in Bat Galim now with more looking to move for next year.

We have a lot of fun here, shabbat dinners for 10-15 people, days at the beach on the weekend, and a good contingent of people to go up to the Carmel (where the major nightlife of Haifa is). As more people move here, it gets nicer and nicer.

I would highly recommend living in Bat Galim for at least your first 2 years (pre-clinical), but that is my personal preference. If you decide it is right for you and need help finding an apartment, get in touch with me and I'll tell you where to look and even point you to some nice apartments. If you're thinking of taking a different route, get in touch with me and I'll give you info about life where you are looking to live.

Last edited:
Hey, guys,
It's great to see more people joining in. Great to meet you, Guy! So to answer some questions. I live in New York state. I'm planning to come for Ulpan and at least start living in the dorms. I'd love to find an appartment right away, but so far I don't know much about the city.

Are any of guys living in Israel already? If not when are you coming?

Good luck on your anatomy exam, Jon!

Hey, guys,
It's great to see more people joining in. Great to meet you, Guy! So to answer some questions. I live in New York state. I'm planning to come for Ulpan and at least start living in the dorms. I'd love to find an appartment right away, but so far I don't know much about the city.

Are any of guys living in Israel already? If not when are you coming?

Good luck on your anatomy exam, Jon!

Hey,
I am also waiting for the results of the hebrew test, but I suspect I will be asked to take the Ulpan. It starts august 12th so I'll probobly show up about a week before.
I also plan to start in the dorms during Ulpan, and use that time to find an apartment around Bat Galim.

Just making sure we're all in the right field, huh. :D

Someone in our class had the great idea of starting a group for us on facebook. Please, join and tell anyone you know who will be starting TeAMS this fall so we can all meet each other. It's "Technion Medical School: Class of 2011".

Just trying to stir things up a bit...
Facebook ought to help with that.

Not sure why I didn't think to look for a thread like this before... very glad I found it now though. I will also be starting Technion this fall, and will be taking the intensive Hebrew course. I don't speak a word. Has everyone here joined the group on facebook? Hopefully we'll be able to get an email list soon of the entire class. When is everyone going? I am yet to receive any of my paperwork, so am feeling rather blind. Sounds like the first couple months we'll all (or some) be in the dorms for the language course, and then move down to Bat Galim before school starts? So much to think about...

I just found out today I'm coming for ulpan for sure. Anyone else have to do that also? Is everyone here on TeAMS/ 2011 in facebook? Just wondering if we're talking to the same people on both.

Are there synagogoues in Bat Galim and Kiryat Eliezer?
Where is Kiryat Shmuel in relation to Bat Galim?

congrats all on your acceptance!!!

did anyone get into the technion without personally having rinat tell you of your acceptance over the phone or an email??