Starting the path to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BAMG512

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so I am a Senior in High School right now but I have been taking college classes since my sophomore year and I have a cGPA of 3.56. I will get my AA degree this semester at the same time with my high school diploma. I am also transferring to FIU this summer to major in Biomedical Engineering. I have been really worried because I REALLY want to /NEED to get to medical school some day and my GPA is not that competitive. I have done an internship of 60 hours with a General surgeon and I also have volunteered about 150 hours at the hospital.I just wanted to know what should I do to have a better chance to get into Med school in the pretty soon future. I would also like to know what should my MCAT score should be to be kinda safe from med school admissions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi so I am a Senior in High School right now but I have been taking college classes since my sophomore year and I have a cGPA of 3.56. I will get my AA degree this semester at the same time with my high school diploma. I am also transferring to FIU this summer to major in Biomedical Engineering. I have been really worried because I REALLY want to /NEED to get to medical school some day and my GPA is not that competitive. I have done an internship of 60 hours with a General surgeon and I also have volunteered about 150 hours at the hospital.I just wanted to know what should I do to have a better chance to get into Med school in the pretty soon future. I would also like to know what should my MCAT score should be to be kinda safe from med school admissions.

Your current GPA is in the OK range...higher would be better. That is the GPA for your college courses only, correct? Get as many A's as possible from here on out...especially in your BCMP courses (bio, chem, math, physics). Have you taken any of the med school pre-reqs yet? You will need to have 1 year of bio, 1 year of general chem, 1 year organic chem, 1 year math and/or statistics, 1 year physics, 1 semester biochem, plus the accompanying labs.

Anything you did in high school like volunteering, etc does not carry over to undergrad....unless said activity is continued during undergrad. You will need clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, some leadership, and some shadowing to put a quality application package together.

Quite honestly, no MCAT score is "kinda safe" if you don't have the rest of the package...GPA, clinical, non-clinical, shadowing, etc. to go with it. A MCAT score of 510 is the pretty common recommendation for being "in the range", but higher is obviously better.

Good luck. Don't rush things.

Reactions: 1 users
No one NEEDS to go to med school. Get into college first.
The median MCAT score for MD acceptees is ~510 (30 on the old scale)

Your current GPA is in the OK range...higher would be better. That is the GPA for your college courses only, correct? Get as many A's as possible from here on out...especially in your BCMP courses (bio, chem, math, physics). Have you taken any of the med school pre-reqs yet? You will need to have 1 year of bio, 1 year of general chem, 1 year organic chem, 1 year math and/or statistics, 1 year physics, 1 semester biochem, plus the accompanying labs.

Anything you did in high school like volunteering, etc does not carry over to undergrad....unless said activity is continued during undergrad. You will need clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, some leadership, and some shadowing to put a quality application package together.

Quite honestly, no MCAT score is "kinda safe" if you don't have the rest of the package...GPA, clinical, non-clinical, shadowing, etc. to go with it. A MCAT score of 510 is the pretty common recommendation for being "in the range", but higher is obviously better.

Good luck. Don't rush things.
Thanks! and yes that GPA is my college gpa only, and I have taken calculus and got an A, I took Bio1 a few years ago with lab and got a B. But I still need everything else.
Thanks a lot this really helped me.