Starting to become a family physician at 25?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Streetmath

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
===

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At age 25, I am looking at attending MUN (Memorial University of Newfoundland). I am hoping to get my masters in biology then off to med school with an end goal of becoming a GP. At a minimum of 9 years of schooling, is it worth it at 25?

I am looking for some insight on going to MUN at an older age. I am guessing most people get out of high school and start to work towards this goal. Do people often do this at an older age?

Thanks in advance! :)

Whether it's worth it to you depends on how badly you want to be a physician and why. I am a Canadian as well actually and did my medical school in Calgary. Average age in the class was probably around 24-25 but there were a number of people who started medical school at older ages including 30+.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to medical school at age of 37 (and I was not the oldest in my class)...I will be applying this year for residency. After so many struggles, I sometimes ask myself if it was worth it, to quit a highly paid corporate job ($130k/year) to become a med student and live off loans that I have no clue how I am gonna pay off...the answer is invariably the same...Hell yeah it was worth it. If I had to do it all over again, I would in heart beat. Now, I agree with the post above, age should never be taken into consideration....what you should ask yourself, is how much do you really want it. Best of luck buddy...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I went to medical school at age of 37 (and I was not the oldest in my class)...I will be applying this year for residency. After so many struggles, I sometimes ask myself if it was worth it, to quit a highly paid corporate job ($130k/year) to become a med student and live off loans that I have no clue how I am gonna pay off...the answer is invariably the same...Hell yeah it was worth it. If I had to do it all over again, I would in heart beat. Now, I agree with the post above, age should never be taken into consideration....what you should ask yourself, is how much do you really want it. Best of luck buddy...
Wow! Major props to you! We share some of the same thoughts, how are we gonna pay off student loans? People before us have done it, I guess we will manage!

Best of luck to you! :)

I was 29 when I started. Everyone's situation is different, but your age won't stop you. One guy in my class started at 50.

Reactions: 1 users
50! Way to go for him!

He was a general contractor before med school. Wanted to wait until all of his kids were out of the house before he went back. He's semi-retired again now, after working full-time as an FP for 15 years or so.

Also 37 when I started med school, just finished FM residency at 43. Very happy with my choice. I am a very young 43 and thankfully healthy but med school and residency has aged me. I would still do it again. I am grateful every day to be paid well to do what I love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Also 37 when I started med school, just finished FM residency at 43. Very happy with my choice. I am a very young 43 and thankfully healthy but med school and residency has aged me. I would still do it again. I am grateful every day to be paid well to do what I love.

Way to go for you! So happy for you! :)

So, is this going to be just a continuing thread for people who started med school at >25 y/o (which isn't really even considered "old" by med school admissions standards), or have you already figured out that it doesn't really matter? ;)

Reactions: 3 users
So, is this going to be just a continuing thread for people who started med school at >25 y/o (which isn't really even considered "old" by med school admissions standards), or have you already figured out that it doesn't really matter? ;)
It has definitely opened my eyes that 25 is not old to start med school...not even close! It is also nice to hear peoples stories!

I turned 30 during my first month of med school. Now about to turn 36 and am starting my final year of FM training; I think it was totally worth it. For the first time in my life I can say that I absolutely love my job! That's a great feeling!

You still in state or did you abandon us?

Members don't see this ad :)
You still in state or did you abandon us?

Staying in SC at least for a few years. Will serve my NHSC obligation at a well-respected FQHC and try to keep my hand in the residency program etc.

Former IT guy. Saw the Twin Towers come crashing to the ground and realized that it really can be over that quickly. Time for me to get on track with what I'm supposed to do with my life. Did 2 years of post bac for my prerequisites and started med school at 27 in 2005. Completed residency in 2012. Only regret is not paying on the loan interest while in residency and having it capitalize on me. It took 3 years of payments on my loans before I was even back at my beginning disbursement amount. That was literally a $115,200 mistake. OUCH!

If a loan is in the plan, be VERY, VERY careful.

At age 25, I am looking at attending MUN (Memorial University of Newfoundland). I am hoping to get my masters in biology then off to med school with an end goal of becoming a GP. At a minimum of 9 years of schooling, is it worth it at 25?

I am looking for some insight on going to MUN at an older age. I am guessing most people get out of high school and start to work towards this goal. Do people often do this at an older age?

Thanks in advance! :)
I went to med school at 32 and finished at 40. Live a little.

That's good advice no matter what your age is.

I'm far from a person that blames others for my problems, but I sincerely wish I would of received better loan counseling while in school and residency.

"Ok, so you wanna be a family doc? Here's the national average take home monthly pay. Here's what your loan payments will be if you borrow x, for the next 20 years. How's that sound?" Sure would of been helpful.....

"Ok, so you wanna be a family doc? Here's the national average take home monthly pay. Here's what your loan payments will be if you borrow x, for the next 20 years. How's that sound?" Sure would of been helpful.....

Agreed. My wife was in banking, so we were able to be smarter about it than most.

I'm starting medical school at age 31 ! Originally was pre-podiatry during my undergrad (ah, when i was a young lad at 18) , but decided to go the RN-BSN path, then ultimately into Advanced Nursing Practice. I'm at a point in my life where i have realized that i want to further my education , to specialize further. I had to discern and decide whether going to PCOM or TemplePOD was the best for me. Ultimatley i accepted Temple and going with it.

The only thing that will be negative will be having to resign from my full time position as a hospitalist NP at a major hospital in Philadelphia, and switching to per diem status at a local urgency care facility (which is my 2nd job right now). Dropping down from making over $240-$260k (i work 2 jobs) a year to using up my savings to fund and pay for medical school and picking up hours on weekends is going to be a lifestyle change, definitely.

But to the OP -- if you want something so bad, its worth it, even the sacrifices ! Best of luck!!

Also good to read that there are also other non-traditional students who started medical school 'later in life' , lol.

I went to med school at 32 and finished at 40. Live a little.

Okay, a little question, be honest with me.

Is it hard to date while in medical school? Do relationships work out? Or are relationships ill-advised? Thanks.

NP 2 DPM, I gave up less than 1/2 your income as a PA to go back to med school six years ago--went deeper into debt but I am now on the other side and starting my first attending job on Monday. I am happier every day that I did it. Best wishes to you.

NP 2 DPM, I gave up less than 1/2 your income as a PA to go back to med school six years ago--went deeper into debt but I am now on the other side and starting my first attending job on Monday. I am happier every day that I did it. Best wishes to you.

Looks like NP 2 DPM was banned. They probably won't see that message.

Oh geez thanks BD lol

Oh geez thanks BD lol

It wasn't me! I'm not a mod (although some people seem to think I am, for some reason - probably because I used to be). My ban hammer was confiscated years ago (unfortunately). ;)

Wow! Major props to you! We share some of the same thoughts, how are we gonna pay off student loans? People before us have done it, I guess we will manage!

Best of luck to you! :)

How to pay off those loans:

1. 200K per year starting is about 130K to 140K after taxes. Live on 40 for the first 5 years. Put 50 in investments and put the rest towards your loans. Done.

2. Go somewhere rural for a few years and have the govt. pay it off for you.

3. Now that you have spent less for the past 5 years, you can increase your spending enough for a house payment and perhaps a higher quality of life while putting at least 30 percent of your income into low fee mutual funds. Sit back and let it grow.

4. If you work for a company that pays you a pension then you will be more comfortable if you can handle working for them for 20 years or so.

There is your formula. Now all you have to think about is if it's worth it to go to medical school.

Just our of curiosity, why do you need a masters in biology?