Ahmed786

10+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
So I just took AAMC 10 today and scored a 12 9 12 with 47/52, 29/40, and 46/52 but what I find really annoying is had I just scored 6 more questions right, I would have scored a 13 10 13 my question is how do you get over that scoring hump? People who consistently score 37 or 38 how do you not get "unlucky" and score 32 or 34?

A lot of the answers were ahh I'm so dumb why did I put that but I still don't know what to do, test is in 9 days. Share with me your experiences guys.

mipp0

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2008
Status
Dude calm down. 32 - 34 is a great score range.

Cracking that 35+ is a good combination of luck, strong PS/BS intuition, and careful test taking. Like you said, you were making stupid mistakes.

There are many students who can't get to where you are, so be happy bro. You come off arrogant. I say you're on a good track to doing well come MCAT day.

Ahmed786

10+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I dont mean to come off as arrogant so I apologize. And I agree, 32-34 is a good score but its just not the goal I set for myself. It makes me sad seeing all of the 37's-41's posted on here knowing that some kids have just cracked this test and I still havent managed to figure it out yet. I am just sort of stuck as to how to get over that plateu of 12's in the sciences and 11 in verbal.

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I don't think Ahmed was arrogant at all. Everyone has different goals and if you feel you aren't meeting yours, then you should come and ask for help. Some people will be disappointed with a 36 while others will be ecstatic with a 30, nothing wrong with that.

Unfortunately there aren't really any secrets to this test but I'll tell you what I think you need for a top score.

First of all, make sure you aren't getting questions wrong because you didn't know the content. To be perfectly honest, that's the easiest thing to improve and there's no reason to get those questions wrong. Go back and analyze every question (right and wrong), although you seem to be doing that. Figure out why you got it wrong, and if it was careless, why you made that mistake and how not to make it again. I noticed I was getting the easiest chem questions wrong because of carelessness (I'd mess up the simple math because I'd forget there was two ions or something). Knowing this, I would go back and quickly double-check any simple questions that I tended to screw up.

I'm not sure how your timing is, but having extra time was critical for me. I had 10-15 minutes at the end of PS and BS, which I then used to go back and review any question I marked, possibly twice or more. That's another thing, use the marking feature appropriately. I ONLY checked what I marked, but I marked anything I wasn't 90% sure of.

On a side note, really try to bring that verbal up to 10. A 10 on that would be better than getting both 12s to 13s. Read the passages carefully, don't rush. The key is not letting yourself get stuck on questions you aren't sure of. Think about it quickly, pick an answer, mark it, and come back if you can.

Be confident and never let yourself freak out in the middle of a test. If you do, stop and take a breath.

azrk

10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think Ahmed was arrogant at all. Everyone has different goals and if you feel you aren't meeting yours, then you should come and ask for help. Some people will be disappointed with a 36 while others will be ecstatic with a 30, nothing wrong with that.

Unfortunately there aren't really any secrets to this test but I'll tell you what I think you need for a top score.

First of all, make sure you aren't getting questions wrong because you didn't know the content. To be perfectly honest, that's the easiest thing to improve and there's no reason to get those questions wrong. Go back and analyze every question (right and wrong), although you seem to be doing that. Figure out why you got it wrong, and if it was careless, why you made that mistake and how not to make it again. I noticed I was getting the easiest chem questions wrong because of carelessness (I'd mess up the simple math because I'd forget there was two ions or something). Knowing this, I would go back and quickly double-check any simple questions that I tended to screw up.

I'm not sure how your timing is, but having extra time was critical for me. I had 10-15 minutes at the end of PS and BS, which I then used to go back and review any question I marked, possibly twice or more. That's another thing, use the marking feature appropriately. I ONLY checked what I marked, but I marked anything I wasn't 90% sure of.

On a side note, really try to bring that verbal up to 10. A 10 on that would be better than getting both 12s to 13s. Read the passages carefully, don't rush. The key is not letting yourself get stuck on questions you aren't sure of. Think about it quickly, pick an answer, mark it, and come back if you can.

Be confident and never let yourself freak out in the middle of a test. If you do, stop and take a breath.
I am so jealous I would love to have 10-15 minutes left after PS. Im grateful to finish at all :(.

As far as verbal goes I could debate the validity of multiple answers. So I guess in that regard you do have to be abit lucky... This is the first standardized test that I have scored low on verbal.

Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Status
Medical Student
I am so jealous I would love to have 10-15 minutes left after PS. Im grateful to finish at all :(.
That's how I feel. I started out doing pretty awesome on PS, and then I lost my groove and started running out of time on the sections with more practices. I BARELY finished on time for the 3/27. I prayyyy I did okay.

OneTripAcross

Dreaming about the Stream.
7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
30+ is a great score, MD average acceptance. Just because every other person on SDN says they scored 35+ doesnt mean that they ACTUALLY scored that...;). Study hard, you will be fine.

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
So I just took AAMC 10 today and scored a 12 9 12 with 47/52, 29/40, and 46/52 but what I find really annoying is had I just scored 6 more questions right, I would have scored a 13 10 13 my question is how do you get over that scoring hump? People who consistently score 37 or 38 how do you not get "unlucky" and score 32 or 34?

A lot of the answers were ahh I'm so dumb why did I put that but I still don't know what to do, test is in 9 days. Share with me your experiences guys.
I disagree a little bit. From the old posts one should be able to consistently get 35 or 36. 37-41 is the mark where luck can arguably play a role. That was my range on my practice tests and I never felt better on any particular test. I think a 13 in the sciences should be expected if you've truly mastered the concepts, past that then one can argue luck. You are in the range. You are close. The only thing to worry about is verbal. I agree with NYR 56, read the passages carefully and then it'll make answering the questions easier. It is difficult to hit 37+ if you can't hit at least a 10 in verbal.

On the verbal on my test I was happy I slowed down because most of the answers were easy if you remembered a small detail which made making an inference easy. If you had read it quickly and gone for tone you would have been owned. So, if you have some verbal tests left, try this. If you stay calm on test day I think you'll be fine man.

If you haven't already, get the official AAMC book. It has 6 passages and 30 questions. The types of questions they asked were similar. You couldn't just read quickly and get the authors tone and answer. The questions required inferences but were based on little details. It forced me to adjust so I wasn't shocked on the test.