Starting to freak out....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GA_MDhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really starting to freak out about the whole med school application/interviewing process. I was done with my secondaries in late July/August (some not until early October), but I've only heard from 3 schools. I've had an interview at Emory, have one at AECOM next weekend, and one scheduled at NYMC for APRIL (ugh). However, my MCAT scores are rather competitive and my GPA is up there as well. What is going on??? Are there other people in the same boat as me or should I really be getting worried? Also, at what point do you stop waiting for interview invites and start expecting rejection letters? I thought that I was doing somewhat ok until I started reading about how many people are already accepted...

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yeah, one more thing...I have yet to get rejected from anywhere?!? So it's just more-so that I'm not hearing from places (and yes, I have called to make sure they have everything on file and have been told repeatedly that my application is being "reviewed")

GA_MDhopeful said:
I'm really starting to freak out about the whole med school application/interviewing process. I was done with my secondaries in late July/August (some not until early October), but I've only heard from 3 schools. I've had an interview at Emory, have one at AECOM next weekend, and one scheduled at NYMC for APRIL (ugh). However, my MCAT scores are rather competitive and my GPA is up there as well. What is going on??? Are there other people in the same boat as me or should I really be getting worried? Also, at what point do you stop waiting for interview invites and start expecting rejection letters? I thought that I was doing somewhat ok until I started reading about how many people are already accepted...

Keep in mind...people are more likely to post their successes than their failures.

Members don't see this ad :)
GA_MDhopeful said:
Oh yeah, one more thing...I have yet to get rejected from anywhere?!? So it's just more-so that I'm not hearing from places (and yes, I have called to make sure they have everything on file and have been told repeatedly that my application is being "reviewed")

I'm in the same boat as you GA_MDhopeful. I have only heard from 3 schools and I'm waiting to hear from a lot more. My MCAT scores and GPA are competitive too... I don't know whats going on. Glad I'm not the only one wondering about this.

You sound like you're doing all right -- no rejections is a good thing. If it's *April*, and you still haven't gotten responses from any of your schools, then you might start freaking, but it's just January. Just keep your composure, and remember to look confident during your interviews. You're just in the 'limbo' or 'waiting' period right now.

Patience :) And as gostudy noted, people are far more likely to say 'I got in' (particularly if to a school they really wanted) than they are to make a new thread saying 'i got dumped', or even to add a post on the wall of shame. That's what the mdapp profile is for (especially since people apply to - and get rejected from - a lot of schools).

hey, 3 interviews = opportunities. Besides, not hearing from a school does not mean rejection. The schools probably already handed out a lot of rejections, so it could mean one of two things: no one picked up your file yet or pre-interview hold. Both are not necessarily a bad thing.

You are doing better than I am: 3 interviews and 6 rejections, one I haven't heard from. I think my stats are semi-competitive (3.98 GPA/31 MCAT). I didn't apply to any "reach" schools though. Only one was in the top 50 I applied to (Ohio State).

Did you apply to all high-end schools? Any state schools?
I don't know all the details of your situation, but it seems like you are doing ok. You have interviews, which can get you in a school.
Good luck

I'm trying not to freak out also, I'm glad I saw this thread. At least one other person is in the same boat. I applied to 16 schools. I've gotten into my state school, I've interviewed at 2 others, and I've been rejected from 2 of my reach schools. I have a steller application. So let's both do our best to stay calm. I think we'll be alright.

I thought I was pretty competative too. I was waitlisted everywhere. Got in to EVERY school, in JUNE. Make sure you have contingency plans, but you'll hear from the schools one way or another. Good luck.

sscooterguy