Starting to Freak Out...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saxfantastic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Here's the deal: I'm a senior undergraduate applying to 5 different MD programs. I've had one acceptance thus far and gotten waitlisted at one institution, but I haven't heard anything from the other three schools I've applied to--2 of which are, without a doubt, my dream schools. I sent in my secondaries in August and September and have been complete since late September everywhere.

Stats:
33R MCAT
3.9 cGPA
3.8 sGPA
Nearly 600 hours of volunteer service in the ER at a local hospital
Have worked part-time at a local grocery store since I was in high school
2 shadowing experiences (very recent and there will be more; will be included in updates to these schools once I get my fall grades)
I'm trilingual (English/French/Spanish) and have studied abroad and gone overseas for shorter trips for school and to visit family
I hold leadership positions in 2 clubs and 2 other organizations at my undergraduate institution
1 summer of research

I'm currently composing updates for the schools I haven't heard anything from, and I've contacted admissions at the school where I'm waitlisted to see what needs to be done there. I'm also composing letters of interest, basically to say "Hi, I'm still out here and I'd be a great fit for your program and here's why." If y'all have any suggestions/opinions/words of consolation, I'd love to hear 'em! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
Here's the deal: I'm a senior undergraduate applying to 5 different MD programs. I've had one acceptance thus far and gotten waitlisted at one institution, but I haven't heard anything from the other three schools I've applied to--2 of which are, without a doubt, my dream schools. I sent in my secondaries in August and September and have been complete since late September everywhere.

Stats:
33R MCAT
3.9 cGPA
3.8 sGPA
Nearly 600 hours of volunteer service in the ER at a local hospital
Have worked part-time at a local grocery store since I was in high school
2 shadowing experiences (very recent and there will be more; will be included in updates to these schools once I get my fall grades)
I'm trilingual (English/French/Spanish) and have studied abroad and gone overseas for shorter trips for school and to visit family
I hold leadership positions in 2 clubs and 2 other organizations at my undergraduate institution
1 summer of research

I'm currently composing updates for the schools I haven't heard anything from, and I've contacted admissions at the school where I'm waitlisted to see what needs to be done there. I'm also composing letters of interest, basically to say "Hi, I'm still out here and I'd be a great fit for your program and here's why." If y'all have any suggestions/opinions/words of consolation, I'd love to hear 'em! :)
Half the application season has yet to happen, so don't give up hope yet, even though you became Complete on the late side by SDN standards.

"Freaking out" is unjustified, and I hope it's an overly strong term for what you're feeling. You have very-good stats, but below average research, no shadowing on your application, and no mentioned nonmedical community service. Considering your less-than-comprehensive ECs (except for the clinical experience and leadership) you are fortunate to have an acceptance and to know this early in the season that you will become a physician. Congrats.