starting to get worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinny34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
got my first rejection yesterday

post-secondary rejection from georgetown, and a hold from suny upstate

What are my chances like?
3.25 overall
3.38 science gpa
35L (13P, 11B, 11V)

are my lopsided stats (lower overall gpa and garbage writing score) killing me?

Members don't see this ad.

no one can tell you what your chances are. you should have some idea on your own.

3.25 overall
3.38 science gpa
35L (13P, 11B, 11V)

I think you will be fine, good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

3.25 overall
3.38 science gpa
35L (13P, 11B, 11V)

need more info, trends, ec's ect. no idea with just numbers. With the high mcat you should get a look a least.

3.25 overall
3.38 science gpa
35L (13P, 11B, 11V)

unless you only applied to 2 schools then you have a decent shot based on your MCAT. I wouldn't worry too much about the L because you rocked the verbal section!

need more info, trends, ec's ect. no idea with just numbers. With the high mcat you should get a look a least.

emt for two years, ER volunteer for two years, mentor for an underpriveledged kid for a year, SAT tutor, youth center volunteer at a housing project...

freshman year: 3.0
sophomore: 3.2
junior: 3.3
senior: 3.4

thanks for the replies, guys!

unless you only applied to 2 schools then you have a decent shot based on your MCAT. I wouldn't worry too much about the L because you rocked the verbal section!

thanks!

i've applied to 14 schools so far, with competitiveness ranging from albany med all the way to cornell, one more secondary to go (stony brook)

Your stats are close to mine. I got in.

thanks!

i've applied to 14 schools so far, with competitiveness ranging from albany med all the way to cornell, one more secondary to go (stony brook)

yeah, don't panic, it's november! you never know who will like you, who won't...don't throw in the towel or get depressed based on one school!!!

When did you send in your applications? The earlier you send it, the faster/easier the process is (relatively speaking). What was your major? Your grades are so-so but there's an upward trend (which is good). Your MCAT score is GREAT. I think you are competitive as long as you applied far and wide and all over the map. What state are you from? New York? You stand a good chance at your state school.

i'm from new york, business management major from boston college.

just got another rejection from BU.

i'm from new york, business management major from boston college.

just got another rejection from BU.

Business management major? Is that from a major offered thru the bschool? I ask because I think majors do matter when your stats are borderline. I know people say it doesn't matter what you major in but I tend to disagree here.

I think a bschool major could hurt you more if the GPA is lukewarm than if it's a 'hard science' major (bio/chem/etc), not necessarily because it's 'easier', but because some adcoms may believe that.

I say this because I met a guy who had a 3.2 in finance (screwed up first year or something) and MCAT 35 and couldn't get into our state school the first round because the adcoms kept on pounding him about his lousy GPA "in business school", implying that the 3.2 is equivalent to a much lower GPA in the sciences (in terms of effort). He did a masters and got in later. I know it's only one person and I can't say that bschoolers are expected to have higher GPAs than comparable people with science backgrounds but that's the only reason I can see for you to get rejections.

However, it's still early in the game. I'm sure you'll get a nibble soon. Remember, they have to interview all those star 4.0ers and 40 MCATers first! ;)