Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Starting to loose hope - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Isradoc1983, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Isradoc1983

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hello
    So, I have applied kinda late. I took DAT on sept 15th and application was complete in most schools around mid october ( 16 I think). Look at my predents for stats and EXC'. I have received an invite from BU and was sure that the rest would follow, but now its almost the end of dec' and none of the schools I applied invited me for an interview. My first choices are BU, Tufts, and NYU ( for personal reasons). I really don't know what to do. I know my RC is prob the biggest problem in my application, but I speak 3 languages! I have called tufts and NYU and they both said that my application looks competitive! so why am I not getting any more interviews?!?!?!
    I just don't know what else to do. I am shadowing a dentist and he promised to write me a rec' letter so I just hope that someone will notice my application. Also, I was thinking about retaking the DAT but its 2 late for this cycle and I hope I won't have to reapply.
    Does anyone knows what are the chances of getting into BU post Dec 1st?
    sorry for the long rant but I am just anxiously waiting for an interview and starting to loose hope.... any advice would be appreciated

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Aceofspades

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Personally, I would have applied to more than 5 schools.

4. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Wait in line just like we all did. Your application will be reviewed when it's your turn. You submitted months after I did and for some reason I haven't heard back from NYU. There's a post by doctoothache that states how many were accepted post-dec for each school.

5. TeamGuo

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    you should have applied to more schools and much earlier.

You are competitive but at this time, there's a lot of luck involved in getting more invites and acceptances.

Good luck

6. Isradoc1983

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    As I have said before I can't apply to more schools bc I have to stay in boston or the farthest NYC. My question was what can/ should I do to improve my chances either this year or ( hopefully not) next year. Is a DAT retake necessary? or did I apply really late? I have done lots of shadowing but don't know what to do more...

7. TeamGuo

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

yea you applied really late and took the DAT even later. I'm sure your chances of landing more interviews would have been much higher if you applied during the summer and got all the things ready for schools to review by end of the summer.

If there's no luck this cycle, you probably would be better off in retaking the DAT to increase your chances of admission. With a better RC score and maybe a point higher in few sections, that would get you those interviews.

8. ROSE1010

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't know if you want to stay on the west coast, but I recommend you to apply to USC because there are many students who withdraw since they already got admission from other schools, and last year I remember they interviewed people till May!

9. zazu537

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Don't lose hope! Honestly, you didn't apply THAT late... my school's health services committee was REALLY slow and didn't get my recommendations out until Oct 1st, so that's when my application was technically complete. I've been accepted and I was just notified in the past week about two interviews (NYU and Tufts actually). I know a professor at NYU and he said that they are really behind in the application process, so don't worry. I also know someone who was interviewing in Feb last year and he's currently a first year student at Maryland. Have confidence in your application and just try (I know it can be really hard) to be patient. Plus, people are going to start withdrawing so spots will open up. If you think about it, the average student applies to 15 schools, they can only go to one... it isn't impossible to get a seat after the dec 1st announcement. That's just the first round of acceptances.

10. Isradoc1983

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks, I am trying not to loose hope. I just really don't want to spend another year working, reapplying, and spending $$$....
    I really hope that Tufts will come back to me at some point or that BU will accept me

11. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It sucks but it is what it is

12. Isradoc1983

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    supraman, you and I are in similar situations... so you understand how I feel... I guess it is what it is... I guess I'll decide whether I should retake the DAT or not around march. Hope that by than I will know where I am standing.

13. Chesnok

Chesnok Waiting game has ended
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    First of all, just ace your interview at the BU, prepare for it well and make an impression to the adcoms so that they remember you and give you an offer. If they invited you, there are still seats and they are interested in you. So just ace the interview and, regardless of all odds, hope for the acceptance.
    Good luck and Happy Holidays.

14. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I may sound naive and arrogant when i ask this, but what do u mean by ace the interview? do schools give u a test? or something? Thanks

15. supraman

supraman Boston Celtics
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    dude lol come on now

16. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Im dead serious. I was reading a thread a while back about UCSF and how they give u a prompt and u have to construct a essay supporting an argument. Im curious as to whehter other schools do that.