Starting to lose hope...(What are my chances)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lux118

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I promised myself I wouldn't do this during the waiting of this application cycle. But, unfortunately, I'm giving in. I am starting to doubt that I will get accepted all this year, and I'm upset because I decided to do an informal post-bacc on my "gap year" because I thought my GPA was good enough and now I don't think it is at all. Plus my DAT scores are barely sub-par. If anyone could be realistic with me about chances that would be great.

PAT/QR/RC/Bio/GC/OC/TS/AA
17/15/21/20/17/19/19/18

sGPA = 3.34
BCP = 3.26
cGPA = 3.59
(I'm in the 13th batch)

I have about 300 hours of research experience (being a research assistant), over 100 hours of volunteering and community involvement, and 200 hours of being a tutor for a college-level introductory class for freshman students. I also have over 100 hours of shadowing general/cosmetic dentists as well as an Oral surgeon.

I applied to BU, Indiana University (I'm an in-state resident), University of Louisville, Meharry, University of Tennessee, Case Western, VCU, LECOM, University of Kentucky, OHSU, UPitt, Midwestern. I am a minority but I'm certain that I am not a URM, therefore, I regret applying to Meharry, but it's too late now to fix that :(

I'm thinking I may really not get in this year. What could I do to improve my application in this case. Thank you guys for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I promised myself I wouldn't do this during the waiting of this application cycle. But, unfortunately, I'm giving in. I am starting to doubt that I will get accepted all this year, and I'm upset because I decided to do an informal post-bacc on my "gap year" because I thought my GPA was good enough and now I don't think it is at all. Plus my DAT scores are barely sub-par. If anyone could be realistic with me about chances that would be great.

17/15/21/20/17/19/19/18

sGPA = 3.34
BCP = 3.26
cGPA = 3.59
(I'm in the 13th batch)

I have about 300 hours of research experience (being a research assistant), over 100 hours of volunteering and community involvement, and 200 hours of being a tutor for a college-level introductory class for freshman students. I also have over 100 hours of shadowing general/cosmetic dentists as well as an Oral surgeon.

I applied to BU, Indiana University (I'm an in-state resident), University of Louisville, Meharry, University of Tennessee, Case Western, VCU, LECOM, University of Kentucky, OHSU, UPitt, Midwestern. I am a minority but I'm certain that I am not a URM, therefore, I regret applying to Meharry, but it's too late now to fix that :(

I'm thinking I may really not get in this year. What could I do to improve my application in this case. Thank you guys for the help!

Your GPA is ok, just retake the DAT!

Your GPA is ok, just retake the DAT!

Well, ideally, I would retake the DAT if I don't get in this year. There really is no time to retake it right now though....

Members don't see this ad :)

17/15/21/20/17/19/19/18

sGPA = 3.34
BCP = 3.26
cGPA = 3.59
(I'm in the 13th batch)

Be patient for now (not like you have any choice though). If you need to re-apply, I would retake DAT and aim for 20s across, and most importantly APPLY EARLIER.

Be patient for now (not like you have any choice though). If you need to re-apply, I would retake DAT and aim for 20s across, and most importantly APPLY EARLIER.

Thank you for your advice. I plan on doing that if I do not get in this year. And I am trying tremendously hard to be patient and not give up hope, but it was just getting to be a lot recently as I am not hearing back about interviews/application complete on the aadsas website, so I just wanted a bit of reassurance that my chance of getting in this year is not completely unlikely.

I think most people would say that it's pretty late in this cycle to make any significant improvements.
You could take the DAT and maybe you'll get in at a school that might not be near your first choice. But if you retake it a little later and spend the effort and time to score well, you would have a very good chance next cycle if you apply early.

I think most people would say that it's pretty late in this cycle to make any significant improvements.
You could take the DAT and maybe you'll get in at a school that might not be near your first choice. But if you retake it a little later and spend the effort and time to score well, you would have a very good chance next cycle if you apply early.

Well, I wasn't really looking to make any improvements right in the middle of this cycle as it would be useless, since it is late into the cycle. I was just saying if I do not get in this cycle, what could I do to improve. In addition, I was just wondering what my chances were as of right now, not including any changes that could be made because, again, it would be quite pointless.

I think you'd be a very good applicant next year if you do the following:

Try to pretend as though you didn't apply this cycle and are only focusing on next cycle. Study for DATs in the next 2 months or so and take it early Jan or end of Dec.

Take 12 credits of sciences in the summer. Only bio types of classes e.g. physio, anatomy, genetics, biochem etc etc. You can take the DATs in May, but your chances of improvement is more likely if you concentrate for 2 months or so in the fall and study full time and take it and see what happens in Jan. If not, you can always retake it again in May/June.

Take another 6 credits in the summer but apply ASAP as first or second batch. Make sure you're ready to go at the beginning of June and not have to wait for any letters and such. I'd also be more selective and strategic about picking out your schools. Apply to 15 schools at least to be on the safer side.

I think you'd be a very good applicant next year if you do the following:

Try to pretend as though you didn't apply this cycle and are only focusing on next cycle. Study for DATs in the next 2 months or so and take it early Jan or end of Dec.

Take 12 credits of sciences in the summer. Only bio types of classes e.g. physio, anatomy, genetics, biochem etc etc. You can take the DATs in May, but your chances of improvement is more likely if you concentrate for 2 months or so in the fall and study full time and take it and see what happens in Jan. If not, you can always retake it again in May/June.

Take another 6 credits in the summer but apply ASAP as first or second batch. Make sure you're ready to go at the beginning of June and not have to wait for any letters and such. I'd also be more selective and strategic about picking out your schools. Apply to 15 schools at least to be on the safer side.

Thank you for the advice. It seems to me that most people who are replying think that I am not really a good applicant for this cycle. And I guess that's fine by me. I still won't completely give up because I KNOW that I have a chance, albeit however slim to maybe get in somewhere.

Also I'm sorry to some of the people on SDN, but I don't think that the people on SDN really represent the entire population of applicants. So even if I look like a poor applicant in this cycle to some of the SDNers on this board, I know that I am not that much of a poor applicant for this cycle. Although it may seem that way. Just my own thoughts, of course.

You need to relax, you'll get in! Your GPA is fine and you did above average on your DAT. You seem like an excellent writer so I have faith in your personal statement and ability to communicate. And sheesh your level of involvement with your extracurriculars is cray.

Start worrying in January, not now!!

You need to relax, you'll get in! Your GPA is fine and you did above average on your DAT. You seem like an excellent writer so I have faith in your personal statement and ability to communicate. And sheesh your level of involvement with your extracurriculars is cray.

Start worrying in January, not now!!

Thank you so much! You're the only person who replied on this thread who makes me actually believe in myself :)

Everyone else seems to think that I probably have quite a slim chance of getting in anywhere. Thank you for the encouragement, I do need that right now due to the lack of confidence I feel when I compare myself to others on this forum.

Not saying you should lose all hope at all, but if you put too much hopes up, you'll only feel more devastated if the worst case scenario happens.

If you're not looking for people to give you advice on reapplying, then you don't have to create a thread like this, ask for advice, only to shut people down when they tell you things you'd rather not hear. I'm just being completely honest here. It's realistic to not expect anything. You'll be more pleasantly surprised if you do get a few interviews.

SDN does represent a very small sub-population amongst the pre-dents across the country. Most people here are at the very least GOOD applicants, and some are simply extraordinary. If you compare yourself with such people, getting 90+%iles and high GPAs, you can set a higher standard for yourself. It only helps you in the long haul. There are also plenty of so-so applicants who've learned a great deal from members of this forum on how to improve their application and have succeeded.

Remember, the application process can be really tricky. You never know what you want. Just because you're a decent applicant doesn't mean they owe you an interview. And even an interview doesn't warrant an acceptance.

Take what you want from the forum, but please don't ask for opinions from people and tell them they're wrong, when I've seen nothing but honest opinions from good members here.

Thank you so much! You're the only person who replied on this thread who makes me actually believe in myself :)

Everyone else seems to think that I probably have quite a slim chance of getting in anywhere. Thank you for the encouragement, I do need that right now due to the lack of confidence I feel when I compare myself to others on this forum.

Man that's why this place sucks. Seriously, we see all this crap about average DAT scores and average GPAs for this school and that. The way I see it, for every applicant that gets accepted with a 22AA, there's also an accepted applicant with 18 AA. Maybe that's not quite how it works (I really have no idea) but whatever, the fact that you're even posting on SDN says a lot. Did you know that there are people applying who've never even heard of this website?

Members don't see this ad :)
Man that's why this place sucks. Seriously, we see all this crap about average DAT scores and average GPAs for this school and that. The way I see it, for every applicant that gets accepted with a 22AA, there's also an accepted applicant with 18 AA. Maybe that's not quite how it works (I really have no idea) but whatever, the fact that you're even posting on SDN says a lot. Did you know that there are people applying who've never even heard of this website?

Majority of the people in my pre dent program don't have a user name for this website. I am with you toasty bread!! OP remember those DAT scores and gpas are avg. so if you get 2 people with an 18AA and one guy with a 25 no the class avg is a 20.3. It's like the example of income for people who didn't go to college, 3 construction workers income is 40k a year. Now you factor in bill gates and the avg income for people who didn't go to college is 109202928302828019283910 dollars lol. Point being is you do have a shot but have the avg stats helps. Your not screwed! Keep me posted on how this cycle goes! Good luck buddy!:xf:

Majority of the people in my pre dent program don't have a user name for this website. I am with you toasty bread!! OP remember those DAT scores and gpas are avg. so if you get 2 people with an 18AA and one guy with a 25 no the class avg is a 20.3. It's like the example of income for people who didn't go to college, 3 construction workers income is 40k a year. Now you factor in bill gates and the avg income for people who didn't go to college is 109202928302828019283910 dollars lol. Point being is you do have a shot but have the avg stats helps. Your not screwed! Keep me posted on how this cycle goes! Good luck buddy!:xf:

second that! Good luck! :xf::xf: :luck::luck:

MEE!! untill a few months ago.. lol and i've been a predent for how long?!?!?!? lol

17/15/21/20/17/19/19/18

sGPA = 3.34
BCP = 3.26
cGPA = 3.59
(I'm in the 13th batch)

With the exception of Meharry, you are a below average applicant with regard to your DAT and science GPA to the schools you applied to. Those schools have somewhere between a 19-20 AA average (Tenn. has 18, but your GPA is below their average). This puts you at a great disadvantage, since there are many many applicants who have just average DAT scores which would be higher than yours.

It's certainly possible you'll receive an invite given that you applied to many schools. But I'd begin preparing for the worst just in case - start studying for the DAT! Really, even if you improved just 1 point it would be tremendous. If nothing happens this year, applying next year with a point or two improvement on the DAT would greatly, greatly increase your chances. Just consider how many people per seat apply and you'll understand how important it is not to be below average.

Not saying you should lose all hope at all, but if you put too much hopes up, you'll only feel more devastated if the worst case scenario happens.

If you're not looking for people to give you advice on reapplying, then you don't have to create a thread like this, ask for advice, only to shut people down when they tell you things you'd rather not hear. I'm just being completely honest here. It's realistic to not expect anything. You'll be more pleasantly surprised if you do get a few interviews.

SDN does represent a very small sub-population amongst the pre-dents across the country. Most people here are at the very least GOOD applicants, and some are simply extraordinary. If you compare yourself with such people, getting 90+%iles and high GPAs, you can set a higher standard for yourself. It only helps you in the long haul. There are also plenty of so-so applicants who've learned a great deal from members of this forum on how to improve their application and have succeeded.

Remember, the application process can be really tricky. You never know what you want. Just because you're a decent applicant doesn't mean they owe you an interview. And even an interview doesn't warrant an acceptance.

Take what you want from the forum, but please don't ask for opinions from people and tell them they're wrong, when I've seen nothing but honest opinions from good members here.

I don't understand why you think that I was shutting people down who were giving me advice about applying next cycle instead. Obviously, when you feel down about something, you obviously will gravitate towards somebody encouraging you, more than somebody who says you're chances are minimal. Does that mean one opinion is more valued than another's? No. It just means it gives me a little bit more hope than the very little I had when I made this thread. But when did I ever say that I didn't appreciate people's input, regardless of what advice they are giving? In fact, anybody who replied with advice about applying next cycle would be better for me, I thanked them. And I do appreciate anyone who has given me advice.

Because somebody encouraged me more for this cycle than anybody else did, I am not allowed to thank them for renewing my faith in my application for this cycle without appearing to "shut other people's advice down". Doesn't make much sense to me how you came to that conclusion. Anyways, to each his or her own opinion I guess.

Last edited:

haha thank you! I think, besides the one or two people who like to throw shade for no apparent reason, overall, I really do enjoy this website and the people on it for the most part. Because I do get great advice from some applicants going through the same thing as me or who have gone through the same thing. And that advice is really immeasurable because it allows me to be more motivated :)

Just sometimes when being negative about myself, I allow others scores and GPAs on here to affect how good or not good my chances are. So I can see why you would think that this place sucks hahaha. But in the end, it does make me feel the need to soar much higher than I would've ever before. Anyways, good luck to you as well, if you're applying this cycle. May the odds be in our favor :)

Last edited:
With the exception of Meharry, you are a below average applicant with regard to your DAT and science GPA to the schools you applied to. Those schools have somewhere between a 19-20 AA average (Tenn. has 18, but your GPA is below their average). This puts you at a great disadvantage, since there are many many applicants who have just average DAT scores which would be higher than yours.

It's certainly possible you'll receive an invite given that you applied to many schools. But I'd begin preparing for the worst just in case - start studying for the DAT! Really, even if you improved just 1 point it would be tremendous. If nothing happens this year, applying next year with a point or two improvement on the DAT would greatly, greatly increase your chances. Just consider how many people per seat apply and you'll understand how important it is not to be below average.

Thank you for your advice. I do understand that this could very well be the case. That's why I am planning for the worst, but I guess I'll continue supplementary applications, and if I don't hear back it won't faze me because I know what I want to do and I do have hope if I don't get it this year, I will in the future.

second that! Good luck! :xf::xf: :luck::luck:

Thank you so much! And good luck to you as well :)

Yes, exactly. I do realize that there are people with my stats who get in, but unfortunately, the fact that I applied a little bit later could very well hurt my chances. Still hoping for the best, but ready for the worst. And I will keep you updated! Thank you and good luck to you :thumbup:

Thank you so much! And good luck to you as well :)

Yes, exactly. I do realize that there are people with my stats who get in, but unfortunately, the fact that I applied a little bit later could very well hurt my chances. Still hoping for the best, but ready for the worst. And I will keep you updated! Thank you and good luck to you :thumbup:

Yeah I have heard bad things about applying late. On the other hand, this whole process is such a game! It's like going to a casino, high stats= more money to play with compared to lower stats=less money to play with. Both ways you can hit the jackpot and but ways you can become broke lol. Please please please keep me posted. I will be applying next cycle with a 18/19/23 and ~ 3.38 overall and 3.45 sci:xf:

Yeah I have heard bad things about applying late. On the other hand, this whole process is such a game! It's like going to a casino, high stats= more money to play with compared to lower stats=less money to play with. Both ways you can hit the jackpot and but ways you can become broke lol. Please please please keep me posted. I will be applying next cycle with a 18/19/23 and ~ 3.38 overall and 3.45 sci:xf:

I would say more money=more money to play (you can afford to apply to more schools and go to more interviews). It gives you more chances to win (an acceptance).

High stats=starting with an ace or face card in blackjack. It gives you more favorable odds to win.

Stick with it. compile everyone's advice and make your own decision that will make your application more competitive as an applicant. If you are willing to do w/e it takes to be a dentist in the end, you will get there. It's about patience and persistence. That's what DS wants to see. Build up that application/dental experience, if you can display it in all aspects of your application, they may be weighed more than your average academic stats (DAT/GPA). If not this cycle, than the next. Think of this year off as a time to beef up any weaknesses in your application. Because once those interviews start coming in, they will ask you good questions such as "what is your biggest weakness" or "what part of your application do you feel is the weakest". etc.

Basically, you did all you can this cycle. Wait and reanalyze the process/results and prepare accordingly for next year. GOOD LUCK. And I am sure all of us will eventually be in the profession in the future.

Stick with it. compile everyone's advice and make your own decision that will make your application more competitive as an applicant. If you are willing to do w/e it takes to be a dentist in the end, you will get there. It's about patience and persistence. That's what DS wants to see. Build up that application/dental experience, if you can display it in all aspects of your application, they may be weighed more than your average academic stats (DAT/GPA). If not this cycle, than the next. Think of this year off as a time to beef up any weaknesses in your application. Because once those interviews start coming in, they will ask you good questions such as "what is your biggest weakness" or "what part of your application do you feel is the weakest". etc.

Basically, you did all you can this cycle. Wait and reanalyze the process/results and prepare accordingly for next year. GOOD LUCK. And I am sure all of us will eventually be in the profession in the future.

Thank you for your advice. I plan on doing exactly what you said. I agree that it's better not to expect anything this cycle. Actually, I think any average applicant like myself should think that way because you don't want to ever get your hopes up. I still have hope, but not so much that I will be shattered if it doesn't happen. Good luck to us all, our hard work will no doubt be payed off eventually :luck: