Starting to panic... Anyone else in a similar situation?

Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I try to offer advice & encouragement on here, but of course when it comes to my own predicament, I'm terrible at following my own advice. Here's my rant...I was complete the last week of Oct at most schools (*except 2 schools I applied to more recently).
By no means do I think I'm special or entitled, but I applied to 12 schools and have 0 ii :( so I'm just genuinely concerned something's up.

---3.66/3.54 cGPA/sGPA. Other than a crappy 1st year, my yearly cGPA was 3.70-3.90 & sGPA 3.55-3.80
---MCAT 26 (10/08/08)
---Research/honors thesis, national & local presentations, research awards, publication...1-yr hospital volunteering, paid clinical experience, 120+ hours of shadowing DO/MD...4-yrs leadership w/ lots of community service...1-yr tutoring bio at university, 1 semester volunteer tutoring young kids...Received distinguished awards from 2 diff academic depts. at university, each of which are given to only 1 student/yr
---Great letters...1 from thesis/research mentor (prof/chair of dept.); 1 DO (teaches at DO school; chair of dept. at hospital); 1 MD (teaches at MD school and also has a co-chair position at hospital); and 2 profs who know me well
---Zero red flags (that I'm aware of). I've never even gotten a speeding ticket let alone any type of misdemeanor, IA or anything of that nature

The only thing I can come up with is my 4 W's b/c I was an idiot and had no idea they looked bad, not b/c I was doing poorly - I dropped all 4 of those classes in the 2nd or 3rd weeks before we even had HW or grades. All 4 were non-sci classes.

So, any thoughts? Could it be the W's; is it too soon for me to panic; does it sound like I should be concerned about something on my app; etc.?
Also, has anyone else who was complete at the end of October received any ii yet?

If I had so much as just 1 ii, I'd be incredibly happy and relieved. I know I applied later than I should have and I regret it, but considering utter silence and 1 pre-interview hold out of 12 DO schools, I can't help but fear that something on my app is holding me back.

stlrams22

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I try to offer advice & encouragement on here, but of course when it comes to my own predicament, I'm terrible at following my own advice. Here's my rant...I was complete the last week of Oct at most schools (*except 2 schools I applied to more recently).
By no means do I think I'm special or entitled, but I applied to 12 schools and have 0 ii :( so I'm just genuinely concerned something's up.

---3.66/3.54 cGPA/sGPA. Other than a crappy 1st year, my yearly cGPA was 3.70-3.90 & sGPA 3.55-3.80
---MCAT 26 (10/08/08)
---Research/honors thesis, national & local presentations, research awards, publication...1-yr hospital volunteering, paid clinical experience, 120+ hours of shadowing DO/MD...4-yrs leadership w/ lots of community service...1-yr tutoring bio at university, 1 semester volunteer tutoring young kids...Received distinguished awards from 2 diff academic depts. at university, each of which are given to only 1 student/yr
---Great letters...1 from thesis/research mentor (prof/chair of dept.); 1 DO (teaches at DO school; chair of dept. at hospital); 1 MD (teaches at MD school and also has a co-chair position at hospital); and 2 profs who know me well
---Zero red flags (that I'm aware of). I've never even gotten a speeding ticket let alone any type of misdemeanor, IA or anything of that nature

The only thing I can come up with is my 4 W's b/c I was an idiot and had no idea they looked bad, not b/c I was doing poorly - I dropped all 4 of those classes in the 2nd or 3rd weeks before we even had HW or grades. All 4 were non-sci classes.

So, any thoughts? Could it be the W's; is it too soon for me to panic; does it sound like I should be concerned about something on my app; etc.?
Also, has anyone else who was complete at the end of October received any ii yet?

If I had so much as just 1 ii, I'd be incredibly happy and relieved. I know I applied later than I should have and I regret it, but considering utter silence and 1 pre-interview hold out of 12 DO schools, I can't help but fear that something on my app is holding me back.
I'm not sure what is going on. I know people with lower stats normally get interviews and often accepted somewhere. My stats are better than yours, but I lack all of the other stuff except LORs. Calling a few schools to find out why couldn't hurt.

Jun 8, 2013
Status
I would ask your prehealth committee if they can tell you how your letters are or if they think you could improve somewhere. After being rejected from a school, then I think it is appropriate to call and ask if you can meet with someone to discuss your application.

Does your school not have a drop deadline so you don't get W's? That's weird.

Lunzio

5+ Year Member
May 14, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's still relatively early in the cycle, but I'd definitely call up a few schools and see if they can give you any more info.

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm not sure what is going on. I know people with lower stats normally get interviews and often accepted somewhere. My stats are better than yours, but I lack all of the other stuff except LORs. Calling a few schools to find out why couldn't hurt.
Ughh yeah.... I know everyone's process is different so it's impossible to know exactly what the heck is going on with mine. It helps to hear experiences of others. I called each school last week to ask about my status. That's how I found out I'm on pre-interview hold at AZCOM and still "in review" everywhere else.

Honestly, even if I had just 1 ii right now, I wouldn't have felt the need to post this thread b/c I'd be content with a single invite. But the complete silence everywhere makes me question whether it's me and there's something on my app I'm unaware of that is blacklisting me at every school, or if they just haven't gotten to my file yet. Once, or if, I hear good news from even just 1 school, I can finally put my non-stop, overly analytic thoughts to rest.

I'm so anxious that I called Secretary of State to do a background check just to make sure nothing showed up by mistake on my record, since that actually happened to one of my best friends (somehow completely by mistake, there was a DUI on her record, which she obviously never received or knew about until she was asked about it at her job interview - kind of crazy).

So anyways idk, I guess I have to try being more patient although I feel more and more discouraged each day. Maybe the coming weeks will bring some good news straight to my email inbox (Merry Christmas to me, please!?)

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I would ask your prehealth committee if they can tell you how your letters are or if they think you could improve somewhere. After being rejected from a school, then I think it is appropriate to call and ask if you can meet with someone to discuss your application.

Does your school not have a drop deadline so you don't get W's? That's weird.

Ugh unfortunately my school recently stopped doing committee letters. I have no idea why since we have a fairly large amount of med school/dental school applicants and a large enrollment in the biology program. So I had to ask for letters from each person individually. I know 100% that they were good letters because I met with each one of them in person to talk about the letter.

At my school, any course dropped after the very first week of the semester is considered a W. I just assumed that's how it works at other universities, but I guess not? For example, I just looked up our academic calendar from last year. Our spring 2013 semester started on January 7, and beginning on January 15, any courses dropped were recorded as W on transcripts. The last day to withdraw was March 18. Regardless of dropping a class on January 15 or March 18, it's a W on your record at my school.

stlrams22

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Ughh yeah.... I know everyone's process is different so it's impossible to know exactly what the heck is going on with mine. It helps to hear experiences of others. I called each school last week to ask about my status. That's how I found out I'm on pre-interview hold at AZCOM and still "in review" everywhere else.

Honestly, even if I had just 1 ii right now, I wouldn't have felt the need to post this thread b/c I'd be content with a single invite. But the complete silence everywhere makes me question whether it's me and there's something on my app I'm unaware of that is blacklisting me at every school, or if they just haven't gotten to my file yet. Once, or if, I hear good news from even just 1 school, I can finally put my non-stop, overly analytic thoughts to rest.

I'm so anxious that I called Secretary of State to do a background check just to make sure nothing showed up by mistake on my record, since that actually happened to one of my best friends (somehow completely by mistake, there was a DUI on her record, which she obviously never received or knew about until she was asked about it at her job interview - kind of crazy).

So anyways idk, I guess I have to try being more patient although I feel more and more discouraged each day. Maybe the coming weeks will bring some good news straight to my email inbox (Merry Christmas to me, please!?)
Hang in there, you'll get an interview soon. I had a few interviews I cancelled for January not to long ago and I will be turning down four acceptances in the near future. Things will open up :)

ToKingdomCome

5+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2012
Status

---MCAT 26 (10/08/08)

OP where did you apply? Late October is somewhat lateish but it shouldn't hold you back too much.

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hang in there, you'll get an interview soon. I had a few interviews I cancelled for January not to long ago and I will be turning down four acceptances in the near future. Things will open up :)
Thank you for your input! I really hope you're right, because the day I get an interview invite will be one of the best days of my life after how much time I've spent worrying! I have to keep reminding myself that things will open up once deadlines force people to commit to one school and withdraw their other acceptances.

By the way, congrats on your success this cycle!!! :) You've gotta be on cloud 9 right now with that many acceptances!

Reactions: stlrams22

DE15C

Accepted Class of 2018!!!
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Relax.
Late October means it's only been about 6 weeks. It's a little late in the cycle, not too late to get in, but a very busy time for schools. They are reviewing applications, setting up interviews, conducting interviews, reviewing those candidates, and setting up admissions for people who turned in apps long before you.
Be patient, your stats are competitive and you will probably get some ii's before long.
The December 15 deposit deadline is coming and there will likely be a fair amount of movement after that. You are fine to call schools and politely inquire about your status, just don't go overboard.

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
OP where did you apply? Late October is somewhat lateish but it shouldn't hold you back too much.
Yeah, I'm so mad at myself. I was really stupid and requested my transcripts the same day I submitted my aacomas. My transcript delivery/processing delayed my verification by nearly a month, not even exaggerating. Here's where I applied:

MSUCOM (in-state)
Midwestern Chicago
Midwestern Arizona
LECOM-Erie
LECOM-Bradenton
Nova
Pikeville KYCOM
Lincoln Memorial
NYCOM
Des Moines
Touro NY
PCOM

I know it's probably way too late to add schools at this point, but I really wish I would've added ATSU-SOMA, KCUMB, PNWU-COM, Touro-CA, and Western COMP because I'd love to live out West if I had to move oos.

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Relax.
Late October means it's only been about 6 weeks. It's a little late in the cycle, not too late to get in, but a very busy time for schools. They are reviewing applications, setting up interviews, conducting interviews, reviewing those candidates, and setting up admissions for people who turned in apps long before you.
Be patient, your stats are competitive and you will probably get some ii's before long.
The December 15 deposit deadline is coming and there will likely be a fair amount of movement after that. You are fine to call schools and politely inquire about your status, just don't go overboard.
Trust me, I'm trying SO hard to relax, but I guess I'm just not doing a very good job of it, am I? lol
Honestly, thank you so much for taking the time to put things into perspective; it's incredibly reassuring.
I also didn't realize December 15 is the deposit deadline, so that's definitely very good to know as well!

jayoh

turning mountains into molehills
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I think you're fine. We all feel the application cycle neuroticism, it can be brutal at times.

Aug 27, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I don't think it would be a bad idea to add a couple schools, especially the newer ones. I suggest adding Campbell, ACOM, VCOM, and Marian. However, I wouldn't worry too much about not getting an interview yet since it's only been 6 weeks; considering that you have slightly better stats than me and I've already gotten 3 interviews (1 of which is my #1)...

What helped me keep my mind off the process is having my mind occupied with new hobbies. I suggest yoga but that's just me :)

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress! I'm sure you'll starting hearing from schools soon.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2007
Narnia
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I'm so mad at myself. I was really stupid and requested my transcripts the same day I submitted my aacomas. My transcript delivery/processing delayed my verification by nearly a month, not even exaggerating. Here's where I applied:

MSUCOM (in-state)
Midwestern Chicago
Midwestern Arizona
LECOM-Erie
LECOM-Bradenton
Nova
Pikeville KYCOM
Lincoln Memorial
NYCOM
Des Moines
Touro NY
PCOM

I know it's probably way too late to add schools at this point, but I really wish I would've added ATSU-SOMA, KCUMB, PNWU-COM, Touro-CA, and Western COMP because I'd love to live out West if I had to move oos.
It's not too late. You can definitely add a few schools. The ones you are thinking about are pretty good getting back to you (not sure about Touro and PNWU). If you fit their mission statement I highly suggest you apply to them.

A LOT of people with <30 MCAT got pre-interview holds from the MWU campuses. Nova still hasn't replied to me (complete 3 months), LMU hasn't replied to me (Complete ~2 months), DMU took close to 60 days.

I got 6 iis in total but I applied VERY broadly (close to 18 schools) so I kinda know which schools reply faster.

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I think you're fine. We all feel the application cycle neuroticism, it can be brutal at times.
No kidding!! I was doing fairly well until December all the sudden came out of nowhere and then I realized I'm still sitting on zero ii. Since that realization, it's been pretty brutal haha

BenzylAcetate

Just Peachy
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2011
Status
Medical Student
With thanksgiving I would imagine that not a lot of clerical work gets done for the last two weeks of November. If you were complete late October then there have probably only been 3 "real" weeks of solid application review. Still a fair amount of time left in the season, no reason to freak out just yet.

jayoh

turning mountains into molehills
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2011
Status
Medical Student
No kidding!! I was doing fairly well until December all the sudden came out of nowhere and then I realized I'm still sitting on zero ii. Since that realization, it's been pretty brutal haha
Yeah but try to keep in mind that you only applied ~5 weeks ago. Getting an II within 3 weeks of being complete would be a very quick turnaround, so 5 weeks is still pretty normal I think. Plus there was a holiday week in there.

Elevencents

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2011
Status
It's not too late. You can definitely add a few schools. The ones you are thinking about are pretty good getting back to you (not sure about Touro and PNWU). If you fit their mission statement I highly suggest you apply to them.

A LOT of people with <30 MCAT got pre-interview holds from the MWU campuses. Nova still hasn't replied to me (complete 3 months), LMU hasn't replied to me (Complete ~2 months), DMU took close to 60 days.

I got 6 iis in total but I applied VERY broadly (close to 18 schools) so I kinda know which schools reply faster.
I agree. I'd add a few of the newer schools. You applied fairly top heavy and later in the game. Things have certainly slowed down though as the cycle grows later and the holidays aren't gonna help any.

But 6 weeks isn't long enough to panic just yet.

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think it would be a bad idea to add a couple schools, especially the newer ones. I suggest adding Campbell, ACOM, VCOM, and Marian. However, I wouldn't worry too much about not getting an interview yet since it's only been 6 weeks; considering that you have slightly better stats than me and I've already gotten 3 interviews (1 of which is my #1)...

What helped me keep my mind off the process is having my mind occupied with new hobbies. I suggest yoga but that's just me :)

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress! I'm sure you'll starting hearing from schools soon.
I've actually looked into some of the newer schools too but just assumed it was too late to add any. But based on what I'm reading, it sounds like it might be worth it. I'm going to add a like 4-5 more schools tonight, and hopefully aacomas will release them tomorrow since they do each Thursday.

You're right though, I definitely need a hobby! Golf and tennis are my major outlets for stress, which unfortunately doesn't do much good for me during the winter since I live in MI! lol

Whenever the time comes that I get an ii, it's likely I'll be bumping this thread to update you all. Sorry in advance guys, but I already know I won't be able to contain my excitement.

Wow, that's awesome to hear! As a result of the input I've received, I'm going to pick a couple of those schools and a couple newer schools to add tonight.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the schools you've applied to. 3 months of silence from Nova, and 2 months of waiting on LMU and DMU?! Sounds like we both did a good job of applying to schools with the slowest turnaround times. But 6 ii is awesome nontheless!

Aug 14, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey OP, your gpa isn't so bad, but your MCAT is below average for almost all of the schools you listed.

Things you need to do:

1. Apply to more newer schools with lower averages since your list is very top heavy and mcat averages for those schools are ranging from like 27-29 and maybe 30.

2. Look at the file I uploaded and make sure the schools you listed have a decent number of matriculants from Michigan. Almost all of the schools I got ii from had a pretty good record of taking students from my state. Sometimes the schools say it doesn't matter, but you never know.

3. Don't lose hope since it's not that late and you might get ii later on, even with your top heavy list. It took me a while before the ii's started rolling in too.

Attachments

user3

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I think you have a pretty good shot at MSUCOM. But I would add a few of the newer schools just to be safe, like MUCOM, CUSOM, and ACOM.

There are people with much lower stats than you on here who have plenty of interviews.

Examples: 3.18/3.22/27-- THIRTEEN interviews
3.68/3.64/25-- 9 interviews
3.3/3.15/28-- 6 interviews
3.67/3.36/23-- 5 interviews

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey op, I'm kinda freaking out too.....I check my email every hour and have my phone with me at all times. :wideyed:

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
With thanksgiving I would imagine that not a lot of clerical work gets done for the last two weeks of November. If you were complete late October then there have probably only been 3 "real" weeks of solid application review. Still a fair amount of time left in the season, no reason to freak out just yet.
Yeah but try to keep in mind that you only applied ~5 weeks ago. Getting an II within 3 weeks of being complete would be a very quick turnaround, so 5 weeks is still pretty normal I think. Plus there was a holiday week in there.
I agree. I'd add a few of the newer schools. You applied fairly top heavy and later in the game. Things have certainly slowed down though as the cycle grows later and the holidays aren't gonna help any.

But 6 weeks isn't long enough to panic just yet.
I cannot even thank all of you enough for the helpful feedback. I feel much more at ease knowing that I'm probably just getting way ahead of myself and shouldn't panic just yet. I realize it's a hectic time at schools, so I'm preparing myself to let go of the idea and hope of receiving any ii before New Year's. So hopefully 2014 will be my year!

As we speak, I'm adding Campbell and Marian. I'm also trying to pick out 2-3 schools on the West side, leaning towards ATSU-SOMA, Western-COMP, and PNWU-COM.

chizledfrmstone

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2007
Narnia
Status
Medical Student
I could be wrong but PNWU-COM has regional bias.

The schools are really putting a BIG emphasis on "fit". Every school mentioned it during the interview day. It's very important you apply to schools that match your personal style of learning and the type of professional you want to become.

1 school gave me an II in 2 weeks. I really think it had something to do with a situation I mentioned in my PS because it matches their teaching philosophy.

3 of the schools I interviewed at mentioned at least 1 specific thing they really liked about my PS or secondary. I know schools try to get interviewers who sort of relate to the applicant so it might have just been an normal thing.

Let me know if you want me to look at your PS and suggest which schools might be a good fit.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Admission to med school is somewhat a mystery to me... I called one school last week to check on the status of my application and the admission director told me: 'We have not sent you an ii because we are concerned about your VR score'...I know someone who got an ii at that school with lower VR score and lower overall MCAT score than me, and they are concerned about my VR score.... Seriously!

Reactions: moto_za
OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey OP, your gpa isn't so bad, but your MCAT is below average for almost all of the schools you listed.

Things you need to do:

1. Apply to more newer schools with lower averages since your list is very top heavy and mcat averages for those schools are ranging from like 27-29 and maybe 30.

2. Look at the file I uploaded and make sure the schools you listed have a decent number of matriculants from Michigan. Almost all of the schools I got ii from had a pretty good record of taking students from my state. Sometimes the schools say it doesn't matter, but you never know.

3. Don't lose hope since it's not that late and you might get ii later on, even with your top heavy list. It took me a while before the ii's started rolling in too.
Thanks so much for that pdf! That is extremely useful and I never knew that data existed. Based on that file, CA isn't looking too promising for MI applicants. Maybe I should scratch those schools off on my list and not add them then.

I know my 26 is borderline and 1-3ish points below the ave at many schools I applied to. I was sort of hoping my gpa and ECs would somewhat compensate and at least give me a shot at some schools since my score isn't totally off the map. Maybe way too much wishful thinking on my part :/ Guess I'll find out soon!

I think you have a pretty good shot at MSUCOM. But I would add a few of the newer schools just to be safe, like MUCOM, CUSOM, and ACOM.

There are people with much lower stats than you on here who have plenty of interviews.

Examples: 3.18/3.22/27-- THIRTEEN interviews
3.68/3.64/25-- 9 interviews
3.3/3.15/28-- 6 interviews
3.67/3.36/23-- 5 interviews
That would be amazing if I got into msucom since they have 2 satellite campuses close to my house! But they're aggressive with rolling admissions so I'm trying to keep a realistic outlook based on how late I applied there (they recommend being complete by Sep. 1).

13 interviews?! That's gotta be a record or something. I've never heard of someone getting that many! Thanks for posting those examples!

Hey op, I'm kinda freaking out too.....I check my email every hour and have my phone with me at all times. :wideyed:
I feel your pain so just take comfort in knowing that you're not alone! I check my email like it's a full-time job... I couldn't even tell you how many stores/websites I've unsubscribed from due to the sheer annoyance I felt on daily basis after getting all excited about a new email in my inbox, only to see it was from Express (leave me alone, already) notifying me of another sale, J. Crew 30% off promo codes (thanks, but your clothes are still way over-priced even w/ the 30 off), or Trinity SOM never failing to make me feel even worse by insisting the Caribbean is where I belong, and the list continues.
Try to hang in there though!

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I could be wrong but PNWU-COM has regional bias.

The schools are really putting a BIG emphasis on "fit". Every school mentioned it during the interview day. It's very important you apply to schools that match your personal style of learning and the type of professional you want to become.

1 school gave me an II in 2 weeks. I really think it had something to do with a situation I mentioned in my PS because it matches their teaching philosophy.

3 of the schools I interviewed at mentioned at least 1 specific thing they really liked about my PS or secondary. I know schools try to get interviewers who sort of relate to the applicant so it might have just been an normal thing.

Let me know if you want me to look at your PS and suggest which schools might be a good fit.
Seriously, that would be amazing! I see you're a medical student so I'm sure you must be pretty strapped for time, and I would certainly understand if you don't get around to it. If it's alright, I'm going to PM you. I really appreciate your offer to help me out with selecting additional schools.

Admission to med school is somewhat a mystery to me... I called one school last week to check on the status of my application and the admission director told me: 'We have not sent you an ii because we are concerned about your VR score'...I know someone who got an ii at that school with lower VR score and lower overall MCAT score than me, and they are concerned about my VR score.... Seriously!
Yeah, that does sound pretty odd. On one hand, I've gotta give them credit for being transparent and up front with you about their concern, but it's kind of odd they'd say one thing to you that doesn't necessarily apply to others they've granted interviews to.
It's safe to say med school admissions is and will always remain a mystery to every pre-med. We all know we'll never figure it out, but that doesn't stop us from trying.
Good luck though, and I hope things work out well for you this cycle!

chizledfrmstone

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2007
Narnia
Status
Medical Student
Seriously, that would be amazing! I see you're a medical student so I'm sure you must be pretty strapped for time, and I would certainly understand if you don't get around to it. If it's alright, I'm going to PM you. I really appreciate your offer to help me out with selecting additional schools.
I just want to clarify, I have just been accepted. I'm not a medical student right now.

I was a bit eager to get that status changed.

I'm more than happy to share the knowledge I've gained so far this cycle.

I feel your pain so just take comfort in knowing that you're not alone! I check my email like it's a full-time job... I couldn't even tell you how many stores/websites I've unsubscribed from due to the sheer annoyance I felt on daily basis after getting all excited about a new email in my inbox, only to see it was from Express (leave me alone, already) notifying me of another sale, J. Crew 30% off promo codes (thanks, but your clothes are still way over-priced even w/ the 30 off), or Trinity SOM never failing to make me feel even worse by insisting the Caribbean is where I belong, and the list continues.
Try to hang in there though!
I made a separate email just for this year's application cycle so I wouldn't get any false notifications.

VisualEvolution

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I'm in a sort of similar situation. My stats are a little better than yours, complete at the same time, and applied to almost the same schools. I have gotten only one ii from MUCOM, although I did hear back from MSUCOM. I think the allopathic schools do a better job at getting back to applicants. I was complete later and I've heard back from 2 MD schools already. I'm confident you'll get into MSUCOM, just wait for that Dec 15 due date for deposits.

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I just want to clarify, I have just been accepted. I'm not a medical student right now.

I was a bit eager to get that status changed.

I'm more than happy to share the knowledge I've gained so far this cycle.

I made a separate email just for this year's application cycle so I wouldn't get any false notifications.
^That was a wise idea! Thanks so much again; I'm going to PM you after work today!

I'm in a sort of similar situation. My stats are a little better than yours, complete at the same time, and applied to almost the same schools. I have gotten only one ii from MUCOM, although I did hear back from MSUCOM. I think the allopathic schools do a better job at getting back to applicants. I was complete later and I've heard back from 2 MD schools already. I'm confident you'll get into MSUCOM, just wait for that Dec 15 due date for deposits.
Thanks for posting. I definitely would've thought it'd be the opposite way around - DO schools quicker; MD schools slower, so that's very interesting! That's good that you've at least received feedback from some MD schools though. I'm going to safely assume you were accepted to MSUCOM since I don't think they reject applicants this early on, so congratulations on that! I so hope I'll be joining you there, because ideally, I want to stay in-state!

touchpause13

nolite te bastardes carborundorum
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
I would add more schools to be safe. Your stats are fine, but you did apply a bit on the late side. I would add ACOM, CUSOM, MUCOM, PCOM-ga, TOURO NV, ATSU SOMA

stlrams22

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
What was the VR score?

Aug 14, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks so much for that pdf! That is extremely useful and I never knew that data existed. Based on that file, CA isn't looking too promising for MI applicants. Maybe I should scratch those schools off on my list and not add them then.
If that's the case, then I would replace those schools with some newer ones. You may not even end up going to a newer school in the end, but being careful doesn't hurt. I'm sure you should hear back from at least one of the schools you listed soon. Good luck.

I remember you mentioned you were waitlisted in the Western thread. I hope you got off? Either way, congrats!

darklabel

PGWhy
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
^That was a wise idea! Thanks so much again; I'm going to PM you after work today!

Thanks for posting. I definitely would've thought it'd be the opposite way around - DO schools quicker; MD schools slower, so that's very interesting! That's good that you've at least received feedback from some MD schools though. I'm going to safely assume you were accepted to MSUCOM since I don't think they reject applicants this early on, so congratulations on that! I so hope I'll be joining you there, because ideally, I want to stay in-state!
I know its confusing, but when people say that DO cycles are longer than MD, they mean that the time period to turn in your app is longer than for MD schools. Responses vary for schools, but for the DO cycle, you can turn in an application in November with median stats and be ok while for MD an application in November is pretty much dead in the water (especially if you have median or lower stats). However, some MD schools can take a long time to invite you for an interview while some DO schools have a quick turn around and vice versa.

For me it was confusing when people said DO cycles are longer than MD but I think thats what they usually mean.

Also, I would wait until February before freaking out. Your stats aren't horrible, but make sure to send in letters of intent and frequent updates (like once a month).

Good luck :)

Beandog

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical

I don't know how I would have made it through thanksgiving had I not been accepted on the 14th. OP, don't freak out. People with better stats than you sometimes don't get in, and those with worse sometimes do. I'm just a 2014 entering classman, recently accepted, but I know the worry and waiting. I've gotten about 12 2nd's from the 16 schools I applied to, and so far attended the 1 interview and 1 acceptance. The 2nds seemed to only yield more frustration and wait, all while draining my checkbook.

Breath in and out and enjoy what you can, and believe you'll get there. I'm now on the side of the fortunante accepted, but I was doing the same neuroitc behavior only 2 weeks ago.

Best of luck

Last edited:
Reactions: InGen

user3

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I don't know how I would have made it through thanksgiving had I not been accepted on the 14th. OP, don't freak out. People with better stats than you sometimes don't get in, and those with worse sometimes do. I'm just a 2014 entering classman, recently accepted, but I know the worry and waiting. I've gotten about 12 ii's from the 16 schools I applied to, and so far attended the 1 interview and 1 acceptance. The 2nds seemed to only yield more frustration and wait, all while draining my checkbook.

Breath in and out and enjoy what you can, and believe you'll get there. I'm now on the side of the fortunante accepted, but I was doing the same neuroitc behavior only 2 weeks ago.

Best of luck
I think I remember you posted you got into ACOM. Did you really get 12 (twelve?) interviews with 3.36/3.0/25? You must be a URM, or have something mind-blowing in your file.

stlrams22

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I think I remember you posted you got into ACOM. Did you really get 12 (twelve?) interviews with 3.36/3.0/25? You must be a URM, or have something mind-blowing in your file.
must be something unique

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I just wanted to thank all of you again for replying. I'm taking each and every piece of advice to heart on this thread, and I feel as though a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders due to everyone putting my situation into a logical perspective and providing helpful advice and encouragement. Seriously dk what I'd do without sdn but I'm pretty sure my anxiety level would be tenfold without you guys!

Beandog

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
my
That is 12 secondaries. I did not receive that many interviews, haha, not at all. Like I posted, 1 interview I have attended so far. More, but not 11 more, coming.

dedicated2be

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey DrOneDay, I think you are from the AZCOM thread? Just wanted to know if you ever got "official" notification of your pre-interview hold? I never got a letter/email nor did my status change online...

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey DrOneDay, I think you are from the AZCOM thread? Just wanted to know if you ever got "official" notification of your pre-interview hold? I never got a letter/email nor did my status change online...
I have yet to receive any sort of official notification or status update. No letter, email, or portal change. I'm just glad I called admissions to ask about my status, otherwise, I'd still be sitting here totally clueless about the hold.

VisualEvolution

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I have yet to receive any sort of official notification or status update. No letter, email, or portal change. I'm just glad I called admissions to ask about my status, otherwise, I'd still be sitting here totally clueless about the hold.
I personally know a few people withdrawing their MSUCOM acceptance, myself included. I really hope you get some luck. My friend got in last year like a week before class started with a 24, I'm confident that you'll hear from them sooner or later.

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for sharing! Knowing for sure that at least a few spots will open up at MSUCOM soon gives me some hope.

You don't have to answer this, but just out of complete curiosity, what's your reasoning for withdrawing from MSUCOM?
I think I remember you said you've heard back from some MD schools, so I'm assuming you either plan on going MD or live OOS, but just curious if there's some other reason or anything in particular about MSUCOM that turned you off.

VisualEvolution

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for sharing! Knowing for sure that at least a few spots will open up at MSUCOM soon gives me some hope.

You don't have to answer this, but just out of complete curiosity, what's your reasoning for withdrawing from MSUCOM?
I think I remember you said you've heard back from some MD schools, so I'm assuming you either plan on going MD or live OOS, but just curious if there's some other reason or anything in particular about MSUCOM that turned you off.
There wasn't really anything that turned me off about MSUCOM, I would just rather go to OU. The interview at OU was amazing and I really felt that I could enjoy my four years over there. You also have an opportunity to do your rotations at Beaumont with OU, so that played a major role in deciding. MSU, on the other hand, is a complete mystery to me since they don't interview. I have a bunch of friends that go there and say only the best things but I think OU's interview day won me over. If you're pursuing any of these two schools, I really don't think you can go wrong. Where did you do your undergrad?

Aug 14, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
There wasn't really anything that turned me off about MSUCOM, I would just rather go to OU. The interview at OU was amazing and I really felt that I could enjoy my four years over there. You also have an opportunity to do your rotations at Beaumont with OU, so that played a major role in deciding. MSU, on the other hand, is a complete mystery to me since they don't interview. I have a bunch of friends that go there and say only the best things but I think OU's interview day won me over. If you're pursuing any of these two schools, I really don't think you can go wrong. Where did you do your undergrad?
Wait MSU doesn't interview? What do you mean?

VisualEvolution

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Wait MSU doesn't interview? What do you mean?
They interview few people, usually the ones with borderline stats or applicants with a misdemeanor/felony. This is in regards to the osteopathic school, the allopathic school has normal interviews.

Aug 14, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
They interview few people, usually the ones with borderline stats or applicants with a misdemeanor/felony. This is in regards to the osteopathic school, the allopathic school has normal interviews.
That is so weird. So if you have high stats, you can get in without an interview? I always thought interviews screen out the weirdos. I wonder if their class is full of 'em :D

OP
DrOneDay7
Sep 28, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
OU is definitely a great school, and congratulations on your acceptance there!

I understand what you mean about MSU being a mystery since they don't interview. I didn't mention this earlier because it was kind of irrelevant to my first post on the thread, but my older brother goes here and has great things to say about the school and all of his classmates. As a result, I know quite a bit about the curriculum and school, so that's just another reason why I'd love to go here.

I'll PM you about where I completed my undergrad!

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Wow! The interview process might not be that important as most med schools have us believed. I am sure MSU has produced GOOD physicians.

Last edited: