Starting to panic... Anyone else in a similar situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is so weird. So if you have high stats, you can get in without an interview? I always thought interviews screen out the weirdos. I wonder if their class is full of 'em :D

Yep very few people actually interview, the rest of us just get a phone call. MSUCOM's secondary was probably my most time consuming though, maybe they get a feel for your character based off that. I was actually thinking the same thing, but I guess it works for them considering they're one of the best medical schools in the country.

Wow! The interview process might not be that important as most med schools have us believed. I am sure MSU has produced GOOD physicians.

They most certainly produce quality physicians. If you live in southeast Michigan, you're bound to come across a number of great ones. I still think its kinda weird that they wouldn't interview. Its awesome not worrying about preparing for an interview, but its scary having to pay a $1k deposit without actually stepping foot in the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Its awesome not worrying about preparing for an interview, but its scary having to pay a $1k deposit without actually stepping foot in the school.

This. I can't imagine just showing up in August not having met anyone from the school or stepped foot on campus.

This. I can't imagine just showing up in August not having met anyone from the school or stepped foot on campus.

I can certainly understand why you feel that way. As applicants, from our perspective, the idea may seem kind of bizarre. From the perspective of adcoms there, they've been doing things this way for a very long time and have it down to a science.

They're very good at determining what type of person you are and whether you're a good fit based on your application materials alone. Their essay questions in particular, give you the opportunity to show your personality and character. Depending on your stats and volunteer experiences, if you haven't given them enough substance in your essays to make a decision, or if there's anything on your application/record that's questionable, they'll extend an ii.

Can't say anything about other years, but my brother is incredibly close with all of his classmates...everyone gets along great and supports one another, and they often get together in huge groups outside of class. For the record, my brother is very normal, and from everything he's told me, all of his classmates share that in common with him (i.e. have good interpersonal skills; enjoy having fun; aren't living double lives as med students by day, criminals by night).

Really, really hoping for some good news from them once things open up! :unsure: For that matter, I'm hoping for some good news from any school, or even just any news in general would work, too.

Members don't see this ad :)

there are tour dates available for accepted students so they can definitely go visit the school before deciding and the only difference is that they will enjoy the tour without having to undergo a stressful interview

Reactions: 1 user
Omg, you guys!!! I told you I'd bump this thread when I got my first ii, and that time has finally come!!! I got an interview invite from KYCOM early this morning. I'm SO unbelievably excited and thankful right now! :D :D:D

I've been waiting all day to get off work just so I could post on here. I was on the ICU floor, standing around by myself for a second when I decided to check my email on my phone. Saw the subject title, "Friday Interview Letter" from KYCOM Admissions, and immediately knew... My heart fluttered and I was SO close to jumping up & down and shouting, but obviously had to contain my excitement, so I just gasped and my hands started flailing around aimlessly as soon as I read it. Got a few confused looks after that!

Thank you, everyone for the great feedback you provided on this thread! You all have been so helpful and I appreciate the time you took to respond on here. Happy Holidays!!

Reactions: 10 users
Omg, you guys!!! I told you I'd bump this thread when I got my first ii, and that time has finally come!!! I got an interview invite from KYCOM early this morning. I'm SO unbelievably excited and thankful right now! :D :D:D

I've been waiting all day to get off work just so I could post on here. I was on the ICU floor, standing around by myself for a second when I decided to check my email on my phone. Saw the subject title, "Friday Interview Letter" from KYCOM Admissions, and immediately knew... My heart fluttered and I was SO close to jumping up & down and shouting, but obviously had to contain my excitement, so I just gasped and my hands started flailing around aimlessly as soon as I read it. Got a few confused looks after that!

Thank you, everyone for the great feedback you provided on this thread! You all have been so helpful and I appreciate the time you took to respond on here. Happy Holidays!!

Congratulations :)

Haha congrats. I expect more of those in your future! But the first one is always the most exciting.

Reactions: 1 user
I have ~3.5GPA, 26MCAT. I applied to 11- 12 schools and was complete at the beginning of October. So far: 1 acceptance, 4 interviews (just finished 3 and 1 is on the way), 1 rejection, 2 pre-interview holds, and still haven't heard from UNECOM, LECOM-Erie, Nova, NYIT, and PCOM....What a longggg cycle! Good luck everyone! Soon we will be there.

I applied in November sometime. I applied to the 9 DO schools that only require 2 letters, because unfortunately one of my letter writers was not able to write me one.

~3.5 gpa, 31 MCAT, 1000+ hours as well, good EC's.

Unfortunately my OTHER science letter writer also has not submitted my letter, though it has already been written (she has not submitted it to Interfolio).

So here I am, all of my secondaries complete except for my LoRs, which I have not sent because I am waiting for this final one. Weeks have gone by since I've been otherwise complete, but alas, getting desperate.

I'm crossing my fingers, all I want is the chance to be looked over by an adcom.

Find other letter writers. Your stats are strong and you really need to get your stuff complete.

The other LORs can be sent in later if they ever get turned in.

I applied in November sometime. I applied to the 9 DO schools that only require 2 letters, because unfortunately one of my letter writers was not able to write me one.

~3.5 gpa, 31 MCAT, 1000+ hours as well, good EC's.

Unfortunately my OTHER science letter writer also has not submitted my letter, though it has already been written (she has not submitted it to Interfolio).

So here I am, all of my secondaries complete except for my LoRs, which I have not sent because I am waiting for this final one. Weeks have gone by since I've been otherwise complete, but alas, getting desperate.

I'm crossing my fingers, all I want is the chance to be looked over by an adcom.

I get where you're coming from because I was in a similar situation. All my secondaries were done before Thanksgiving, but I didn't send my letters of recommendation because I was waiting on my DO letter. Finally, after constantly emailing, he wrote it, and after another series of emailing him, he submitted it to Interfolio.

Basically I lost about a month of what I think could have helped me get interviews by now. I only have one interview out of 14 DO schools I applied to. I'm eagerly waiting and waiting, trying to be busy and patient.

If I were you, keep emailing your professor to submit the letter to Interfolio. I'm sure you don't want to annoy your professor, but these are just constant reminders to them---I'm almost certain they know how it is. So don't worry about it. Sometimes they forget, and only you will be the reminder. Good luck!