Starting to panic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hanzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! What a great forum you guys have got here! Anyway, I'm in a bit of a panic. I ordered the Kaplan Online Course over the summer toward the beginning of May, but circumstances beyond my control basically prevented me from starting to study until last week. I scored on the diagnostic a 24 (P6,V11,B7), but I also scored a 30 on a Kaplan practice exam administered by my school about a week before school let out (P10,V12,B8), so I think my lower diagnostic score might have to do with the fact that I was at home in an atmosphere much less conducive to "thinking" right. I am generally a good student, I have a 3.94 overall GPA and a 3.97 science GPA (I've taken GB, GChem, OChem, Physics, and a quant chem class), and I got a 33 on my ACT.

I have my exam scheduled for August 5, but I really think I should change it to August 20 (school starts August 26). The last week of July, my family is taking a weeklong vacation that didn't come up until after I scheduled for 8/5, and I really don't want to spend the week before the test on vacation letting my mind go to mush.

So I guess my questions are:

1) Do I have a good case for myself to change the date?
a) Is there anyway I can avoid that $55 fee?
2) I feel like I would move so much faster through the material if there wasn't like 5 tests/quizzes for every little topic. I understand that the point is to drill into your head because after one session it's not going to stick just because you've written it down, and obviously I'm not going to skip over every test/quiz offered, but for those who've done Kaplan, how did you deal with the embarrassment of riches that Kaplan provided? Did you do every single test in every preview/review, or did you find that, say, doing the flashcards over and over again were a bigger help?

I ask this not because I want to whine myself through most easy route but because I really feel that time is of the essence and I need to find the most efficient method possible.

If you've made it to the end of this, thank you so much. So, thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

and I got a 33 on my ACT.

Completely irrelevant when it comes to MCAT. A word of advice - don't juxtapose SAT/ACT with MCAT. It's a frequently made mistake.

I have my exam scheduled for August 5, but I really think I should change it to August 20 (school starts August 26). The last week of July, my family is taking a weeklong vacation that didn't come up until after I scheduled for 8/5, and I really don't want to spend the week before the test on vacation letting my mind go to mush.

Not sure if there are spots left. Maybe, or maybe not - check ASAP.

1) Do I have a good case for myself to change the date?

Read my response right above.

a) Is there anyway I can avoid that $55 fee?

No.

2) I feel like I would move so much faster through the material if there wasn't like 5 tests/quizzes for every little topic. I understand that the point is to drill into your head because after one session it's not going to stick just because you've written it down, and obviously I'm not going to skip over every test/quiz offered, but for those who've done Kaplan, how did you deal with the embarrassment of riches that Kaplan provided? Did you do every single test in every preview/review, or did you find that, say, doing the flashcards over and over again were a bigger help?

There are those who did all, and those who didn't. Do what you feel is right.

I ask this not because I want to whine myself through most easy route but because I really feel that time is of the essence and I need to find the most efficient method possible.

If you've made it to the end of this, thank you so much. So, thoughts?

Efficient studying depends on individuals to individuals. Read through the older threads of this forum (stickied threads are a good start) and learn from them.

- Fellow student preparing for MCAT on August 20, 2010.