Starting Upenn Prehealth Fall 2006? And questions for current prehealth students.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snorkelingdoc2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all:

Anyone scheduled to commence the Prehealth program at Upenn, fall 2006? If so give a shout and I just wanted to say hi!

Has anyone figured out housing? Anyone need a roommate? I'm a non smoker, pet free, clean and considerate 26 yr male. I haven't yet subscribed to the student listserve yet, but maybe some of you are advertising a need for a roommate there?

Which classes are you taking? I haven't confirmed yet with Dr. Hunter, but probably Chem and Bio.

Students who are already in 2nd year of the program, which were your favorite professors, and which classes do you NOT recommend?

How difficult is the curving of the individual professors you had? Which professors do you think were the strictest graders?

Please note this thread is specific for students who are already enrolled or scheduled to enroll at the U Penn Prehealth program. If you have any questions concerning entry please do so in a separate thread.

Hope to hear back from some of you, and I'll see you there! Feel free to p.m. me with any suggestions.

kind regards
The snorkelingdoc2b

Members don't see this ad.

will be starting the program in the fall as well
gonna send you a PM now

Im starting in the fall as well. I am looking for a roommate, preferably a girl though. I just signed a lease at the Packard at Broad and Vine- building is absolutely GORGEOUS! There is a shuttle that runs straight to campus all day. Still need to find a roommate for the second bedroom; PM me if you are interested.

I am taking Bio and Chem and have been interviewing for research positions. Hope to volunteer at HUP as well. **If anyone plans on volunteering with the PreMed program at HUP, applications are due no later than August 11th for the fall!!!**

I dont know any of the professors, but I looked them up on ratemyprof.com and they both seem decent.

I am part of the post bac listserv but have never received anything from other students regarding living. In fact, have never receieved anything at all from other students. Am I part of the correct listserv?

Thanks and looking forward to meeting all of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all,

I am starting in the fall as well... and I also plan on taking the bio/chem combo. I have yet to subscribe to the listserv, or do any of the number of Penn key/card etc related things. I suppose I need to get moving on all that!

As for housing, I'm all set there... but I'll keep my ears open for people looking for roommates.

here's to new beginnings...

Starting in the the fall too. Chem, bio, and physics for me. As for teachers it looks like we only have one option for lecture and a couple for labs. I'm guessing listserv just doesn't get used much as I signed up a few weeks ago and have yet to recieve anything. Do any of you know if I have to actually go to the campus for the student ID? See all of you in September

Ah, someone else who will be loading up with three labs. I too will be experiencing the trifecta that is Chem/Bio/Physics. I assume you are trying to complete the program in one year, just like me. I also noticed your username...were you a Finance undergrad? recently? I just graduated in May from UMaryland with a degree in Finance. It would be nice to have someone in the same boat as me. Even if not, looks like we both will be plenty busy with the three labs. Have you registered yet? I register tomorrow at 10:30. Speak to you soon, -Michael.

Finance2Med said:
Starting in the the fall too. Chem, bio, and physics for me. As for teachers it looks like we only have one option for lecture and a couple for labs. I'm guessing listserv just doesn't get used much as I signed up a few weeks ago and have yet to recieve anything. Do any of you know if I have to actually go to the campus for the student ID? See all of you in September

Go Post Bac!

Seems like I will see everyone on this board in General Chemistry in September. I am starting the special science program in the Fall and will be taking chem. My other classes will, most likely, be upper level courses. I am meeting with Dr. Chicatti next week to set my schedule.

If there is anyone out there who went through the program, do you have any feedback/advice on the neuroscience and biology courses? Thanks!

Also, any pre-health or special-science with an arts background?

lee

Hello all:

Congrats! And here is a toast to a brave new world!!

I'll be in Upenn on Friday August 4th, so if any of you are in the Penn area feel free to PM for my cell phone. I'm meeting with Dr. Hunter and trying to apt hunt. I'm trying to hunt down for text books in advance and go meet Dr. Pietrov..... So we could all do that together!

As for the Listserve, I haven't seen anything either.

I don't have any housing set, so I'm really eager to look for a roommate, preferably in the prehealth program but not absolutely necessary. Any one looking for a roomie? I'm happy living anywhere in University City or Center City.

I've confirmed with Dr. Hunter I'm taking Chem and Bio, so I'll see you all there!

For those of you planning to complete this program in 2 years (as I probably am), are you planning on staying in Philly during the summer. So will you continue to live at your current location during the summer or will you move out during spring and then move back in fall? Just getting a gauge for my housing situation next year.

finance2med: I believe you can get your ID via mail, but it's much faster to get it in person.

Sorry I'm an engineering background.

I just signed up for email and the listserv yesterday and got a message about the job posting today on it... so you probably all got that as well, if not... something to look in to.

I am doing the two year program... working full time while in it and intend on staying at my current place straight through for the next couple years. Anyone else working full time while in this program?

I'm doing two years. Will be staying at my current place and taking summer class at Penn. I think some sort of Biochem/ Molecular... Dr. Ceccatti drew up a plan for me.

Can you guys please share your interview experiences. I passed the first stage and opted to do a phone interview, but I'm thinking I should fly over from Cali for a in person interview. I feel that they would see more of what I can offer, and it would allow me to decide if the program would be right for me. Even though I'm applying for the special science program, I think the interview would be very similar to the prehealth.

Please also state whether you did the interview over the phone or in person.

Thanks again for sharing.

Hello there!
I was also in Cali (Yay San Diego!!) at the time of my interview and opted for the phone interview, which must have gone well because I was admitted to the program and will be starting this fall. Dr. Hunter is amazing and I think you should be absolutely fine with a phone interview but I suppose it is whatever you are most comfortable with. Good luck!! Feel free to PM me with any further questions.

bliksem said:
Can you guys please share your interview experiences. I passed the first stage and opted to do a phone interview, but I'm thinking I should fly over from Cali for a in person interview. I feel that they would see more of what I can offer, and it would allow me to decide if the program would be right for me. Even though I'm applying for the special science program, I think the interview would be very similar to the prehealth.

Please also state whether you did the interview over the phone or in person.

Thanks again for sharing.

I interviewed overthe phone and I live in Philly! And, I got in... I wouldn't worry about it. Just relax and be ready to express why your interested in medicine, penn, and how your non-trad experience will help you as a student. My interview was with Dr. Purpura and I've met Dr. Hunter. They are both very chill, nice people. Very painless interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after your interview did you get your acceptance?

Thanks to those that responded to my earlier question. It really has put me at ease.

I interviewed in person with Dr. Ceccatti and got my acceptance in about 2-3 weeks. He was so nice, the interview was supposed to last 30 minutes but we ended up just chatting for about an hour.

If someone is looking for a roommate for the semester starting in September, please PM me. Thanks.

Hi guys. I started Penn's PostBac (Special Sciences) in Fall 2005. As far at the program goes, I recommend taking the CGS specific classes instead of day courses (which seem to have tighter curves and more antsy premed gunners to contend with based on my experiences with physics I and II). I was extremely happy with the organic course offered so if any of you are considering organic this fall, I would highly recommend Dr. Price's course. He makes you work hard, but it's definitely worth it in terms of MCAT preparation, amount learned, etcetera (And, surprisingly for me, the challenge felt cool). I also took genetics (Biol 221) last fall and I thought it was a fantastic course. However, there's a different prof this term so I can't attest to her/him.

There's a great course review website that gives rankings on course difficulty/professors which might be useful: www.vpul.upenn.edu/coursereview. You have to sign in with your PennKey (same thing you use for email) in order to review the listings.

Finally, as far as the interview is concerned, since I went to Penn undergrad I just interviewed with Dr. Hunter in April of my senior year in person. She's a really great advisor and not intimidating to talk to (although if there's anything potentially unfortunate about your application such as a low GPA/MCAT score, be prepared to talk about it and how you plan on overcoming it). I personally think you'd be fine with a phone interview though. If I remember correctly, it took about two weeks to hear back postg-interview. Good luck and feel free to shoot me a PM/respond here with any questions re: Philly, Penn, etcetera.

Hi all,
I will be starting UPENN's post-bacc pre-health program in the Fall and am definitely going to be needing some part-time work! I am thinking as a Research Assistant at a hospital. Besides the listserv, does anyone have any good advice on where to look for one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to meeting all of you.

I'll be there from noonish - to 7:00 pm. I'm free to meet up with prospective or even current or past students!

I don't really know where is a good rendezvous point (anyone have suggestions) but I saw a few nice lookin bars in the back alleys right behind walnut (with some restaurants) where I think there were cobble stoned streets. Alternatively, the only place I know is Houston Hall (is that the student - undergrad? common room?).

Anyone going to be in that area? If so reply!

Also, I'm looking for a roommate and am scheduled to visit a nice apartment going for $1850 that is 2br/2bath. I'm a 26.5 yr old, non smoking, pet free, outgoing, healthy, active male about to commence the prehealth. It would be great to live with someone in the program.

Feel free to call me on my cell on 646 285 1462, if you want details of the place I'm going to live and so we can talk before we visit the place together.

kind regards

Hey guys

I am trying to figure out my schedule for the next semester. I know I am taking class Tues/ Thurs evenings 6:30- 9:30 and Sat 9:00- 3:00, but do you know when the other meeting times are? Dr. Hunter mentioned recitation Tues night after class and then some other meeting on either Wed or Fri night? And post bac stuff Fri noonish? Does anyone know for sure what to expect?

Thanks

Those are the exact dates i heard, and there isn't anything else to expect unless you are volunteering or some other classes you are taking.

Fashionista, I decided not to move into the same building as you. More a matter of cost than anything else, but the apartments are REALLY nice!!!! I decided I don't deserve to live in such a nice place until I've earned it!

Thanks for telling me about the building though.

Fashionista said:
Hey guys

I am trying to figure out my schedule for the next semester. I know I am taking class Tues/ Thurs evenings 6:30- 9:30 and Sat 9:00- 3:00, but do you know when the other meeting times are? Dr. Hunter mentioned recitation Tues night after class and then some other meeting on either Wed or Fri night? And post bac stuff Fri noonish? Does anyone know for sure what to expect?

Thanks

snorkelingdoc2b said:
Those are the exact dates i heard, and there isn't anything else to expect unless you are volunteering or some other classes you are taking.

Fashionista, I decided not to move into the same building as you. More a matter of cost than anything else, but the apartments are REALLY nice!!!! I decided I don't deserve to live in such a nice place until I've earned it!

Thanks for telling me about the building though.

No problem. It would have been nice to have someone in the program in the building. Still narrowing down roommates.. any girls want to take a look at my apartment? It really is beautiful- I think my parents feel guilty because my last apartment was a D.U.M.P.

Fashionista said:
Hey guys

Thanks

Hmm...I'm not sure about the recitation Dr. Hunter mentioned (However, if there is one and it's not already posted to your Penn-in-Touch schedule, your prof will let you know come September). As far as post-bac stuff around noon on Friday, it's all optional but they'll have speakers from local medical schools, book discussions, etcetera. Everything gets announced beforehand on the student listserve.

Also, as an aside since people are talking about apartments, I highly recommend checking out craigslist.org or www.phillyweekly.com (classified ads rental section that is updated every Wednesday morning). I've found all three of my past Philly apartments over the years through the latter and I've been happy with each. Both are also particularly good if you're looking for brownstone apartments as opposed to the high rise buildings although both are included in the listings.

I'm going to be starting penn's special science program in the fall and was wondering if anyone in this thread was still looking for housing. Right now I'm looking up stuff for myself, but would rather have a roommate. Let me know!

Is everyone buying books before the first day of class? Or going to wait until after the syllabus is handed out to see if we need the books.. or not getting books at all