Starting Year Three with no research or extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gilbert Syndrome

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a third year medical student that is starting rotations that really hasn't done much during the first two years besides study and relax whenever I got the opportunity. I think research is boring and I've done very minimal volunteering work. I guess my question is, should I be worried? I'm mainly interested in EM, FM or IM. My comlex is 647 and I'm still waiting on my step score to come back but I'm anticipating 235+ just based off my practice tests. I don't want you guys to think I'm a total book worm either. I do enjoy playing sports and hiking and a whole bunch of stuff that does not include school work. The problem is that I can't really put that in my CV lol.

@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You’ll be fine. Be proactive on rotations, ask for cases to write up. Assuming you’re a normal person the world is pretty much your oyster. Congrats.

According to NRMP research means very little for the run of the mill FM ER IM progs

I don’t have any nor plan on getting them and will be applying IM. Most research is a waste of time lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The number one thing for residency and life:

1. Be available, affable, able
2. Don't be unlikable
3. Do well on boards

Don't make this complicated with bs clubs and volunteering in some stupid fake student organization as the assistant historian to the vice president of LSD patient nutritionists.

Reactions: 2 users
What about general surgery residency? I'm about 4 weeks into this rotation and I'm really enjoying it. Would I even have a shot at that? Looking at the NRMP osteopathic outcomes it seems like research didn't really matter too much. I also got my step1 score back and it was a 241 but idk how much that score will make up for my lack of other stuff

What about general surgery residency? I'm about 4 weeks into this rotation and I'm really enjoying it. Would I even have a shot at that? Looking at the NRMP osteopathic outcomes it seems like research didn't really matter too much. I also got my step1 score back and it was a 241 but idk how much that score will make up for my lack of other stuff
You will be fine for EM/IM/FM, gen surg is possible with those scores.

The number one thing for residency and life:

1. Be available, affable, able
2. Don't be unlikable
3. Do well on boards

Don't make this complicated with bs clubs and volunteering in some stupid fake student organization as the assistant historian to the vice president of LSD patient nutritionists.
This is the winning formula for residency matching.

We should make the no extracurricular, research, or volunteering club

But then we would have to get kicked out for breaking the rules.

I don’t have any either lol look at PD survey they don’t care for any of the above except for research if it’s good and mostly for competitive residencies

Reactions: 1 users
You will be fine for EM/IM/FM, gen surg is possible with those scores.

This is the winning formula for residency matching.

Or 15th vice secretary of the ortho but not quite club

Reactions: 2 users
hey guys, similar situation with OP as well, I'd like to ask about leadership roles though. Is holding at least 1 leadership position necessary? (I'm aiming for EM, just an OMS1 btw).

Thanks everyone!