MD Starting Youtube channel in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pprbckwrtr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've been toying with the idea of starting a youtube channel in medical school. Not quite sure if I want to go the route of a day in the life of a med student, or study vlogs.

I find that I learn best when I am teaching and explaining concepts (teaching is one of my passions), so I was thinking of maybe doing little videos of actual study material. I understand that the study volume is enormous, so would explanation vlogs not be feasible? I just know that I retain material sooo much better that way, so trying to figure out how to make that a regular part of my studies.

On a side note, anyone tried the other type of vlog? More personal/med student life type of thing? I wonder if it might feel too... self-exploitative?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Do it if ya want.

Just remember... it takes time to film and edit the videos for youtube.

IG is just a ... *SIGH*... please don't get me started.

It's like EVERY med student has the same account and same pics under their IG account. It's the infamous "Med student IG account" starter pack...

The pics that shows how "pretty" your highlighter setup is and how "hard" you have been working with a carefully placed coffee/tea alongside your marked up first aid with some glitzy filter and cheesy played out quote out of some damn book you know damn well you didn't read lol

Oh... not to mention the scrub company that pays you per post to advertise their scrubs in return for you clamoring about "OMG.... THESE ARE THE MOST COMFORTABLE SCRUBS EVERRRR... THANKS to *insert company name here* FOR THE SCRUBs.... LIKE OMMGGGG"

If you like teaching, I'm sure that'll work out well.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
It's like EVERY med student has the same account and same pics under their IG account. It's the infamous "Med student IG account" starter pack...

The cringe factor is over 9000. Fake med students and premeds are doing this too. Can you imagine?? Makes me want to throw myself out of a window.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The cringe factor is over 9000. Fake med students and premeds are doing this too. Can you imagine?? Makes me want to throw myself out of a window.

It's the generation we live in now my man.

Everybody wants to be "famous" and "popular" and they equate their self worth to the amount of "likes" and "views" that they get under their pics.

It's so FAKE though.

The sooner we all realize that social media is NOT REAL LIFE.... the better it will be.

I literally know people who throw FITS when their photos and videos don't reach a certain number of likes in a certain period or when they lose followers.

YES... These are actual medical students too. When you see them in real life... they are TOTALLY different than who they portray to be on the internet.

It's not mentally healthy.

Hate to say it... since I am one...

Damn millenials.

Reactions: 7 users
Hahah, I agree with both of you.

Very much considering the study videos though! I feel like fact checking for fear of spreading misinformation about a topic might really help me remember the material.

Reactions: 1 users
There are some great people on YT and IG and they have over 200k subscribers and followers, and they do anything from home life, to study techniques, to outfits for rounds/wards, exercise tips. One vlogs each rotation, and explains how she studied for a certain shelf exam and even how she does her anki setup for her cards. A lot is really helpful information (if you’re woman, that’s their audience it seems). They don’t just post highlighters or scrubs and coffee cups. If you’re interested in those pages PM me I’ll give you the link.

Hello all!

I've been toying with the idea of starting a youtube channel in medical school. Not quite sure if I want to go the route of a day in the life of a med student, or study vlogs.

I find that I learn best when I am teaching and explaining concepts (teaching is one of my passions), so I was thinking of maybe doing little videos of actual study material. I understand that the study volume is enormous, so would explanation vlogs not be feasible? I just know that I retain material sooo much better that way, so trying to figure out how to make that a regular part of my studies.

On a side note, anyone tried the other type of vlog? More personal/med student life type of thing? I wonder if it might feel too... self-exploitative?

Thanks!

I had thought about doing one before starting med school. I was going to do something along the lines of here's what sucks about med school/commonly encountered problems and here's how to deal with it. Not anything super negative, just more of a "Here's how to navigate/adjust to medical school" type thing. Ultimately decided not to do it when after the first few weeks kicked my butt (recovered pretty quick, but didn't want to start something I didn't know I could do regularly), and in retrospect I'm glad I didn't. The last thing you want is for someone to find it when you're applying for residency and see something that they hate. Or if your school's admin is the big brother type for them to see something and punish you for it (the word unprofessional gets thrown around very easily at some places). So I generally advise people to avoid the lifestyle blogs unless they're about stuff outside of medical school (even then, blogger beware).

The study vlog/teaching thing could be great though, especially if you're trying to go into academic medicine. Being able to show you're legitimately into teaching and helping others learn is typically a positive, and as long as your videos aren't riddled with errors I'd think most places would probably look at that pretty positively. So if you really wanted to do a vlog, I'd go the teaching route. If you do, I wouldn't worry too much about covering everything. Just pick things you feel are high-yield or that you feel like you need to learn better and make videos of that material. The added bonus of those is that you'd be learning while you make them, so use it to your advantage.

Reactions: 4 users
This is the lamest idea I ever heard. Only weirdo med students would think this would be interesting to civilians. People your age already are starting businesses and enjoying their weekends. They don’t want to watch a dork sit in his or her room looking at a book unless you’re banging broads in your white coat

Lol, but tbf people are actually interested. One youtuber gets tens to hundreds of thousands of views on her "study with me" vids. People say it's "motivating" and "I feel like I'm in med school right with you!" lol. When I see her thumbnails in my recommended vids, I'm like why are you doing this?

Reactions: 1 user
Do it if ya want.

Just remember... it takes time to film and edit the videos for youtube.

IG is just a ... *SIGH*... please don't get me started.

The pics that shows how "pretty" your highlighter setup is and how "hard" you have been working with a carefully placed coffee/tea alongside your marked up first aid with some glitzy filter and cheesy played out quote out of some damn book you know damn well you didn't read lol

Oh... not to mention the scrub company that pays you per post to advertise their scrubs in return for you clamoring about "OMG.... THESE ARE THE MOST COMFORTABLE SCRUBS EVERRRR... THANKS to *insert company name here* FOR THE SCRUBs.... LIKE OMMGGGG"

If you like teaching, I'm sure that'll work out well.

Good luck.

But I absolutely LOVE posting shirtless douche bag gym selfies all over my IG account....

Reactions: 2 users
This is the lamest idea I ever heard. Only weirdo med students would think this would be interesting to civilians. People your age already are starting businesses and enjoying their weekends. They don’t want to watch a dork sit in his or her room looking at a book unless you’re banging broads in your white coat

They already have websites for that kind of fetish, I believe...

Lol, but tbf people are actually interested. One youtuber gets tens to hundreds of thousands of views on her "study with me" vids. People say it's "motivating" and "I feel like I'm in med school right with you!" lol. When I see her thumbnails in my recommended vids, I'm like why are you doing this?

Money. YouTube is actually a pretty lucrative career especially when you start getting sponsorships.

There's one med YouTuber (don't remember her name) who has a nice apartment in NYC and I don't think she has roommates. There is no way that just loan money is funding that.

you could have problems with image and the school getting you in trouble if they don't like your content

it's happened more than once, believe me

best to avoid super public social media channels as a physician (or future one)

Back in my day we studied for the prestige and honor of being a physician. Not showy attention whorishness of social media. And we enjoyed it! ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Hello all!

Thanks!
I second going straight to IG. Everybody just LOVES pics of auscilating your textbooks, non-prescription glasses next to books by Atul Gawande, and your choice of fruit bowl or Starbucks scone by your MacBook Air. All followed by a word salad of how you just wanna be known as 'the good doctor'.
It's trendy & totally not obnoxious! :highfive:

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not gonna lie, every time I get a brand new pair of Jaanu scrub set, you know damn well an IG post will proceed :D

I have one channel where I used to teach biochemistry while I was studying for Step 1. I'm an IMG, so it's in Spanish. I reached more than 80,000 subscribers but haven't posted in more than 2 years. Then I started another channel (not related to medicine) and reached almost 6 million subscribers and 1 billion views in 2 years, I'm not kidding. I left that channel to continue with medicine again and posted a thread on this website about my experience. I'm still in the process of trying to match into residency. Good luck!

I have one channel where I used to teach biochemistry while I was studying for Step 1. I'm an IMG, so it's in Spanish. I reached more than 80,000 subscribers but haven't posted in more than 2 years. Then I started another channel (not related to medicine) and reached almost 6 million subscribers and 1 billion views in 2 years, I'm not kidding. I left that channel to continue with medicine again and posted a thread on this website about my experience. I'm still in the process of trying to match into residency. Good luck!
That is so cool! Made me so excited to get it going. Clearly high demand