State college or University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnguyen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious, does anyone know what the percentage of applicants come from Universities vs. State colleges? Not that it makes a difference but I feel like since I went to Berkeley my GPA is not all that great. I know that some State colleges can be really tough too.

Recently, I took the Kaplan course with some fellow students in San Francisco and I was the only person from a university out of the 6 people there. This obviously isn't representative of the applicant pool, so can anyone with more knowledge share?

Members don't see this ad.

Just to clarify, do you mean STATE universities versus STATE colleges, or are you asking about public versus private schools?

dnguyen said:
I was curious, does anyone know what the percentage of applicants come from Universities vs. State colleges? Not that it makes a difference but I feel like since I went to Berkeley my GPA is not all that great. I know that some State colleges can be really tough too.

Recently, I took the Kaplan course with some fellow students in San Francisco and I was the only person from a university out of the 6 people there. This obviously isn't representative of the applicant pool, so can anyone with more knowledge share?

A Berkley grad. is usually preferred if everything else is equal or close. For example, the majority of UCSF students are from UC schools:

UCSF - Facts Sheet
SCHOOL ATTENDED
University of California: 44 (55%)
California State University: 15 (18.75%)
Other / Private: 21 (26.25%)

This doesn't mean every UC Berkley grad. must be accepted regardless of DAT scores and GPAs. If you go to any school (state school, college, university, public or private, easy or hard) and your GPA is 4.0 and AA = 30 you are in. If you go to any school and your GPA is 0.0 and AA = 0 you are rejected.

[I believe if your DAT scores are great you won't have any problems getting in. I have seen applicants with GPA = 2.7 and great DAT scores getting accepted to vey good dental schools]