State Dental Boards: Required Clinical Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand states only accept specific clinic board exams for Initial Dental Licensure. Eg. SRTA is not accepted in every state.

> Is there a way around this if you work in Public Health?
>What is the average many years do you want to work before states begin to wavier this requirement? Anyone have a link with information?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I understand states only accept specific clinic board exams for Initial Dental Licensure. Eg. SRTA is not accepted in every state.

> Is there a way around this if you work in Public Health?
>What is the average many years do you want to work before states begin to wavier this requirement? Anyone have a link with information?

Thanks!
There are a few ways around it for public health. First is joining the United States Punlic Health Service (USPHS). By doing that and getting a job through them, you are working for the government and licensure works similar to if you were in the military (meaning you need an active license in any state and can practice wherever you need to go). Second way is by a public health/community service license. Not all states offer them, but the ones that do allow you to receive a license if you limit your practice to an FQHC or something similar. They have unique requirements specific to that type of license, but it’s not too bad.
I would say somewhere around 5 years for the “waiver” (licensure by credentials), but it varies by state. Some states don’t ever allow it. Some do sooner than others. This is the best link I could find. It isn’t too up to date with newer items, but I don’t think the answer to your specific question has changed much.

Licensure Information by State