State dental schools and diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaQUp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A medical schools admissions counselor (from state med school) came to my school and mentioned that they compare students within schools. For example, if they receive 10 applications from school X, they will compare those 10 students and probably interview the top 5, and accept the top 3 or so.

This got me to wondering: Most schools want a diverse class and they want the best students. Save a few, they want students representing a wide variety of different undergraduate schools. So do you think dental schools will accept the top few students from a wide variety undergraduate schools? It is probably the same number of students (provided enough apply) from that undergrad each year then, right?

Obviously this only applies to state schools.

More simply stated, if you are the only person applying to dental school from your undergrad, are you more likely to get accepted to your state dental school, as opposed to being 1 in 50 students applying to said state dental school from your undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been wondering the same kind of thing recently. I'm attending school at McGill in Québec, Canada, but I'm a US citizen and Texas resident. Since there's three dental schools in Texas and the price to attend any one of them as a Texas resident is very low I've been planning on going to one of them (UTSA, Houston, Baylor). It's likely that when I apply (I'm only finishing my first year of undergrad now) I'll be the only person from my university to do so to these specific schools as the large majority of the other US students here are from the northeast or the west coast, and even then only a small fraction of them will be applying to dental schools. What I've been wondering is whether or not studying in a school far from Texas (in another country and in a province which speaks another language for that matter) will help me at all, as it's definitely something different from the dozens of applicants I'm sure they get every year from UT or A&M?

This is why there is a personal statement. You can express yourself as diverse regardless of the few schools that look for the obvious. Go beyond the ordinary to describe how you are exceptional.