State dental schools for out-of-state residents~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grettlin2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a CA resident and would like to apply other state dental schools as well. Hope you could input some idea about the following state schools based on the acceptance rate toward out-of-state residents. I do not have extra money to spend, so I hope I can know before I waste it.

U of Michigan, Indiana U, U of Louiville, U of Minnesota

Ask 2 private schools:

Pittsburg Univ., Howard Univ.

Members don't see this ad.

Michigan takes a lot of out-of-staters. At least 40%. They pride themselves on being diverse. Good luck!

I'm certain that Louisville takes quite a few out of state students.

I believe that Minnesota also takes a large number of out of state and foreign students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, thanks for you reply. Your answer would help me to decide my school list. Although I had read the offical guide to dental school, I would like to know how people think about these schools not just the number on the book.
For Louisville, I called them two weeks ago. However, they told me they "LIKE" and welcome out-of-state students. I am not sure about that or probably they just want the money (application fee)?
For Pittsburg, do you think it is relativly to get in comparing to Case or USC in private schools?
Thanks for any input! ;)

grettlin2, I think Pittsburgh is a good bet. They seem to take a lot of out-of-staters. In fact, I was one of them. I may not even get into my own state's schood (C.U.). I'm going to Nova, but Pitt was great, and I would definately apply to that school.

Louisville generally takes 30-40 (~36) out of staters. However, I applied with GPA and DAT stats above their published class averages. Out of seven schools I applied to, Louisville was the only one to not offer an interview and they have given me my only rejection letter to date. Hope that helps.

LSU School of Dentistry accepts up to 5-out-of-state applicants per year. Not too many people know this so the total out-of-state applicant pool that LSU sees may not be all that many.

http://www.lsusd.lsuhsc.edu/academic/dds2.htm