State Licensing Isues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niuyiar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Started filling out the mountains of paperwork to get an unrestricted license to practice medicine, however came across questions about failing courses in medical school (which I did and answered all of them honestly), my question, having failed some classes in med school but an otherwise clean record/application would prevent me from getting a license? Searched the web but didn't find anything remotely close to an answer, any info would be well appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There are two reasons for licensing - make sure you're morally fit (not a criminal and not insane), and make sure you're not a dolt (passing steps and graduating med school).

Now, "making sure" will engender anecdotes of people that slipped through. No one is perfect.

However, if you passed the classes on retake, and passed your steps, that shows the state that you're not a total dummy. You will be licensed. It might take time, but you will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the state. Here in Texas we've gotten picky, real picky. Right now we use licensing as a limiting tool to maintain the number of physicians needed, and we only license those who are in the margins if they will most likely practice in needed areas of the state. The board denies many more applicants than it licenses-- really. There is no shortage of doctors or nurses in Texas; thank you tort reform.

Depends on the state. Here in Texas we've gotten picky, real picky. Right now we use licensing as a limiting tool to maintain the number of physicians needed, and we only license those who are in the margins if they will most likely practice in needed areas of the state. The board denies many more applicants than it licenses-- really. There is no shortage of doctors or nurses in Texas; thank you tort reform.

Yeah, I should have been more clear. The OP will be licensed somewhere. In some places, though, like TX, might be an issue.

What about those who attend med school and residency and have family in texas?

What about those who attend med school and residency and have family in texas?

Don't F up and you should be fine.

Danbo's point was that TX has enough docs that it doesn't need borderline candidates. So any red flag on your app (failed class, failed step, disciplinary problems, etc) will make it more difficult to get a license. I doubt they're screening by Step scores and AOA (although I could be wrong). So just keep your nose and CV clean and you'll be fine.

Don't F up and you should be fine.

Danbo's point was that TX has enough docs that it doesn't need borderline candidates. So any red flag on your app (failed class, failed step, disciplinary problems, etc) will make it more difficult to get a license. I doubt they're screening by Step scores and AOA (although I could be wrong). So just keep your nose and CV clean and you'll be fine.

I took that poster's position to be Texas med school and residency and family with a failed class (already done, vs "don't F up" - the "F"ing is complete) (or some other red flag). I could be wrong.

I took that poster's position to be Texas med school and residency and family with a failed class (already done, vs "don't F up" - the "F"ing is complete) (or some other red flag). I could be wrong.

Good point. If the F is already up.... Probably best to try to get a license before you bother looking for a job there in that case.

I doubt they're screening by Step scores and AOA (although I could be wrong).

The Texas board does not screen for AOA or Step scores. For a first time application, they're interested in personal character negatives and definite signs of "problems" during the educational process. Moral turpitude, drug use, etc. and any previous legal issues will be found out-- the long application process catches everything.

Once licensed though, a Texas doctor is given every chance to keep his/her license if problems occur, unless there are well-defined reasons for suspension or revocation.

^too all above

I do have a black mark on my record. Was arrested for Drug Paraphernalia(marijuana) in Austin when I was 20. I'm assuming it will be brought up during residency interviews but I'll be a highly competitive IM candidate so I don't think it will close any doors for me in Texas. I would have never imagined that it could prohibit me from obtaining a license in Texas. I mean, by the time I apply it will have been 10years past. Theres no other state (or city) I'd rather be in.

Are you still high from that joint seven years ago?

people must think you're clever

Edit: Wanted to add to Danbo's claim that the TMB "denies many more applicants than it licenses-- really." Actually you're wrong. From this website http://www.rickperry.org/issues/health-care?page=5, you'll see that the approved 3,324 out of 4,041, which is 83% in 2007 and in 2008 approved even more licenses. Not sure where you got your facts from. I'd be curious what the numbers were for 2011, maybe its trended downwards.

Last edited:
^^^ We turn down more first time out of state applicants than not. If a doctor is already licensed (has practiced) in another state and wants to come to Texas, which is happening a lot since tort reform, he/she will have almost no problem getting a Texas license-- we want those doctors.

Texas graduates over 1600 MDs each year, 50% of those do their residencies in state; most have no problem getting licensed.

Be clear about this: if you are a first time MD applicant from outside of Texas, your total resume will scrutinized for negatives-- just be very ready to answer questions concerning those negatives, in person, in front of the Board.

Last edited:
^^^ We turn down more first time out of state applicants than not. If a doctor is already licensed (has practiced) in another state and wants to come to Texas, which is happening a lot since tort reform, he/she will have almost no problem getting a Texas license-- we want those doctors.

Texas graduates over 1600 MDs each year, 50% of those do their residencies in state; most have no problem getting licensed.

Be clear about this: if you are a first time MD applicant from outside of Texas, your total resume will scrutinized for negatives-- just be very ready to answer questions concerning those negatives, in person, in front of the Board.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification