State Medical License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillin691

Living the dream...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, PGY-2's in my FM program need to have their medical license. Since none of my med school colleagues need theirs, yet, does anybody know prices for licenses of different states.

Also, can you write prescriptions for different states? I.e. getting an Indiana license and writing a prescription in NC or NY, for example.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So, PGY-2's in my FM program need to have their medical license. Since none of my med school colleagues need theirs, yet, does anybody know prices for licenses of different states.

Also, can you write prescriptions for different states? I.e. getting an Indiana license and writing a prescription in NC or NY, for example.

Thanks

Indiana used to have one of the lowest application and licensing fees, $40.00. I don't know if that is still true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nabraska is $77 every two years but if you send them a copy of your orders, they waive it. FREE MEDICAL LICENSE RENEWAL

Nabraska is $77 every two years but if you send them a copy of your orders, they waive it. FREE MEDICAL LICENSE RENEWAL

That only works if the license they provide would allow you to practice unrestricted in that state. It is likely that it would, you would just have to pay the fee. There was a big issue about this a few years back when Oklahoma was offering military licenses that did not permit practice in the state. A number of less than qualified docs were obtaining licenses to practice in the federal system.

I went with Virginia - about $300, paperwork/application was easy, they turned around the paperwork FAST. Had license in hand in about 8 weeks. Good for 3 years.

Ditto. I have the VA license. The turn around time was fast. It's not the cheapest but not very expensive.

Here! Here! I have a NEBRASKA license and after the initial money, the renewals are free and the application process is painless. I would strongly suggest a Nebraska license.

Unless, you know where you are going to practice and you will want to moonlight there. Many states require you to have completed a PGY2 year prior to licensure. If you know where you are going to go, you can get a license in that state so you won't have to do it twice.

Here! Here! I have a NEBRASKA license and after the initial money, the renewals are free and the application process is painless. I would strongly suggest a Nebraska license.

Unless, you know where you are going to practice and you will want to moonlight there. Many states require you to have completed a PGY2 year prior to licensure. If you know where you are going to go, you can get a license in that state so you won't have to do it twice.

I think I'll get one from Eyedahoe instead.

If I PCS to CA, can I moonlight on another state license, or do I need to apply for CA license? I suspect CA will try to get more money out of me one way or the other if I venture off base. It is almost as dangerous as leaving the green zone on a scooter.

If I PCS to CA, can I moonlight on another state license, or do I need to apply for CA license? I suspect CA will try to get more money out of me one way or the other if I venture off base. It is almost as dangerous as leaving the green zone on a scooter.

Any state you moonlight in is going to require a license in that state. Practicing in the military is the lone exception to that rule.

Any state you moonlight in is going to require a license in that state. Practicing in the military is the lone exception to that rule.

I thought some states allowed military docs to moonlight locally, and allowed license reciprocity in order to attract docs to stay. I don;t kow which states might do this; I was hoping there may be some loopholes in CA -- I'm cheap.

I thought some states allowed military docs to moonlight locally, and allowed license reciprocity in order to attract docs to stay. I don;t kow which states might do this; I was hoping there may be some loopholes in CA -- I'm cheap.

California has a 50% budget shortfall. There is no way that they're not going to make you pay every fee they can (just ask my self-employed wife, who is also a CA resident)