state of residencE affect candidate of residencY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luella

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some say that Residency programs show bias toward in-state applicants. Anyone have insight?

I ask b/c I am currently a CA state "resident" going to med school in NY and thinking of switching to a NY state "residency" for tuition purposes. Will I be forfeiting some kind of edge when I apply to Residency programs back in CA?

(puns unintended and unavoidable!)

Members don't see this ad.

The 'residency' in the tax sense (that NYS schools look at) has not influence on the bias of residency programs for local candidates. But yes, there is a lot of local bias regarding residency applicants. You will have an easier time getting into a competitive residency in the northeast if you come from a NY school. People are more likely to know your letter writers and they have a better feel for the level of training offered at your school.

You lost your 'local edge' by going to a medschool accross the country, not by changing your license plates. On SDN, you will still encounter fools who will tell you that it is impossible to get specialties such as derm in cali if you didn't go to a cali medschool. This has previously been proven false, derm residents in cali come from all over the country including illustrious places such as univ of rochester. But it is certainly easier to stay local.

Thank you. That makes sense.

Follow-up question...

f_w said:
You will have an easier time getting into a competitive residency in the northeast if you come from a NY school. People are more likely to know your letter writers and they have a better feel for the level of training offered at your school.
...so if I do an away elective somewhere local to my dream Residency program and get a good LOR from a local rockstar of the field, I can re-gain some lost "edge"?

...so if I do an away elective somewhere local to my dream Residency program and get a good LOR from a local rockstar of the field, I can re-gain some lost "edge"?

Yes, but.

People tend to overestimate the power of electives (audition rotations) on their chances of matching at a particular program. It is kind of odd, but at least in my field it doesn't seem to make such a big difference in peoples chances.

The fact that you are originally from CA and probably still have family there probably means that you still have an edge. Some competitive residencies will flat out reject people who they think are just trying to get to CA to live by the beach for a few years, but if you are actually from CA, you have a better chance of landing an interview. Residency programs want to train people who they think will stay around the area. Your state of legal residence has nothing to do with that, by the way. Doing electives on the West coast is just another way to prove your comittment to coming back. You might also find a program you fit into well. The great thing about CA is that there are tons of residency programs, so you have more chances.

f_w said:
Yes, but.

People tend to overestimate the power of electives (audition rotations) on their chances of matching at a particular program. It is kind of odd, but at least in my field it doesn't seem to make such a big difference in peoples chances.

I agree with this. Unless you happen to do an audition where you manage to be on the same team as the program director (the one month a year they're on service) or a member of the selction committee (which most places don't advertise the composition of), an away will have very little effect on your likelihood of matching.

You are more likely to get an interview though. Most programs (at least in IM) will offer courtesy interviews to anyone who does a rotation there. For that reason, the most desireable programs have lots of applicants for few away spots. In other words, don't assume you'll be able to land a Cards elective at Duke or an ID elective at Hopkins or UCSF in August unless you plan way ahead or have an in. You still might get lucky but don't bet the farm on it.

I know that our OB program is highly sought after (being one of only 2 in the Northwest) and people trying to come here to do aways have a really hard time. The fiance of one of my co-interns is spending 4 months here, only one of which is a clinical OB elective, the others are an OB research month, a NICU month and a Peds Urology month.

So if doing an away elective is really important to you, plan ahead, have lots of contingency plans and don't expect miracles.

Good luck
BE (now PE)

Please don't overestimate the power of residency, especially when it comes to a saturated market like California.

yes, there is some preference given to residents, especially those with family in the area. But it does not, by any means, trump grades, LORs, USMLE scores, etc. It is an insignificant portion of your application, one which might get you the edge AFTER you get an interview, not likely before, IMHO.