state-of-residence question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by robbie124, Jun 22, 2002.

1. robbie124

robbie124 New Member

I am a NY resident and have declared myself as one on my 2003 AMCAS application. However, I am currently working in California, and put down my CA address as my preferred mailing address. Will this make med schools think I'm not a true NY resident?

Thanks for any help.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    of course not! Many people are in school (out of state) when they put down their preferred mailing address, so don't worry about it. :)

4. robbie124

robbie124 New Member

Thank you.

5. MAKE SURE you keep all your documentation (license, registration, voter's registration) in NY or your residency might come into question for tuition purposes. i almost screwed myself this year because of that.

6. souljah1

souljah1 Attending

Also, I would check with your in-state schools to and ask them what their instate resident requirements are. Some schools (some UCs) will not consider you an instate resident if you live outside the state and are taxed in that state. I am a CA resident and before I left I visited my school's advising service and they called the UCs to see what and what I could not do. Turned out that I could live outside the state, but could not vote or receive state income tax from that outside state. It also helps to keep your license, your permanent residence, and a bank account (even if you have a dollar in it!) in the state that you call your permanent home. I wouldn't stress over it. Best of luck.

7. edmadison

edmadison 1K Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by robbie124:
    <strong>I am a NY resident and have declared myself as one on my 2003 AMCAS application. However, I am currently working in California, and put down my CA address as my preferred mailing address. Will this make med schools think I'm not a true NY resident?

Thanks for any help.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You do need to be carefull. If you are not a student and you live in California, earn an income in California and pay California state income tax, it's really hard to argue that you are still a "resident" of the state of New York.

When you move to a new state for more than a brief time (unless, in some circumstances, you are a student), you must reregister you car and get a new driver's license. You can actually get a ticket for driving without a license if you live in a state and haven't gotton a new license.

In any event, determination of state residency is usually made by the financial aid office. They will only know what you tell them, although they might want to see you state tax forms...

Good Luck,

Ed