State of Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOTsoccer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure how to determine my state of residency. I plan on applying this upcoming cycle and I currently live in Florida. I have lived in Florida for the last 20 months and plan to live here until I matriculate somewhere. However, prior to that I had lived in Pennsylvania my whole life. How do I determine if I am a FL or PA resident?

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you've been out of school, have a job, and have been paying taxes you're likely a Florida resident. This varies by state. You could still obviously claim strong ties to Pennsylvania in the narrative portion of your application. In general, if you're somewhere primarily for school it won't count towards establishing residence.

Here are some representative guidelines from UCF and Temple.

If I recall, schools may even use different criteria for establishing residence with regard to admission versus tuition.

Assuming you've been out of school, have a job, and have been paying taxes you're likely a Florida resident. This varies by state. You could still obviously claim strong ties to Pennsylvania in the narrative portion of your application. In general, if you're somewhere primarily for school it won't count towards establishing residence.

Here are some representative guidelines from UCF and Temple.

If I recall, schools may even use different criteria for establishing residence with regard to admission versus tuition.
Thank you for the help. And yes I plan to discuss my strong ties to PA in my application